Power Options section greyed out in Display Properties

Old April 27th 08, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default Power Options section greyed out in Display Properties

I've had three different nVidia cards in this machine and for the past
6 months the Power Schemes sections have been greyed out in the
Power Options, Screen Saver, Display Properties box. The 21" Dell
990 monitor used to go into `Turn off monitor´ energy saving mode
after 10 mins. I really need this feature to work again with the hot
weather coming around. Any suggestions on how to re-enable?
Running 32MB Riva TNT2 card with 44.03 drives.

-G

Old April 27th 08, 12:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'g'-G' wrote:
I've had three different nVidia cards in this machine and for the past
6 months the Power Schemes sections have been greyed out in the
Power Options, Screen Saver, Display Properties box. The 21" Dell
990 monitor used to go into `Turn off monitor´ energy saving mode
after 10 mins. I really need this feature to work again with the hot
weather coming around. Any suggestions on how to re-enable?
Running 32MB Riva TNT2 card with 44.03 drives.

_____

As long as we're taking a walk down memory lane, why not throw in the name
of the operating system? I don't know if I can remember that far back, but
the function you are describing has nothing to do with the display adapter
or its drivers, and everything to do with the monitor and operating system.

Phil Weldon

news

Old April 27th 08, 03:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:58:08 -0400, "Phil Weldon"
brought the following to our attention:

'g'-G' wrote:
I've had three different nVidia cards in this machine and for the past
6 months the Power Schemes sections have been greyed out in the
Power Options, Screen Saver, Display Properties box. The 21" Dell
990 monitor used to go into `Turn off monitor´ energy saving mode
after 10 mins. I really need this feature to work again with the hot
weather coming around. Any suggestions on how to re-enable?
Running 32MB Riva TNT2 card with 44.03 drives.

_____

As long as we're taking a walk down memory lane, why not throw in the name
of the operating system? I don't know if I can remember that far back, but
the function you are describing has nothing to do with the display adapter
or its drivers, and everything to do with the monitor and operating system.

Phil Weldon

Yes of course.. forgot to mention that the OS is Win 2000 Wkstn. The
Power Options, Power Schemes, "Turn off monitor", "Turns off hard
disks", etc. fields are all greyed out (four all together) and the box
heading for these is labelled "Unknown".

The energy saver system worked fine before, but is disabled now.
I thought it could be a system BIOS setting, so may post in the Dell
forum. Box is Dell 610 Workstation. Please, no jokes or remarks
about my trusty old SCSI machine. )

-G

Old April 27th 08, 04:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

'g'-G' wrote:
[...]

Go into the BIOS and look for the page devoted to power management and
find the entries that refer to your monitors PM: such as DPMS, or
V+SYNC, or BLANK.

In Win2K, make sure you have your monitor driver loaded and active for
the primary monitor. Check device manager to make sure ACPI is loaded
and not APM, and no other drivers are disabled or inoperative.

When you change your video card/drivers you must reload your monitor
drivers, or strange things can happen.
Old April 27th 08, 11:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 23:54:21 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!"

'g'-G' wrote:
[...]

Will go into the BIOS on next reboot.

In Win2K, make sure you have your monitor driver loaded and active for
the primary monitor. Check device manager to make sure ACPI is loaded
and not APM, and no other drivers are disabled or inoperative.

Have a utility called http://www.whatsrunning.net/ and ACPI is not
listed in any of the Processes, Services, Modules, or Drivers. Don't
see APM either.

When you change your video card/drivers you must reload your monitor
drivers, or strange things can happen.

The diver displaying name Dell P990 is loaded, which is "monitor8.inf"
as well. Where in Device Manager do I look for ACPI?

-G

Old April 27th 08, 05:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

wrote:

Will go into the BIOS on next reboot.

Any luck?

Have a utility called
http://www.whatsrunning.net/ and ACPI is not
listed in any of the Processes, Services, Modules, or Drivers. Don't
see APM either.

The diver displaying name Dell P990 is loaded, which is "monitor8.inf"
as well. Where in Device Manager do I look for ACPI?

ACPI (or APM...two different methods of managing powers states in your
PC) It is a parent driver of your system, at the very top of the list,
under Computer, in device manager, most all internal devices are
children of it.

That your monitor drivers are installed is good, it makes reloading them
easier...reinstall them!

When you have all the pieces in place: functioning ACPI settings (best
guess..it is SCSI based), a prior known good state, present device
drivers, you should be back in business.
Old April 27th 08, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:10:41 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!"

wrote:

Will go into the BIOS on next reboot.

Any luck?

I checked in the system BIOS and there are two settings, ACPI was ON and
Power Management (off / minimum / regular) was OFF. I changed it in two
steps to Min, then Reg and the Display Properties, Screen Saver, Power
settings are still all greyed out. It looks like the UPS settings are
there on a separate tab which are totally greyed out too. Now seem to
remember installing a couple versions of BackUps software from APC.
Would that have any affect?

Have a utility called http://www.whatsrunning.net/ and ACPI is not
listed in any of the Processes, Services, Modules, or Drivers. Don't
see APM either.

The diver displaying name Dell P990 is loaded, which is "monitor8.inf"
as well. Where in Device Manager do I look for ACPI?

ACPI (or APM...two different methods of managing powers states in your
PC) It is a parent driver of your system, at the very top of the list,
under Computer, in device manager, most all internal devices are
children of it.

That your monitor drivers are installed is good, it makes reloading them
easier...reinstall them!

When you have all the pieces in place: functioning ACPI settings (best
guess..it is SCSI based), a prior known good state, present device
drivers, you should be back in business.

Ok found it.. the current driver/setting is "ACPI Multiprocessor PC".
ALso noticed the ACPI.sys file is compressed in the NTFS file system
(it has a violet color) and seem to recall that none of these can be
compressed? or is that nonsense? Yep.. the system is SCSI and the
monitor power-saver has worked before for a long time.

-G
Old April 27th 08, 11:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:29:32 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!"

wrote:

there on a separate tab which are totally greyed out too. Now seem to
remember installing a couple versions of BackUps software from APC.
Would that have any affect?

At this point, since everything else seems to be in order, I'd look in
that software and see if it might be the cause.

The way you describe it, it should work. But as you are aware, unrelated
things aren't so unrelated in the PC world.

What do you think the problem is?

I've uninstalled the BackUps software and ran SFC (system file check)
from the CMD prompt. It went through and checked/restored all system
files against the W2K Install CD, Then rebooted and the power controls
are still greyed out.

All I want to do at this point is set the monitor to go into Energy
Saver mode after 15 minutes. Don't know what the problems is now.
I could switch with a known good energy monitor and system to see
how that goes. The dang things are too heavy to be switchin'. )

-G

Power Options Properties for 610 Wotkstation [email protected] Dell Computers 1 October 23rd 07 03:33 AM
Presario 2100 broken power connector (new section) marco1190 Compaq Computers 1 April 5th 07 01:12 AM
Display properties Jim Dell Computers 3 August 13th 06 04:12 PM
nView Display Mode is greyed out when using Windows Media Player? [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 6 January 20th 06 02:33 AM
In Power Options properties there are options aaa General Hardware 0 February 2nd 04 10:59 AM