max HD size? win98SE

Old August 13th 03, 10:19 AM
Steve

Default max HD size? win98SE

Hi all, bought a WD 40GB hard drive for my G6-233 (Yes, 233 MHz,
circa 1997; currently my second computer and does most everything
I need it for...) Plan was to do a clean install of win98SE (too
slow for XP) on this new hard drive. When I used the WD utility
that is supposed to partition and format, it says it is done and
does create a partition using the whole HD, but when I go to
install the OS, it won't work, then I look at fdisk and it says it
is not a dos partition?!?!?!

OK, so now I go the old fashioned route with a start up disk.
When I try to partition, it only recognizes about 8 GB on the hard
drive. Next, reboot and go into setup, and look at the HD
properties. When set at auto, it indicates CHS = {XXXX, 16, 63}
(Sorry, didn't write it down, but XXXX is whatever gives the 8 GB
noted above). Go back to WD utilities, which indicates the HD has
CHS={77504, 16, 63}. Reboot, go in to setup, and set hard drive
to user. The most I can put in cylinders is 65535, which then
gives me about 32 GB. So now I can partition and get 32 GB, but
then when I reboot to go back and format, it gets past POST, then
all I get is a blinking cursor on an otherwise blank screen, and
can't do anything else. Have to reboot, go in to setup, and
change everything back.

What's up? What can I do? TIA for any help.

Steve

Old August 13th 03, 03:39 PM
PC Gladiator

Go to the WD website, get their disk diagnosics software and check the
drive. I had similar symptoms and it was a bad drive. WD replacement was
relatively fast and painless.

et...