negative temperature workaround

Old October 20th 03, 10:56 PM
Lurch

Default negative temperature workaround

I've recently bought a DFI Lanparty with nForce chipset.
I've built it in my rig with a Prometeia cooler.
The CPU temp is around -5C.

The mobo reports the temp as following:

actual-----shows
-10C 246C
- 5C 251C
- 4C 252C
- 3C 253C
- 2C 254C
- 1C 255C
0C 0C
1C 1C
2C 2C
5C 3C
10C 10C

The mobo has got a safety built in, it turns off the computer if
cpu temperature is 110C.

You've guessed it, I'm not able to boot, because my mobo thinks
the cpu is 250C !
I've tried a lot to keep the temps high, ridicously high voltages,
turning the Prometeia almost off, but temps keep dropping below zero,
and if I (need to) reboot, there is no boot.
I have to let the whole thing warm up, and I can boot again.
Does anyone know a workaround? I can't disable the feature.......

TIA

Lurch

Old October 21st 03, 01:11 AM
David Maynard

Lurch wrote:
[...]

The first question is, why is your CPU at -5C?

Disable the shutdown on temp.

Old October 21st 03, 04:11 AM
Arthur Hagen

Lurch wrote:

I've built it in my rig with a Prometeia cooler.

Doesn't that answer your question?

Disable the shutdown on temp.

Lurch also wrote:

I can't disable the feature.......

So he should disable the shutdown on temp when he can't disable the shutdown
on temp? Oookay. Time to start reading what people post before you spew
off an answer, perhaps?

To answer Lurch: It appears that your BIOS is interpreting the temperature
as an unsigned byte, which can have values from 0..255. The sensor, on the
other hand, works with signed bytes, which has the values -128..127. The
values from 0-127 are the same, but values from 0x80 to 0xff are interpreted
differently by the BIOS and the sensor chip.
This is a BIOS flaw, and I advise you to contact the Mobo manufacturer,
explaining that they have a problem as described above, with signed versus
unsigned bytes. Short of hacking the BIOS, or moving/removing the sensor
probe itself, there's little you can do yourself.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old October 21st 03, 04:27 AM
Slash

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:11:05 -0500, David Maynard
scribbled:

Lurch wrote:
I've recently bought a DFI Lanparty with nForce chipset.
I've built it in my rig with a Prometeia cooler.

[snip]

-------------------------------------------^^^^^

The first question is, why is your CPU at -5C?

He's running a Prometeia, which uses R404 (or similar) to cool the die
to subzero.

Disable the shutdown on temp.

I can't imagine an enthusiast motherboard that wouldn't have an option
to disable the CPU temperature sensor, and doing this should indeed
fix the problem.. You may have to use a standard heatsink first if it
won't even let you post, in order to set the options so that they
ignore the temperature when the prommy is put back on.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion
Old October 21st 03, 05:06 AM
kony

Lurch also wrote:

I can't disable the feature.......

So he should disable the shutdown on temp when he can't disable the shutdown
on temp? Oookay. Time to start reading what people post before you spew
off an answer, perhaps?

To answer Lurch: It appears that your BIOS is interpreting the temperature
as an unsigned byte, which can have values from 0..255. The sensor, on the
other hand, works with signed bytes, which has the values -128..127. The
values from 0-127 are the same, but values from 0x80 to 0xff are interpreted
differently by the BIOS and the sensor chip.
This is a BIOS flaw, and I advise you to contact the Mobo manufacturer,
explaining that they have a problem as described above, with signed versus
unsigned bytes. Short of hacking the BIOS, or moving/removing the sensor
probe itself, there's little you can do yourself.

Regards,

Perhaps he could attach a POT to the thermal diode and Vs to pull the
output up some?

Dave
Old October 21st 03, 11:12 AM
PeteVine

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:56:29 +0000, Lurch tremente scripsit manu:

I've recently bought a DFI Lanparty with nForce chipset. I've built it in
my rig with a Prometeia cooler. The CPU temp is around -5C.

To go around this problem you should change to air-cooling which which
will get you positive temps. Then you'll be able to post and enter the
BIOS.

--
PeteVine
12:11pm up 8 days, 16:03, 5 users, load average: 6.23, 4.89, 2.96

Old October 21st 03, 12:12 PM
Lurch

"Arthur Hagen" wrote in message
Lurch wrote:
[...]

the shutdown temp can be changed, but the field is lightcoloured,
so I need to change something else first, I've tried cpu interface and
system performance to aggressive but no change yet....

I'm going to mail DFI, because it might be a good board (lots of extras)
the BIOS is a complete mess! I'm used to MSI, Abit and Asus....
they all handle -0 temps..

thanks for the advise, I will mail DFI.
I've checked for new bios, but no info about this problem, maybe in the
next bios update they will think of me

Lurch

Old October 21st 03, 05:56 PM
\(\) |V| 3 G A

Lurch wrote:
[...]

because he is using the rather nice and pricey prometeia. it is sub-zero
cooling. however, the prommy will go alot lower than this (i`ve seen
around -35 to -40c)

tim

Old October 22nd 03, 09:15 AM
David Maynard

Lurch wrote:

I've built it in my rig with a Prometeia cooler.

Doesn't that answer your question?

No, because I didn't know there was anything 'special' about a Prometeia
'cooler' so I asked how it got to -5C.

Your answer didn't provide any illumination either but I have since looked
it up.

Lurch also wrote:

I can't disable the feature.......

So he should disable the shutdown on temp when he can't disable the shutdown
on temp? Oookay. Time to start reading what people post before you spew
off an answer, perhaps?

Except I 'spewed' after I downloaded and read the manual, which not only
says it can be disabled but shows it as disabled in the 'example' BIOS
screen for that section.

To quote:

3.1.7.4 Shutdown Temperature
You can prevent the system from overheating by selecting a
temperature in this field. If the system detected that its temperature
exceeded the one set in this field, it will automatically shutdown. --This
function will work only when you enable this function in the Winbond
Hardware Monitor utility.-- (emphasis added)

If it "will work only when you enable this function" then it can be disabled.

Old October 22nd 03, 09:24 AM
David Maynard

Lurch wrote:

I've recently bought a DFI Lanparty with nForce chipset.
I've built it in my rig with a Prometeia cooler.

[snip]

-------------------------------------------^^^^^

The first question is, why is your CPU at -5C?

He's running a Prometeia, which uses R404 (or similar) to cool the die
to subzero.

Thanks. I hadn't heard of that one before but that prompted me to look it
up. Whew! Ain't one of the 'economy' cooling solutions, is it?

Disable the shutdown on temp.

I can't imagine an enthusiast motherboard that wouldn't have an option
to disable the CPU temperature sensor, and doing this should indeed
fix the problem.. You may have to use a standard heatsink first if it
won't even let you post, in order to set the options so that they
ignore the temperature when the prommy is put back on.

Good suggestion.

The manual clearly says it can be disabled but it isn't so clear on how one
does it.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"