Problem installing USB printers on Dell 4500

Old August 21st 04, 03:08 AM
Paul Filion

Default Problem installing USB printers on Dell 4500

So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
Stylus
USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

Old August 21st 04, 03:52 AM
Ben Myers

Some printer driver installs want you to connect up the printer first, then run
the install. Others want you to install first, then hook up the printer. Many
printer software installs for USB printers fail to work properly if their rigid
pain-in-the-backside rules are not followed exactly.

Check USB cable connections at both ends.

Possibly try another USB cable?

Long USB cables sometimes do not work worth a darn. I had to replace a 50' USB
cable which my client wanted, connecting the printer instead to another computer
with a much shorter cable. Then his USB printer began working like a real
printer.

That's about all I can suggest without any further symptoms which you need to
provide, e.g. error messages, etc... Ben Myers

Old August 21st 04, 04:22 AM
Paul Filion

Hi Ben,

To verify the printer and USB cable, I successfully installed the printer on
our Dell Laptop
but have not been successful on the Dell Dimension 4550.

I had the same problem a while back trying to install a HP LaserJet and gave
up and
installed it on another PC.

Seems I cannot install a USB printer on this Dimension for some reason. I
have installed
a USB scanner, memory card reader, digital camera with no issues.

Wondering if printers require more power from the USB port than other USB
devices.

When I plugin the printer Windows XP recognizes new hardware are USB printer
but
not that it is a EPSON Stylus R200 like the laptop did.

Old August 21st 04, 05:02 AM
Quaoar

Paul Filion wrote:
So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
Stylus
USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

Is your user account fully administrative?

Old August 21st 04, 11:28 AM
Molly

Interface and Connectivity

a.. USB 1.1 for PC and Macintosh connection
b.. Front and rear USB ports for computer connection only
(not simultaneous)

Old August 21st 04, 02:37 PM
Tom Scales

More information on the exact symptoms would help. Is it a 4500 or 4550?
You mention both in your two posts.

My Dimension 4550 has:

Epson 1270 inkjet
Samsung ML1710 Laser
Epson 7600 inkjet

All attached via USB. The Epson 7600 is a 24 inch wide rollpaper photo
printer, so it's a pretty big printer and it works fine. The same machine
has a Hauppauge WinTV USB PVR2, a USB Wireless keyboard and mouse, a Seiko
label printer and three USB2 hard drives attached.

Tom

Old August 21st 04, 07:22 PM
Paul Filion

I made a typo on the original post, it is a Dimension 4550.
On this system I have a USB HP Scanjet 3500C, USB mouse, usb memory card
reader, and have connected a digital camera all with no issue.

The original printer I have was a parallel printer and then wanted to add a
HP Laserjet but
had no success and ended up installing on another system and then accessed
it through
our home network. At this time I thought it might be a HP driver issue.

Now I purchased the EPSON Stylus PHOTO R200 mainly for the feature of CD/DVD
printing capability. Since this printer will not install on this Dimension
4550 I suspect
something wrong on this Dell.

Regarding the HP LaserJet I had successfully installed it on our Dell Laptop
and another Dimension
4550. The only real difference I could find between the two Dimension
systems is the one were
the USB printer installs successfully has bios version A02 while the other
Dimension as a newer
bios, A08. I tried to go back to an older bios but it would not let me.

I tried installing the EPSON on the laptop and it installed with no problems
so I know the printer
is ok and the USB cable is ok.

It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified as
what it's full description is,
only as a USB printer and then when it looks for an entry in the inf file it
can't find it.

Thanks,

Paul

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
Computer Name DELL266 (Dell In
Den)
User Name Paul
Logon Domain DELL266

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A,
2657 MHz (5 x 531)
Motherboard Name Dell Computer
Corporation Dimension 4550
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale
i845PE
System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR
SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (09/23/03)
Communication Port Communications Port
(COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port
(LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
420 (64 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX
420
Monitor ViewSonic A90
(NP93101116)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter IC Ensemble M Audio
Audiophile

Storage:
Disk Drive WDC WD16 00JB-00DUA3
SCSI Disk Device
Disk Drive WDC WD300BB-75DEA0
Disk Drive WDC WD800BB-53BSA0
Optical Drive _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A
(DVD:4x/2.4x/12x, CD:16x/10x/40x DVD+RW)
Optical Drive AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI
CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI
CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive NERO IMAGEDRIVE2
SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual CD-ROM)

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 28568 MB
E: (NTFS) 76316 MB
G: (NTFS) 152625 MB

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key
or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Logitech-compatible
Mouse PS/2

Network:
Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE
Network Connection

Peripherals:
Printer \\Linda\hp LaserJet
1012
Printer Auto Broderbund PDF
Creator on KAYLA-COMPUTER
Printer Auto HP DeskJet 880C
Series Printer on KAYLA-COMPUTER
Printer Auto HP DeskJet 882C
on DELLDT
Printer Auto hp LaserJet
1012 on DELLDT
Printer Broderbund PDF
Creator
Printer DocuCom PDF Driver
Printer FinePrint 2000
Printer hp deskjet 930c
series
USB Device HP Scanjet 3500c Series

Old August 21st 04, 08:30 PM
Ben Myers

"It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified as
what it's full description is, only as a USB printer and then when it looks for
an entry in the inf file it can't find it."

This is usually symptomatic of a faulty installation CD, i.e. one which does not
properly take into account the software or maybe hardware conditions found on
your computer.

Faulty printer and scanner software installs are an absolute plague in this
industry... Ben Myers

SNIP
Old August 21st 04, 09:57 PM
Paul Filion

Hi Ben.

That is exactly what I believe is happening also but I'm not sure about the
faulty installation CD as I can install the printer on another system.

I think it has something to do with the USB drivers. I tried removing the
USB drivers and then rebooted but windows would then not find drivers
for the USB host hubs.