BFG 8800 GTS OC 320mb versus BFG 8800 GTS OC 640mb

Old March 19th 07, 01:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jethro

Default BFG 8800 GTS OC 320mb versus BFG 8800 GTS OC 640mb

BFG GeForce 8800GTS 320MB PCI-e OC Edition CAN$ 399.00
BFG GeForce 8800GTS 640MB PCI-e OC Edition CAN$ 574.00
(local shop prices)

Is the 640mb version worth the extra CAN$175???

The spec out everything the same except for amount of memory.

Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old March 19th 07, 01:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rmd[_2_]

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:01:57 -0400, Jethro wrote:

BFG GeForce 8800GTS 320MB PCI-e OC Edition CAN$ 399.00
BFG GeForce 8800GTS 640MB PCI-e OC Edition CAN$ 574.00
(local shop prices)

Is the 640mb version worth the extra CAN$175???

The spec out everything the same except for amount of memory.

if you plan on adding high res textures in oblivion or other mods in
games.

I always think you can never have too much ram Give it a year or
two and people who say 320mb is enough will be biting their lips
wishing they have more videoram or ram in general.

I remember when I was told 8mb ram was never going to required for my
486dx2-66 when 1mb was standard and 2mb !! was huge.

5 year later my computer was still running fine, while others went
through countless upgrades to try and stay up to date.

I guess you get what you pay for...why be a tightarse when it comes to
the videocard which is pretty much responsible for eveything you see
on your screen - especially if you play games.

There is too much blood in my alcohol system
Old March 19th 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Jethro wrote:
BFG GeForce 8800GTS 320MB PCI-e OC Edition CAN$ 399.00
BFG GeForce 8800GTS 640MB PCI-e OC Edition CAN$ 574.00
(local shop prices)

Is the 640mb version worth the extra CAN$175???

The spec out everything the same except for amount of memory.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1049/11

Paul
Old March 20th 07, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

rmd wrote:
[...]

That may be so but intoxicated or not you understand the issues
regarding available video memory and a better gaming experience through
larger (and assumed therefore better) textures.

Oblivion is the current perfect example, in that so many mods are
available that demand ample video memory for fantastic end results with
little to no performance hit. i.e., Quarl's Landscape Texture
replacement come in 4096x4096 sizes if you choose, which would fit
nicely in a 320M space at 1600x1200 resolution, Being a superior card, I
suspect 1920x1200(WS) would also perform well and have room for the
larger 4M textures.

As always, the OP has not provided what his intended apps or games are,
so who knows what's best...
Old March 21st 07, 02:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Will

Just decided on that myself and went with the 320.

From various reviews they common reply was yes there is a difference

in speed for your everyday use, however it is not much and the extra
money could be spent in ways that would give a bigger speed boost.

however if you are working with monitors in the 30 inch range then you
need the extra memory, in the 24-26 range it can go any way.

another thing to consider is that right now you are paying a high
premium for thoses cards, so you could purchase the 320MB now and then
when prices drop hugly purchase a 640 and SLI them together.

GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB PCI Express x16 Video Card - VCG88GTSXPB AIANDAS Nvidia Videocards 26 March 11th 07 02:33 PM
8800GTS 320MB vs. 8800GTS 640MB 007 Nvidia Videocards 3 February 28th 07 08:36 PM
8800 GTX or not? [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 47 February 7th 07 09:26 PM
8800 gtx Catfish Nvidia Videocards 0 January 6th 07 07:28 AM
nTune and SLI 8800 GTX Reggie Hillier Nvidia Videocards 3 December 3rd 06 02:08 AM