PC beeping sound???

Old February 2nd 17, 06:15 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default PC beeping sound???

Recently my computer, an HP Compaq, has started making a beeping sound
sometimes. It's not very loud but is an obvious beep. Sometimes it only beeps
once from time to time but other times it goes on a beeping rampage beeping
twice quickly and then a space of just under a second, then 2 beeps then rest...
and it does that for about a minute or more and then stops. Does that mean a
battery is going dead or something? I see what I believe says CR2032 battery on
the mother board. Could that need replacing, or is it likely to be something
else? If that's it is there a trick to it to prevent losing memory or anything?
Can anyone tell me the correct procedure, if there is one?

Thank you for any help!
Old February 2nd 17, 10:12 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

glendorf wrote:
Recently my computer, an HP Compaq, has started making a beeping sound
sometimes. It's not very loud but is an obvious beep. Sometimes it only beeps
once from time to time but other times it goes on a beeping rampage beeping
twice quickly and then a space of just under a second, then 2 beeps then rest...
and it does that for about a minute or more and then stops. Does that mean a
battery is going dead or something? I see what I believe says CR2032 battery on
the mother board. Could that need replacing, or is it likely to be something
else? If that's it is there a trick to it to prevent losing memory or anything?
Can anyone tell me the correct procedure, if there is one?

Thank you for any help!

You can test the battery without removing it.

Clip a multimeter onto an I/O screw on the back of the
computer for a ground (black) connection. Then, use the red
lead to probe the top surface of the CR2032 to check the
voltage. It should read around 3.1V when new. When the
battery drops to around 2.3V, the Southbridge is no
longer guaranteed to run the CMOS clock properly
below that point. It takes around 3 weeks from that
point, for the CR2032 battery to go completely dead.

A small percentage of computer models, will not
start when the battery is completely flat.

*******

Other than that, it would help to mention the model number
of the Compaq. As some of them have specific design issues.

Beeping comes from:

1) BIOS POST activity (testing at startup).

2) OS detected issue with HID buffer overflow.
3) A program (like an email notification) using the beeper.
4) SMI (system management interrupt) BIOS activity during runtime,
detecting a parameter which is not within bounds. On overheat,
a "police car siren" can be heard. Modern systems have
THERMTRIP, and there is less need for theatrics - the
computer will turn itself off, if the CPU is too hot.

Two beeps and silence, sounds like an SMI routine (4), but
there are no real standards for some of this stuff. So we
have to track it down using the model number, and anecdotal
stories.

There are many possibilities.

Paul
Old February 3rd 17, 03:13 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 2/2/2017 2:15 PM, glendorf wrote:
Recently my computer, an HP Compaq, has started making a beeping sound
sometimes. It's not very loud but is an obvious beep. Sometimes it only beeps
once from time to time but other times it goes on a beeping rampage beeping
twice quickly and then a space of just under a second, then 2 beeps then rest...
and it does that for about a minute or more and then stops. Does that mean a
battery is going dead or something? I see what I believe says CR2032 battery on
the mother board. Could that need replacing, or is it likely to be something
else? If that's it is there a trick to it to prevent losing memory or anything?
Can anyone tell me the correct procedure, if there is one?

Check the date using the BIOS screen next time it beeps. If the date was
wrong, then it's time to replace the CMOS CR2032 battery.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Old February 3rd 17, 03:15 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Default PC beeping sound??? NSA hack?

On 2/2/2017 8:54 PM, burfordTjustice wrote:

That is the sound made when the NSA accesses your computer
and clones your hard drive.

No precedent heard so far. Unlikely to happen as well. The NSA and other
hacks you mentioned could not work without Window$ loaded, I believe.
They are Window$ the operating system hacks to be accurate.

So find us a true, interesting story, please.

Old February 3rd 17, 03:16 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 2/3/2017 11:13 PM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
[...]

.... I meant *BEFORE* Window$ was loaded.

Old February 3rd 17, 04:06 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Duffy

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 23:16:41 +0800, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

On 2/3/2017 11:13 PM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 2/2/2017 2:15 PM, glendorf wrote:

Check the date using the BIOS screen next time it beeps. If the date was
wrong, then it's time to replace the CMOS CR2032 battery.

... I meant *BEFORE* Window$ was loaded.

Read what SSS wrote, and check the time in the BIOS before Windows loads.
Old February 7th 17, 04:34 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mynews

wrote in message

has started making a beeping sound sometimes.

When Do You hear
The Sound
Is At The Start Of The PC ?

One Beep can Be The Keyboard