Biggest bang for buck amd processor.

Old April 18th 04, 06:24 AM
Post Replies Here Please

Default Biggest bang for buck amd processor.

Hi,

I was totally confused looking at the AMD model line for 32 bit the
other day. Different front side buses and different cpu cache sizes.
Of course the famous amd rating system is confusing to me at least.

Does anyone know a site that has ratings for the best bang for the
buck amd 32 bit processor? Best price/performance ratio.

Does a 512k cache really make a difference? Does a 333 FSB bus really
that slower than a 400 FSB? I'm looking at the athlon 32 bit lineup.

Thanks,

Alan
Old April 18th 04, 06:43 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:24:01 -0500, Post Replies Here Please wrote:

Hi,

I was totally confused looking at the AMD model line for 32 bit the
other day. Different front side buses and different cpu cache sizes.
Of course the famous amd rating system is confusing to me at least.

The FSB rating is just what the default is. You can change it with most
MB's. I've run my 2100+ with a default 133MHz FSB at 215MHz, although I
normally run it at 2700+ speeds of 13x166.

Does anyone know a site that has ratings for the best bang for the buck
amd 32 bit processor? Best price/performance ratio.

None that I'd trust, as prices change so often.

Does a 512k cache really make a difference? Does a 333 FSB bus really
that slower than a 400 FSB? I'm looking at the athlon 32 bit lineup.

The default bus speed doesn't matter. The extra cache helps with
performance overall. The best bang for the buck is probably the 2500+ or
2600+ Barton cores along with a MB that allows FSB changes and at least
PC3200 ram. The default multiplier for the 2500+ is 11 and 11.5 for the
2600+. Set the FSB to 200 with the 2500+ and you end up with a 3200+. The
2600+ ran at 200MHz FSB ends up a 3300+. Most will go this high and higher
although there's no gaurantees.
You can easily search back though the group for examples.

Old April 18th 04, 03:37 PM
Post Replies Here Please

Thanks looks like good information. Don't hit me too hard on this
stupid question.

How you tell if the cpu has a barton core? Checking some of the web
sites that sale these cpus don't mention what core a cpu has.

Thanks

"Wes" == Wes Newell writes:

Wes On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:24:01 -0500, Post Replies Here Please
Wes wrote:
Hi,

I was totally confused looking at the AMD model line for 32 bit
the other day. Different front side buses and different cpu cache
sizes. Of course the famous amd rating system is confusing to me
at least.

Wes The FSB rating is just what the default is. You can change it
Wes with most MB's. I've run my 2100+ with a default 133MHz FSB at
Wes 215MHz, although I normally run it at 2700+ speeds of 13x166.

Does anyone know a site that has ratings for the best bang for the
buck amd 32 bit processor? Best price/performance ratio.

Wes None that I'd trust, as prices change so often.

Does a 512k cache really make a difference? Does a 333 FSB bus
really that slower than a 400 FSB? I'm looking at the athlon 32
bit lineup.

Wes The default bus speed doesn't matter. The extra cache helps with
Wes performance overall. The best bang for the buck is probably the
Wes 2500+ or 2600+ Barton cores along with a MB that allows FSB
Wes changes and at least PC3200 ram. The default multiplier for the
Wes 2500+ is 11 and 11.5 for the 2600+. Set the FSB to 200 with the
Wes 2500+ and you end up with a 3200+. The 2600+ ran at 200MHz FSB
Wes ends up a 3300+. Most will go this high and higher although
Wes there's no gaurantees. You can easily search back though the
Wes group for examples.

Wes -- Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
Wes http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Old April 18th 04, 08:28 PM
doughy2002

Barton cpu's come in a few flavours, 2500xp 2600xp 2800xp 3000xp and 3200xp
and they all have 512kb of level 2 cache. Other AMD cpu's available at the
moment are the Thoroughbred Core and come in all other speeds but you can
get 2600xp, 2800xp T/breds also.
Im pretty sure thats correct im sure someone will put me right if im wrong.

doughnut

Old April 18th 04, 09:06 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:37:47 -0500, Post Replies Here Please wrote:

How you tell if the cpu has a barton core? Checking some of the web
sites that sale these cpus don't mention what core a cpu has.

All barton cores have 512K L2 cache, and the part number ends with the
last numeric character being a 4 to indicate the 512K cache size. Perhaps
better explained here.

http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

Old April 18th 04, 10:11 PM
S.Heenan

Post Replies Here Please wrote:
Thanks looks like good information. Don't hit me too hard on this
stupid question.

How you tell if the cpu has a barton core? Checking some of the web
sites that sale these cpus don't mention what core a cpu has.

The 2500+ only comes as a Barton core, with 512KB L2 cache. The 2600+ can be
a Barton or T-Bred core, the latter having 256KB L2 cache.

Old April 19th 04, 12:53 PM
lazya

Also if you have a motherboard that can adjust multipliers - the Barton core also has mobile chips
in the 2500/2600 that are multiplier unlocked.

Even if it looks like it comes from your credit card company.
"S.Heenan" wrote in message news:xaCgc.173657$oR5.94089@pd7tw3no...
Post Replies Here Please wrote:
Thanks looks like good information. Don't hit me too hard on this
stupid question.

How you tell if the cpu has a barton core? Checking some of the web
sites that sale these cpus don't mention what core a cpu has.

The 2500+ only comes as a Barton core, with 512KB L2 cache. The 2600+ can be
a Barton or T-Bred core, the latter having 256KB L2 cache.

How to know wether a failure is in the processor or the mobo? a.m. General 1 November 19th 04 08:55 PM
Second processor Federico General 7 October 29th 04 12:11 AM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 12:01 PM
PII vs PIII Gregory L. Hansen General 114 October 15th 03 05:56 PM
PC building - problem num. 1: cannot install processor (help)! J General 2 August 12th 03 11:18 PM