Canon IP5000 light cyan and light magenta gone

Old March 15th 08, 03:46 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Christopher Jones

Default Canon IP5000 light cyan and light magenta gone

On the nozzle check pattern, the light cyan and light magenta stripes
are completely missing. Have tried everything I can think of: nozzle
cleaning, nozzle deep cleaning, print head alignment, new ink tanks, new
print head, remove and reinstall drivers, but the problem persists.

Is there anything else I can try before consigning this printer to
oblivion?

Old March 15th 08, 04:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Are you and have you always used Canon ink.  I have an IP4000 which in computer terms is getting long in the tooth and am not having any problems.

Old March 15th 08, 04:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
irwell

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 21:46:13 -0500, Christopher Jones
wrote:

On the nozzle check pattern, the light cyan and light magenta stripes
are completely missing. Have tried everything I can think of: nozzle
cleaning, nozzle deep cleaning, print head alignment, new ink tanks, new
print head, remove and reinstall drivers, but the problem persists.

Is there anything else I can try before consigning this printer to
oblivion?

Does it print images with these colors otherwise?
Old March 15th 08, 04:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DanG

"Christopher Jones" wrote in
message ...

On the nozzle check pattern, the light cyan and light magenta stripes
are completely missing. Have tried everything I can think of: nozzle
cleaning, nozzle deep cleaning, print head alignment, new ink tanks, new
print head, remove and reinstall drivers, but the problem persists.

Is there anything else I can try before consigning this printer to
oblivion?

If a new head didn't fix it, then you have a dead printer. At least, not
worth the expense of repairing.

Old March 15th 08, 09:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Christopher Jones wrote:
On the nozzle check pattern, the light cyan and light magenta stripes
are completely missing. Have tried everything I can think of: nozzle
cleaning, nozzle deep cleaning, print head alignment, new ink tanks, new
print head, remove and reinstall drivers, but the problem persists.

Is there anything else I can try before consigning this printer to
oblivion?

Sad eh! Sounds like an electronic problem. Have you cleaned the contacts in the
carriage that mate with the contacts on the printhead? With power off the
printer you can try cleaning them with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol, or
even a slightly damp cloth followed by a dry lint free cloth. The light Cyan
and light Magenta are produced from the standard Cyan and Magenta ink tanks in
this model and use the standard nozzles in the printhead (I believe), there is
a density adjustment made by the printer when printing light colours. This
means that the failure has to be electronic if cleaning the contacts does not
work. Good luck.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old March 16th 08, 06:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Christopher Jones[_2_]

- I have always used Canon inks.
- High quality images print with virtually no cyan or magenta.
- Yes, it's OK for text and low-quality graphics.
- I have about $150 worth of unused BCI ink tanks which are not
compatible with the latest Canon printers.
- I've cleaned the print head contacts with contact cleaner.

I agree with the conclusion that the problem must be with the
electronics which drive the print head. To recoup my investment in ink
and print heads, I think my only hope is to find an unwanted and unloved
IP5000 that someone has discarded after upgrading. Anything going around
Sydney, Australia?

Old March 16th 08, 04:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Have you tried removing and cleaning the head? Some people have
successfully cleaned the head.

Art

Old March 16th 08, 04:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Christopher Jones wrote:

- I have always used Canon inks.
- High quality images print with virtually no cyan or magenta.
- Yes, it's OK for text and low-quality graphics.
- I have about $150 worth of unused BCI ink tanks which are not
compatible with the latest Canon printers.
- I've cleaned the print head contacts with contact cleaner.

I agree with the conclusion that the problem must be with the
electronics which drive the print head. To recoup my investment in ink
and print heads, I think my only hope is to find an unwanted and unloved
IP5000 that someone has discarded after upgrading. Anything going around
Sydney, Australia?

Not a bad idea. So that you may use most of your ink supply you can
also look for an IP4000. You can then use up Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and
black and then get a new modern printer. I would look for a Pro9000 and
you can print larger photos.

Old March 16th 08, 05:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

oops... I missed the fact that you replaced the head, sorry. I can only
suggest you make sure the head contacts are clean and making proper contact.

Art

DanG wrote:
"Christopher Jones" wrote in
message ...