How to view what the hard drive is doing?

Old October 12th 16, 11:03 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Pwr@p.

Default How to view what the hard drive is doing?

Hi,

Often when I'm just sitting there reading or doing something that's not
bothering the hard drive, or right after it has booted up but I haven't started
using it yet, I can hear the hard drive crank up and start making it's busy
noises when it seems like there should be nothing for it to do. Is there a way
to view what it IS doing? If so, can we tell if it's a virus or malware or
something, and find out where they are so we can try to get rid of them?

Thanks!
Old October 13th 16, 02:42 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Diesel[_2_]

Pwr@p. Wed, 12 Oct
2016 22:03:24 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

Hi,

Often when I'm just sitting there reading or doing something
that's not bothering the hard drive, or right after it has booted
up but I haven't started using it yet, I can hear the hard drive
crank up and start making it's busy noises when it seems like
there should be nothing for it to do. Is there a way to view what
it IS doing? If so, can we tell if it's a virus or malware or
something, and find out where they are so we can try to get rid of
them?

You could use Process Monitor by Sys Internals if you want to see which
program(s) may be reading/writing data. Or, Diskmon if you just want to
see what the HD is doing. As in, read/write, time, sector, bytes
written/read.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...processmonitor
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ernals/diskmon

The older versions of Sysinternals apps supported XP, this suite
partially does. Diskmon works, Process Monitor does not. I didn't check
all of them, but, it's unlikely the majority are partially/fully
functional on XP.

--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.
Old October 13th 16, 08:25 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Robert Baer[_2_]

Diesel wrote:
[...]

And...what about Win2K?

Old October 13th 16, 08:54 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Robert Baer wrote:
Diesel wrote:
[...]

ProcMon uses the ETW subsystem. Which is present
on WinXP or later.

"Event Tracing for Windows"
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ntd...-and-overview/

"Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) is a system and
software diagnostic, troubleshooting and performance
monitoring component of Windows that has been around
since Windows 2000."

So we just have to step into a Time Machine and go back
and grab a copy. No problemo.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080921.../bb896645.aspx

"Process Monitor runs on Windows 2000 SP4 with Update Rollup 1,
Windows XP SP2, Windows Server 2003 SP1, and Windows Vista
as well as x64 versions of Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 SP1
and Windows Vista."

I hope your Win2K is fully patched...

HTH,
Paul
Old October 15th 16, 05:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 6:03:33 AM UTC+8, P...@p wrote:
Hi,

Often when I'm just sitting there reading or doing something that's not
bothering the hard drive, or right after it has booted up but I haven't started
using it yet, I can hear the hard drive crank up and start making it's busy
noises when it seems like there should be nothing for it to do. Is there a way
to view what it IS doing? If so, can we tell if it's a virus or malware or
something, and find out where they are so we can try to get rid of them?

Thanks!

Possibly Windoze making a backup of the registry, if it is the first time
you turn on PC that day. It seems to wait until system is idle, so users
are then startled "WTF is this stoopid thrashing disk?"
Old October 15th 16, 06:16 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 12/10/2016 6:03 PM, Pwr@p. wrote:
Hi,

Often when I'm just sitting there reading or doing something that's not
bothering the hard drive, or right after it has booted up but I haven't started
using it yet, I can hear the hard drive crank up and start making it's busy
noises when it seems like there should be nothing for it to do. Is there a way
to view what it IS doing? If so, can we tell if it's a virus or malware or
something, and find out where they are so we can try to get rid of them?

Thanks!

With Windows 7 and later, you can use the Resource Monitor utility
(Resmon.exe).

Yousuf Khan

Old October 15th 16, 08:32 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
David B

On 15-Oct-16 6:16 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 12/10/2016 6:03 PM, Pwr@p. wrote:
Hi,

Often when I'm just sitting there reading or doing something that's not
bothering the hard drive, or right after it has booted up but I
haven't started
using it yet, I can hear the hard drive crank up and start making it's
busy
noises when it seems like there should be nothing for it to do. Is
there a way
to view what it IS doing? If so, can we tell if it's a virus or
malware or
something, and find out where they are so we can try to get rid of them?

Thanks!

With Windows 7 and later, you can use the Resource Monitor utility
(Resmon.exe).

Yousuf Khan

Thanks for this, Yousuf! :-)

I pasted Resmon.exe into the 'Ask me anything' box and was amazed at how
much information was then at my fingertips!

--
David B.
"The truth begins in your heart".
Old November 30th 17, 04:51 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 15/10/2016 1:32 PM, David B wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I sort of stumbled into Resmon by accident one day, when I noticed
an extra button at the bottom of Task Manager that I never noticed
before, and I clicked on it! :-D

--
Sent from Giganews on Thunderbird on my Toshiba laptop
Old November 30th 17, 10:12 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
David B.[_3_]

On 30/11/2017 03:51, Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

I do things like that too! ;-)

--
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick
themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” (Winston S.