Ping: Paul

Old June 25th 12, 09:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Default Paul

Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just
realized that if I didn't have Halo installed, I wouldn't be
able to keep my 7600gt AGP card able to play Q3 or view videos
in full screen. Damn, their must be a better solution. I just
reinsatlled my AGP ECS mb drivers. I used the latest ones from
ECS (my mb is an ECS K7s5a rev3.1 with a HoneyX Bios.
I don't have the HDD to install an XP system into to test out
your ideas. I still use a dual 98se-2kSP4 system with an Athlon
Mobile 2400+ (266MHz fsb) with 1 GB of ram.
My Desktop resolutiob is at 1440x900 with a refresh of 75MHz
with a Planar PX2710MW LCD monitor. Even if I set my Halo game
vid setting the same, I still have the same problem.
Amy other ideas on how I can get my video display to work
properly without having to start Halo after the video changes
shortly after bootup. Once changed, it seems to stay that way
for the rest of the session, even after 12 hrs.

Thanks again,
Buffalo
One addition, when I was using the previous vid card ATI Radeon
8500LE, I did not experience the problem I do now. (the new card
gives me much better fps in my games).
Also, when I try to uninstall the vid drivers and then reboot,
the screen is very corrupted and tears whenever I move the mouse
pointer. It is very difficult to make out what is on the screen.
The same exact thing happens in Safe Mode, even without
uninstalling the vid drivers first.
Buffalo
PS: It seems that my PC does not load the PCI Standard VGA (if
any at all) default drivers. I cannot even find the .inf for that
default driver.

I would start by changing the refresh from 75Hz back to 60Hz.
That's half your problem right there.

LCDs do not behave the same as CRTs. On a CRT, we used to raise
refresh, to reduce flicker. It's less of an issue with LCDs. Some
LCDs actually throw away 1 in N frames when you raise the refresh
too high.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mon...ameters_3.html

On the two LCDs I have here, I run them at 60Hz.

Paul
Just to give you more info, I can reset the card by launching Halo
but not by launching Q2 or Q3Arena. It will also reset if I run
Half-Life Episode 1 (have to go through Steam).
I use the same resolution in those games and the same refresh rate.
Once the card is 'reset' it usually will stay that way until I
reboot. Buffalo

Doom 3 doesn't do it either/
Buffalo

Aren't some of the ID software titles based on OpenGL ?

Perhaps the ones that reset your card, are DirectX titles ?
And so the issue might be slightly DirectX related.

Paul

Thanks, good thought.
Buffalo
PS: Have a fun weekend and don't forget about the Super Moon
tonight!!! (ie: closest to Eartha and full to bring you the brightest
moon of 2012 : 14% larger and 30% brighter)

Just to add, if I run Halo soon after the bootup, the problem still happens.
Halo doesn't fix it until it goes astray.

Buffalo

Old June 25th 12, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just
[...]

At one time, "fix it when it goes astray" was called "VPU recovery".

When it first came out, it came with a tick box, so you could turn
it on or off. And if you turned it on, it made the video card more
unstable. Eventually, I think the software used became more hidden.
I expect a VPU recovery function still exists, but it may not
leave a log anywhere if it is triggered.

And I don't know the name of that feature, if available on an Nvidia card.
They used it on ATI cards.

I've never had a problem like that, so haven't investigate further
than to note the name of the feature. It's probably something like
a timer, and if the OS driver for the video card can't talk to
the card, the software timer triggers a video card recovery. That
would involve possibly resetting the video card, the screen goes
black for a second, and then it comes back. I don't know the
mechanics, of how they could re-establish communications with the
card, if the card is frozen.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh....php?p=2359563

Paul
Old June 26th 12, 12:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Buffalo[_2_]

Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
From my post "GeForce 7600GT AGP on Win2000ProSP4" I just
[...]

Wow, that was quick.
When it changes to bad, it will usually black out momentarily or sometimes
for several seconds and a couple of times ('no signal' message on LCD
monitor) for over a minute.
Once it resets again with Halo, I can't recall if it ever went bad again,
even though the PC could be running for 12 or more hours straight.
I wonder is there could be another program that I could use to cause the
'correction' since I would like to uninstall Halo.
Well, thanks again,
Buffalo
PS: I did read through the page at the link you posted.
PPS: I also have two of the 7600 cards (only one installed at a time) and
they both act the same, so I wouldn't think it was a card problem.

Old July 22nd 12, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles[_2_]

On 6/25/2012 4:18 PM, Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
Buffalo wrote:

[snip]
At one time, "fix it when it goes astray" was called "VPU recovery".

When it first came out, it came with a tick box, so you could turn
it on or off. And if you turned it on, it made the video card more
unstable. Eventually, I think the software used became more hidden.
I expect a VPU recovery function still exists, but it may not
leave a log anywhere if it is triggered.

And I don't know the name of that feature, if available on an Nvidia card.
They used it on ATI cards.

Paul

I've seen something similar to VPU recovery happen automatically
on my Nvidia GTS 450 and GTX 560 cards.

Robert Miles

Ping: Paul sdlomi2 Homebuilt PC's 3 April 28th 08 01:42 AM
PING: paul sdlomi2[_2_] Asus Motherboards 2 October 3rd 07 11:22 AM
Ping Paul reqluq Asus Motherboards 2 October 8th 05 06:23 AM
PING: Paul Paul Asus Motherboards 0 October 13th 04 11:51 PM
PING: Paul...Thanks Paul Asus Motherboards 0 September 3rd 04 09:52 PM