Best bang for buck amd processor.

Old April 18th 04, 06:27 AM
Post Replies Here Please

Default Best bang for buck amd processor.

Hi,

I was totally confused looking at the AMD model line for 32 bit the
other day. Different front side buses and different cpu cache sizes.
Of course the famous amd rating system is confusing to me at least.

Does anyone know a site that has ratings for the best bang for the
buck amd 32 bit processor? Best price/performance ratio.

Does a 512k cache really make a difference? Does a 333 FSB bus really
that slower than a 400 FSB? I'm looking at the athlon 32 bit lineup.

Thanks,

Alan
Old April 18th 04, 07:01 AM
zmike6

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:27:20 -0500, Post Replies Here Please
wrote:

Hi,

I was totally confused looking at the AMD model line for 32 bit the
other day. Different front side buses and different cpu cache sizes.
Of course the famous amd rating system is confusing to me at least.

Does anyone know a site that has ratings for the best bang for the
buck amd 32 bit processor? Best price/performance ratio.

Does a 512k cache really make a difference? Does a 333 FSB bus really
that slower than a 400 FSB? I'm looking at the athlon 32 bit lineup.

Thanks,

Alan

On the 32-bit scale, the Barton 2500 model is popular. It's cheap and
can often be overclocked to match the fastest 32-bit Athlons. 512k
cache doesn't make too much difference but it's nice to have. A fast
FSB makes a considerable difference. (but even the "333" CPUs like the
2500, can often be run at a "400" FSB). Good luck.

Also, I strongly suggest you consider the Athlon 64 3000+ model. It's
not nearly as cheap as the older 32 bit models but it has a lot more
performance.

Old April 18th 04, 02:35 PM

wrote:

Hi,

I was totally confused looking at the AMD model line for 32 bit the
other day. Different front side buses and different cpu cache sizes.
Of course the famous amd rating system is confusing to me at least.

Get the mobile athlon2600. ~$100. It's CPU multiplier is unlocked.
Put it in an Abit NF7-S rev2 motherboard and set the FSB to 200/400.

Best bang for the buck.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.html?i=2021&p=2

Old April 18th 04, 02:53 PM
Ben Pope

Post Replies Here Please wrote:
Hi,

I was totally confused looking at the AMD model line for 32 bit the
other day. Different front side buses and different cpu cache sizes.
Of course the famous amd rating system is confusing to me at least.

OK. The bigger the number in the AMD rating, the faster the processor. Not
that tricky, is it?

Does anyone know a site that has ratings for the best bang for the
buck amd 32 bit processor? Best price/performance ratio.

Divide the rating by the price and your biggest number is the one to get.

Does a 512k cache really make a difference?

It can do, depending on your application.

Does a 333 FSB bus really that slower than a 400 FSB?

Yes. But again, thats application dependant.

If you wish to overclock, then the Barton 2500 is likely the best bang for
buck (as it's the cheapest). Or maybe the cheapest Tbred B core.

Ben

Old April 18th 04, 03:45 PM
Post Replies Here Please

"alonzo" == alonzo writes:

alonzo On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:27:20 -0500, Post Replies Here Please
alonzo wrote:

Hi,

I was totally confused looking at the AMD model line for 32 bit
the other day. Different front side buses and different cpu cache
sizes. Of course the famous amd rating system is confusing to me
at least.

alonzo Get the mobile athlon2600. ~$100. It's CPU multiplier is
alonzo unlocked. Put it in an Abit NF7-S rev2 motherboard and set
alonzo the FSB to 200/400.

alonzo Best bang for the buck.

alonzo http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.html?i=2021&p=2

That was interesting where in the world do you purchase a mobile
athlon from?

Thanks all for the information.

Later

Old April 18th 04, 05:15 PM
rms

where in the world do you purchase a mobile
athlon from?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...codevalue=4181

Really the smart move for the average overclocker is the mobile 2400+.
It will still run fine as a 3200+ or higher, and saves $25 over the 2600+.

rms

Old April 19th 04, 11:33 AM
Scumball

news
wrote:

Hi,

I was totally confused looking at the AMD model line for 32 bit the
other day. Different front side buses and different cpu cache sizes.
Of course the famous amd rating system is confusing to me at least.

Get the mobile athlon2600. ~$100. It's CPU multiplier is unlocked.
Put it in an Abit NF7-S rev2 motherboard and set the FSB to 200/400.

Or a mobile 2.4 Barton - and clock it up to 10 x 256 FSB on a DFI mobo.

Old April 19th 04, 12:49 PM
Chip

"Scumball" wrote in message

news
wrote:

Hi,

I was totally confused looking at the AMD model line for 32 bit the
other day. Different front side buses and different cpu cache sizes.
Of course the famous amd rating system is confusing to me at least.

Get the mobile athlon2600. ~$100. It's CPU multiplier is unlocked.
Put it in an Abit NF7-S rev2 motherboard and set the FSB to 200/400.

Or a mobile 2.4 Barton - and clock it up to 10 x 256 FSB on a DFI mobo.

Nah. Get a 300MHz Celeron and clock it to 4.2GHz. Why not.

Chip

Old April 19th 04, 06:34 PM
Ben Pope

lazya wrote:
Faster in what category? A 2400 TBird/A 2500 Barton

Can you at least leave a gap of one carriage return between my post and
yours, that way I'll find it easier.

Well that would depend, wouldn't it, but overall the 2500 would be a lttle
quicker.

The TBred is likely clocked faster so will number crunch quicker, the Barton
will be better at memory throughput.

Ben

Athon 64 bit processor applications stability. S. Md. Kabeer Ahmed Overclocking AMD Processors 8 February 16th 05 03:50 AM
Second processor Federico General 7 October 29th 04 12:11 AM
Biggest bang for buck amd processor. Post Replies Here Please Overclocking AMD Processors 6 April 19th 04 12:53 PM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 11:01 AM
AMD XP2800+ Processor running at Simon Overclocking AMD Processors 8 January 5th 04 04:30 AM