new install broke suspend/hibernate - help!

Old March 13th 07, 02:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Default new install broke suspend/hibernate - help!

I finally got my new HD from Dell. I reinstalled XP, resintalled the
drivers from Dell's website, and now everything works except stand-by
and hibernate. Does anyone know what magic incantation or file I need
to get these to work again?

Thanks.

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.lashon.net/
Old March 13th 07, 04:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Lordoftenbroke

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message

I finally got my new HD from Dell. I reinstalled XP, resintalled the
drivers from Dell's website, and now everything works except stand-by
and hibernate. Does anyone know what magic incantation or file I need
to get these to work again?

Thanks.

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.lashon.net/

Try this, go to power options in control panel, make sure that the check box
is ticked under 'Hibernate'

I had the same problem when I re-installed XP.

HTH.

Old March 13th 07, 06:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

I finally got my new HD from Dell. I reinstalled XP, resintalled the
drivers from Dell's website, and now everything works except stand-by
and hibernate. Does anyone know what magic incantation or file I need
to get these to work again?

Try this, go to power options in control panel, make sure that the check box
is ticked under 'Hibernate'

I already tried that. Didn't help. (Dell, of course, won't help
either....)

Anyone?

-Joel

EXIF data for any image or web page: http://exif.posted-online.com

Old March 13th 07, 08:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
I finally got my new HD from Dell. I reinstalled XP, resintalled the
drivers from Dell's website, and now everything works except stand-by
and hibernate. Does anyone know what magic incantation or file I need
to get these to work again?

...take 2 goats...

I thought you had to use chickens.....
Damn it's so hard keeeping up to date with the latest technology.

Old March 13th 07, 10:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

...take 2 goats...
I thought you had to use chickens.....
Damn it's so hard keeeping up to date with the latest technology.

Chickens are generally OK with *nix systems, but if you're talking about
something M$ produced, go for the hard stuff every time :-}

I hope it works - virgins are the fallback, and getting any around here
has become quite difficult !
Old March 13th 07, 10:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message ...
...take 2 goats...

I thought you had to use chickens.....
Damn it's so hard keeeping up to date with the latest technology.

Chickens are generally OK with *nix systems, but if you're talking about
something M$ produced, go for the hard stuff every time :-}

I hope it works - virgins are the fallback, and getting any around here
has become quite difficult !

Strap a car bomb to yourself and I think you qualify for 70 virgins

Old March 13th 07, 10:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
WSZsr

Did you install the chipset software before any drivers? Did you install
any non-Dell drivers? Using standby issues are driver related.

Old March 15th 07, 12:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Did you install the chipset software before any drivers? Did you install
any non-Dell drivers? Using standby issues are driver related.

The only non-Dell drivers are the ones I had before. Yes, I installed
the chipset s/w. I don't know what order I did it in.... I grabbed
the stuff from Dell's website, and didn't see an order in which the
files were to be installed.

To be clear: the stand-by and hibernate options are greyed out. The
problem is not that they don't work. I don't even get as far as them
not working.

Old March 15th 07, 03:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

are you sure that device manager shows no other question marks meaning
devices that dont have proper drivers.
this sounds like a chipset issue to me.
ACPI to be exact.
you can also try and delete the acpi items from in the device manager
(under system topic) and then reboot and they could get reinstalled.

the power management could also be disabled undere the bios options, did
you check there?

also, do you have all your updates installed and on SP2?
there might be patches to make this work better, depending on what disk
you installed from.