Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang Opens A Can of Words on Intel

Old April 11th 08, 08:52 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
NV55

Default Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang Opens A Can of Words on Intel

http://tinyurl.com/3htnuq

I've never heard Jen-Hsun go on about Intel like that in a conference
call before.

He must truly be worried about Intel's upcoming Larrabee
architecture.

I think Larrabee scares the living **** out of him.
Old April 13th 08, 07:21 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pg[_2_]

On Apr 11, 12:52 am, NV55 wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/3htnuq

I've never heard Jen-Hsun go on about Intel like that in a conference
call before.

He must truly be worried about Intel's upcoming Larrabee
architecture.

I think Larrabee scares the living **** out of him.

Larrabee is nothing. Huang was right to say that Larabee, which will
come out to the market in 2010, is inferior to current crop of low-end
GPU, such as Radeon HD 2600, which has a whooping 120 stream
processors !

If you take account of the top GPUs that is available today, all
equipped with 512 stream processors (and more!), Larrabee, with its
puny 16-core, is nothing.

By 2010, top-of-the-line GPU would have 1K or more processors embedded
inside. How long would it take Intel to come up with 1K-core
Larrabee??

Stop and think. Don't buy into Intel's FUD.
Old April 13th 08, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

pg wrote:

Stop and think. Don't buy into Intel's FUD.

It's not FUD, it's a challenge. Nvidia has hopped on the treadmill for
the 9-series and it shows.

Intel is demonstrating that they will be able to accomplish the
equivalent of on-board graphics in the CPU, negating the need for a
discrete card in those segments. Maybe not negating, but now there is an
option where there wasn't before.

Those segments are what makes nvidia rich enough to waste money building
high end cards that precious few people buy. (But generate all the talk.)

Bring it all on, better CPUs better GPUs, better everything. As it
stands the only progress we currently have in this world is tech, let
the players go at it, there are precious few players left at that level.

One last thing, and significantly, lets pretend Intel comes out with a
geforce 7 class solution today for core 3 and 4 of their multi-core
CPUs...bang there it is. Now what?

Intel now has additional burden of writing graphics drivers that nvidia
has been doing for some time and still can't quite nail down. Even with
a decade of experience and gobbling up any skilled driver writer they
can find.

Lastly, this isn't anything new. Intel has had forays into this arena
before with discrete cards, the i740 ring anyone's bell? That miserable
piece of silicon was the equivalent of on-board video in a discrete
card, any gamer who was fooled into buying one, saw the lack of results
first hand.

Old April 19th 08, 04:06 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

Ed writes:
Intel hasn't made a decent integrated graphics chip to date

Eh? My work pc has some kind of old intel integrated graphics (i845?)
and it's just fine, does a very decent job of running opengl apps etc.
Newer chips are supposedly much faster (and the upcoming generation even
better of course). Intel knows their market.

I suppose gamers want something much studlier, but what intel makes is
fine for normal use.

Intel's also made a lot of friends because of their very open attitude
-- while nvidia is _still_ pulling the "no you can't have the specs that
allow you to support our hardware" bull****. [They'll come around
eventually, but in the meantime it sure as hell isn't making them look
any better.]

In any case, the Nvidia guy's rant seemed pretty pathetic... If he wants
to project confidence, that was exactly the way _not_ to do it.

-Miles

--
((lambda (x) (list x x)) (lambda (x) (list x x)))
Old April 21st 08, 02:05 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
chrisv

Ed wrote:

Intel integrated GPUs aren't even good for most 2D office apps,

How do you figure that? Seems to work fine for me.

Old April 21st 08, 03:56 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Ed Medlin

"chrisv" wrote in message
Ed wrote:

Intel integrated GPUs aren't even good for most 2D office apps,

How do you figure that? Seems to work fine for me.

They do work fine for what they are designed to do, basic 2d and 3d
rendering. The more complex the video needs, the worse the performance.
Nvidia will be around a long time in their market. These are two completely
different markets.

Ed

Old April 22nd 08, 12:33 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Mike Smith[_2_]

Ed wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:03:17 -0500, "Shawn" wrote:

Onboard video GPUs almost always suck at high end games. Good for the office
but bad for the battlefield.

Intel integrated GPUs aren't even good for most 2D office apps, forget
3D!

Like what? The X3100 in my machine does just fine with Autodesk
Inventor; it certainly doesn't have any trouble with Word or Excel or
Visual Studio, etc. So, um, are you just trolling, perhaps?

--
Mike Smith
Old April 23rd 08, 02:00 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

Ed writes:
Intel hasn't made a decent integrated graphics chip to date

Eh? My work pc has some kind of old intel integrated graphics (i845?)

Some of our work PCs have Intel graphics, they pretty much suck IMO.

Do you have anything to back up such a broad claim?

As I said in the text you omitted in your quoting, Intel's embedded
chips -- even the low-end ones -- seem to work absolutely fine for many
tasks that that need some 3d/opengl support to work sanely (blender,
compiz, etc). Not the best for gaming certainly, but many, many, uses
of 3d have nothing to do with gaming.

Of course the (low-end!) intel cards in question also work great for 2d.
(something which you, bizarrely denied in a subsequent post).

[Note that the reason I know those apps "need" 3d support to work sanely
is because I've tried them on systems with a 2d-only card... not fun... :-]

-Miles

--
Scriptures, n. The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from
the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.
Old April 26th 08, 06:17 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pg[_2_]

On Apr 21, 4:33 pm, Mike Smith
wrote:
Ed wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:03:17 -0500, "Shawn" wrote:

Onboard video GPUs almost always suck at high end games. Good for the office
but bad for the battlefield.

Intel integrated GPUs aren't even good for most 2D office apps, forget
3D!

Like what? The X3100 in my machine does just fine with Autodesk
Inventor; it certainly doesn't have any trouble with Word or Excel or
Visual Studio, etc. So, um, are you just trolling, perhaps?

--
Mike Smith

For me, office apps means visual simulation and virtual conferences.
On board video chips just can't hack that.