Lower Power Utilization for High End Video Card?

Old November 28th 12, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
PW[_3_]

Default Lower Power Utilization for High End Video Card?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 03:51:09 -0800, "W"
wrote:

I have an older XP computer in a living room on which I installed an nVidia
GEForce 8800 Ultra. The card performs well, but to my disbelief with the
monitor turned off and the computer doing nothing but displaying an inactive
Windows desktop, the nVidia card is consuming about 160 watts of energy
continuously. Since the system is only used to run a few virtual machines
about 99% of the time, that is a lot of wasted energy. I want a card
that can stop burning watts when it is in a low use mode.

Does anyone make a top tier video card that can power itself to a minimum
power utilization mode when the card is not being used heavily? I read
somewhere that some newer version of AMD Eyefinity could get power
utilization in an unused mode down under 20 watts. What are details on
that?

I believe my eVGA GTX680 SuperClocked is a low power card. I am not
sure how to check how many watts it uses.
Old November 28th 12, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Homer Jay Simpson[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Your specific card model's idle power draw is 15.5 Watts.