HP Deskjet 920c won't print Cyan

Old June 8th 04, 03:03 PM
Alf

Default HP Deskjet 920c won't print Cyan

Hi
I have a HP Deskjet that won't print Cyan.
Changed cartridges.
Used all the cleaning and aligning software.
No improvement.

Switched from USB to parallel and back again.
No improvement.

HP support says that the model is no longer supported and that the solution
can be found on the website.

We'll, been there and found nothing for that specific problem.

Any ideas ?

Rosalie, Alf or Norbert.

Old June 9th 04, 12:57 AM
Jim

"Alf" wrote in message
Hi
I have a HP Deskjet that won't print Cyan.
Changed cartridges.
Used all the cleaning and aligning software.
No improvement.

Bummer!

Switched from USB to parallel and back again.
No improvement.

Would not expect this to make a difference.

HP support says that the model is no longer supported and that the

solution
can be found on the website.

They don't know and don't care?

We'll, been there and found nothing for that specific problem.

Not surprising.

Any ideas ?

Hardware problem of some kind.
New printer time?
Jim

Old June 9th 04, 01:45 AM
Hecate

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:03:23 +0200, "Alf"
wrote:

Hi
I have a HP Deskjet that won't print Cyan.
Changed cartridges.
Used all the cleaning and aligning software.
No improvement.

Switched from USB to parallel and back again.
No improvement.

HP support says that the model is no longer supported and that the solution
can be found on the website.

We'll, been there and found nothing for that specific problem.

Any ideas ?

Don't buy HP printers? I've found HP printers are great when they
work, but if you ever have a problem, need an updated driver, and so
forth, they are absolutely useless. An HP printer with a problem is a
sign that you're going to have to spend money...

--

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
Old June 9th 04, 03:46 AM
Bob Headrick

"Alf" wrote in message
Hi
I have a HP Deskjet that won't print Cyan.
Changed cartridges.
Used all the cleaning and aligning software.
No improvement.

It sounds like you have a defective cartridge. Failure to print yellow or cyan
can be caused by cartridges that are very old. Check the warranty date as
shown at the following:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bua02014

If the cartridge is within its warranty contact HP or your dealer for a
replacement. If the cartridge is beyond its warranty you probably need a
fresh cartridge. Look for the "install by" date on the package when buying new
cartridges. When storing cartridges for extended lengths of time store then in
the orientation they would be hanging on a store display hook for maximum shelf
life.

To verify the cartridge is the problem remove it from the printer and blot is
on a damp paper towel. You will likely see a stripe of magenta and yellow,
with no cyan ink from the cartridge.

Regards,

Old June 11th 04, 06:06 PM
Alf

I think I have found the answer ....
It's a bit long ...but well worth it.

As a last ditch effort to save my printer (before following your advice and
buying a new one) I put in another ink cartridge that a friend had bought in
a local store.
I was thinking maybe there was a one in a million chance that I had bought a
series of dud cartridges. Well, my friend's cartridge worked fine.

So I then knew that there was nohing wrong with the printer.
Nor the driver.
Nor the PC.

So I went back and checked my stock of cartridges (I just have one left that
is still in its packet) and true enough it is stamped
"Made in ... SINGAPORE"
"Install before ... OCTOBER 2003"

I don't think the fact that it is from Singapour that is stopping it from
functionning in France.
(DVDs maybe, surely not ink ??!! )

And I can't imagine that the ink would "dry up" or "go bad" inside its
airproof plastic bag and I had it stored in a a dark, dry, cool place.
I can't imagine that the Cyan would just evaporate six months after the
"Install by" date.
So I'm thinking now that there is a date hardcoded into the cartridge and
now my PC knows that this one is "Out of date".

Is this a bit far-fetched ? Or one of Carly's new tricks ? Like genetically
modified soya beans that won't grow after one season.

I suppose if I buy some new cartridges that they will work correctly.
But if anyone knwows how to work around the problem, maybe I could save the
thre old cartridges I have.

So, any info appreciated.

TIA

Alf.

Old June 11th 04, 06:29 PM
Bob Headrick

"Alf" wrote in message

So I went back and checked my stock of cartridges (I just have one left that
is still in its packet) and true enough it is stamped
"Made in ... SINGAPORE"
"Install before ... OCTOBER 2003"

I don't think the fact that it is from Singapour that is stopping it from
functionning in France.

No, the cartrdiges are made in a few places for worldwide usage. #78
cartrdiges from anywhere will work in any region.

And I can't imagine that the ink would "dry up" or "go bad" inside its
airproof plastic bag and I had it stored in a a dark, dry, cool place.
I can't imagine that the Cyan would just evaporate six months after the
"Install by" date.
So I'm thinking now that there is a date hardcoded into the cartridge and
now my PC knows that this one is "Out of date".

As I mentioned in my previous post this can happen with long term storage. The
cartridge you have is now more than two years old and air has diffused into the
internal workings of the cartridge. There is no date hardcoded into the
cartridge that will cause it to stop working. Storing cartridges in a cool
place is better for them. For best shelf life also store cartridges sitting
upright as they would be on a store shelf.

As far as recovering the cartridge, you may have some success by gently blowing
air in the rear vent above the cyan chamber. I have also seen reports of folks
putting the cartridge in an old sock with the nozzles in the toe section.
Swing this around your head a few times quickly (outside...) to get ink flowing
again through the architecture.

The best advise is to watch for the "install by" date when purchasing new
cartridges and avoid long term storage.

Regards,

Old June 11th 04, 06:46 PM
herbzee

Unfortunately that didn't work for me with an HP 722C. Mine prints fine
in BLACK but not color, so I guess I'll have to sell it an d buy
something else.

Old June 12th 04, 02:52 AM
Hecate

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:29:31 -0700, "Bob Headrick"
wrote:

The best advise is to watch for the "install by" date when purchasing new
cartridges and avoid long term storage.

Regards,

To be fair to HP, I installed a black 45 to my 990Cxi (my one
remaining HP printer) that was six months out of date, and it worked
fine. But I wouldn't have complained if it hadn't.

Still doesn't make me want to buy an HP unless it's a laser, though.

And whatever HP are paying you, it's not enough ;-)

--

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Old June 12th 04, 08:05 AM
Rosalie

Any answers on these specific points :
1.Is the "Install By" date hardcoded into the cartridge ?
2. Does the PC keep a log of cartridges that I install ?
3. If so, is it in the registry, in a file ...?
4. If so, can the info be modified, deleted ? Worked around ?

I'm not into chemistry but I'm pretty doubtful that ink in a cartridge (in
an airtight bag, in a dark, cool, dry place) can switch from OK to useless
over a 9 month period.
I can imagine that it might deteriorate slightly in such a way as to be
slightly less than perfect, but for one colour in the cartridge to just die
after a certain date would appear to be deliberate rather than due to
natural causes.

So, any hard facts on that ?

Old June 12th 04, 05:18 PM
Bob Headrick

"Rosalie" wrote in message
Any answers on these specific points :
1.Is the "Install By" date hardcoded into the cartridge ?

No, the printer and computer do not have any information on the "install by"
date of the cartrdige.

2. Does the PC keep a log of cartridges that I install ?

The printer keeps track of two cartrdiges, the one currently installed and the
previous cartrdige.

3. If so, is it in the registry, in a file ...?

It is stored in non-valotile memory in the printer.

4. If so, can the info be modified, deleted ? Worked around ?

There is no need to delete or work around this since it has no effect on your
printing.

I'm not into chemistry but I'm pretty doubtful that ink in a cartridge (in
an airtight bag, in a dark, cool, dry place) can switch from OK to useless
over a 9 month period.

Your doubts are unfounded. It is actaully not something that happens over 9
months, it can take a couple of years. Your cartrdige is about 2.5 years old at
this point.

I can imagine that it might deteriorate slightly in such a way as to be
slightly less than perfect, but for one colour in the cartridge to just die
after a certain date would appear to be deliberate rather than due to
natural causes.

Appearances aside, this is not what is happening. There is nothing designed
into the cartridges to make them fail after a certain time, but they do have a
shelf life. Some cartridges may last for 5 years or more, some will be less.
HP warrants these cartridges to last 2 years. The storage conditions can have
a large impact on the shelf life. As mentioned before, for best results buy
fresh cartridges. When storing cartridges keep them stored upright as they
would be in a store display. You are already keeping them stored in a cool
place which is a good thing.

Regards,

Unable to print from old NEC SuperScript 870 printer after installing HP DeskJet 450 mobile printer driver. [email protected] Printers 1 April 13th 04 12:28 AM
Canon S820: Only the cyan "alignment" test print is poor! Paul Soderman Printers 4 January 31st 04 07:27 PM
Matching print colors to Monitor screen David Chien Printers 8 January 25th 04 01:58 PM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM
IE6 freezes trying to print to HP DeskJet 5550 over network RonH Printers 0 September 13th 03 01:17 AM