P4C800-E MB reboots on Windows Power Down?

Old November 27th 07, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
zeke7

Default P4C800-E MB reboots on Windows Power Down?

Here's a bit of a strange problem: whenever I shut down my home-built
desktop (Windows 2000, SP4)--using 'Shut Down', not 'Restart'--after
the OS closes out and the machine powers down as it should, as soon as
the fans have shut off the whole thing fires back up again: fans kick
on, the MB comes to life, BIOS boots and Windows fires up again. If I
want this machine to stay shut down, I have to flip the back power
switch off as soon as I hear the fans shutting down.

A related problem occurs using System Standby: once the standby
initiates, the monitor, fans, and HDs shut down, but then the MB, fans
[and disks?] immediately start up, the monitor remains off, and the
system can't be awakened; even the reset button doesn't work. A
physical power down and reboot is necessary. (Win2K's Power Options to
Turn off monitor and Turn off hard disks does work fine.) No screen
saver is being used.

This same machine--identical hardware, OS and software (other than
updates)--has worked fine in the past, both with Shut Down and System
Standby procedures. I did have to reset the MB bios to default values
a few times when it mistakenly thought I was overclocking when I
booted up (I've never touched those settings in BIOS or elsewhere).

I've played with the bios power management settings extensively since
this problem started occurring and haven't found the right settings to
correct the problem. All software and the BIOS are updated with the
manufacturers' latest updates. I did read on this forum of someone's
power problems with the ATI AIW Remote Control, and tried uninstalling
that, with no change in the shut down problem.

Have just done a fresh format and reinstall of the OS (to eliminate
Norton Pestworks from my system), and the problem remains, right from
the fresh Win2K + SP4 install, before installing any further updates,
drivers, or software. I'm thus pretty sure it's not the OS telling the
MB to restart, but rather something in the MB telling itself to do so.

[I did pull out and reinsert all the MB's jumpers and cable
connections once when experiencing mysterious bootup problems (which
turned out to be a bad memory card), so there's a remote but very
unlikely possibility that I replaced something incorrectly that's
causing this.]

Can any knowledgeable sorts out there advise what the BIOS Power Mgmt
settings should be to fix this? I could live with having to switch the
power button off when shutting down, but I very much like to use
System Standby as I live in a warm climate and the machine contributes
an excessive amount of room heat when not being used. Any suggestions
greatly appreciated.

Trying to keep this brief; here's some system info:

==============================
Basic systems specs:

-ASUS P4C800-E MB (AMIBIOS rev1023)
-Pentium IV 2.8MHz CPU
-ATI 9800 A-I-W Video Card
-Promise Ultra TX2-100 IDE controller card, 4 hard drives
-Antec True Blue 480W power supply
-ATI All-in-Wonder Remote Control (USB-RF)
-MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
-Windows 2000 SP4 OS, all Windows Updates current
-No screen saver being used

==============================

Here's the BIOS Power tab settings I'm currently using (have tried
changing various combinations of these with no luck):

Suspend Mode - Auto
Repost Video on S3 Resume - Y
ACPI 2.0 Support - Y
ACPI APIC Support - Enabled
BIOS to AML-ACPI Table - Enabled

APM Configuration:

APM Power Mgmt - Enabled
Video Power Down Mode - Suspend
Hard Disk Power Down Mode - Suspend
Suspend Time Out - Disabled
Throttle Slow Clock - 50%

System Thermal - Enabled
Power Button Mode: On/Off
Restore on AC Power Loss - Power Off
Power on by: [-All Disabled]
-RTC
-External Modems
-PCI Devices
-PS2 Keyboard
-PS2 Mouse
Old November 28th 07, 05:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Core2Duo

"zeke7" wrote in message
[...]

I'll have to restart my system to have a look, but my initial thoughts are
turn off the APM Power Mgmt, because I think this makes the OS control the
power management, not the BIOS - mind you this is only my initial thoughts.
If that's not it, I did think it could be the power switch wiring/jumper,
but then again if it was ON constantly the PS would power down after 4 secs
so I doubt this is a problem.

Old November 28th 07, 05:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Core2Duo

A bit drastic, but have you considered re-flashing the bios?.

Old November 28th 07, 09:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
zeke7

On Nov 27, 7:49 pm, "Core2Duo" wrote:
A bit drastic, but have you considered re-flashing the bios?.

Core2Duo: Yes, I've just finished reflashing the BIOS, v1023 (I see a
beta 1024 out there but am not keen on BIOS betas). No change in the
problem. Had the same version installed previously, just tried
reinstalling the same in case it helped, but no go.

And have just recently tried turning off the BIOS APM, still with no
improvement. Hunting through the manual doesn't help much, it doesn't
tell you much more than the spartan help messages in the BIOS menu
itself.

I'll get down and check the jumpers soon.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old November 28th 07, 11:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_8_]

Somewhere on teh interweb zeke7 typed:
On Nov 27, 7:49 pm, "Core2Duo" wrote:
A bit drastic, but have you considered re-flashing the bios?.

Core2Duo: Yes, I've just finished reflashing the BIOS, v1023 (I see a
beta 1024 out there but am not keen on BIOS betas). No change in the
problem. Had the same version installed previously, just tried
reinstalling the same in case it helped, but no go.

And have just recently tried turning off the BIOS APM, still with no
improvement. Hunting through the manual doesn't help much, it doesn't
tell you much more than the spartan help messages in the BIOS menu
itself.

I'll get down and check the jumpers soon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Just for giggles, will you try checking the vcore is in spec please? CPU-Z
(ver 1.41) is the most reliable tool for this IMO. The CPU is under a lot of
load when it's shutting down, maybe moreso than start up. Maybe the CPU
isn't getting enough voltage?
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Old November 28th 07, 12:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Fred

Just a thought. Is your Windows set for automatic restart in Startup and
Recovery System Failure. If so you may be experiencing an error on
shutdown leading to a restart.
Starting up Windows in safe mode and then seeing if the pc shuts down
correctly might help you troubleshoot this problem.

Old November 28th 07, 08:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

zeke7 wrote:
On Nov 27, 7:49 pm, "Core2Duo" wrote:
A bit drastic, but have you considered re-flashing the bios?.

Core2Duo: Yes, I've just finished reflashing the BIOS, v1023 (I see a
beta 1024 out there but am not keen on BIOS betas). No change in the
problem. Had the same version installed previously, just tried
reinstalling the same in case it helped, but no go.

And have just recently tried turning off the BIOS APM, still with no
improvement. Hunting through the manual doesn't help much, it doesn't
tell you much more than the spartan help messages in the BIOS menu
itself.

I'll get down and check the jumpers soon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Another small experiment you could try.

Disconnect Ethernet cable from the computer.
Shutdown or enter standby.

Did that change the symptoms ?

That would be assuming this is a Wake On Lan kind of problem.

Paul
Old November 28th 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

zeke7 wrote:
Here's a bit of a strange problem: whenever I shut down my home-built
desktop (Windows 2000, SP4)--using 'Shut Down', not 'Restart'--after
the OS closes out and the machine powers down as it should, as soon as
the fans have shut off the whole thing fires back up again:

I have waited two days to respond to this because I had the exact same
symptoms with one of my previous computers when I first built the
system. The problem is that I can't remember exactly what the problem
was or how I solved it, or even whether it was a problem with my old
P2B-F or P4T-E rather than the P4C800-E. Gah, I'm getting old. So since
my memory hasn't improved in the two days I've been thinking about this,
I'll just offer the following for you to consider.

I am certain that this problem cropped up with WinXP. Not sure about
Win2K, but I was running a dual boot system with both OSs, so perhaps
this applies to Win2K also. Or heck, it may have been Win98.

When you installed the OS, did you interrupt the installation process
right at the beginning using F5 (or maybe it's F4)? If you do, in WinXP
anyway you'll be given a small window with three lines displayed.
Scroll up in the window and you'll see lots more options. The third
line from the top (in WinXP) is the ACPI option. I had to activate it
in order to get the computer to shut down properly, and the only time
the ACPI activation can be done (easily, anyway) is upon installation of
the OS.

And of course this may not apply to you at all. In fact, this may have
been the solution to a different problem altogether -- like getting the
"you may now shut down the computer" screen rather than an actual
shutdown. I dunno. Sorry. This is just bugging me. At some time in
the past I did have exactly the problem you've described and I solved it
pretty quickly, as I recall. My new computer would start right up after
shutting down. If only I could remember ....

Was it simply a BIOS setting? Have you played with the power settings?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old November 28th 07, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
zeke7

On Nov 28, 12:50 pm, Bill Anderson wrote:
zeke7 wrote:
[...]

Many thanks gents for the posted suggestions, but still no go; here's
a rundown:

Core2Duo:
APM Power Mgmt in BIOS: on or off, no difference
Power switch wiring/jumper: haven't managed this yet, requires
removing my hard disks to see! Will give that a shot though.

BIOS reflashed: tried (1023), still no change

misfit:
Core voltage: CPUZ report fluctuates between 1.376-1.392v.
Looked up specs on Intel's site, quite confusing for this novice,
found these numbers, which if applicable seem to be in range:
VID = 1.475, Vmax = 1.370 V, Vmin = 1.290 V, VID = 1.500, Vmax = 1.395
V, Vmin = 1.315 V and VID = 1.525, Vmax = 1.420 V, Vmin = 1.340 V
(http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...x?sSpec=SL7EY#)

Fred:
Set for automatic restart in Startup and Recovery System Failu it
was set for restart, tried turning it off, no change

Paul:
Ethernet cable disconnect: tried many times, with BIOS wake up on LAN
setting either way, no change

Bill A.:
mine's a straightforward setup, no dual boot or multi-partitions etc.
No interruption in install process apparently available, a straight
automated install; it was similarly installed and worked fine using
same install disk and process (and hardware) in the past. AFAIR, W2K
never provides a "You may now shut down" screen; believe those are
from WinME/98 days. Yes have played w/BIOS power settings ad
infinitum, no luck. I can certainly relate to your brain's reported
'file recall' problem (-; ; keep dredging those mem-banks please!

---------------
Thanks again, this nagging problem's still here, please keep the
suggestions coming.
Old November 29th 07, 12:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_8_]

Somewhere on teh interweb zeke7 typed:

snippage

misfit:
Core voltage: CPUZ report fluctuates between 1.376-1.392v.
Looked up specs on Intel's site, quite confusing for this novice,
found these numbers, which if applicable seem to be in range:
VID = 1.475, Vmax = 1.370 V, Vmin = 1.290 V, VID = 1.500, Vmax = 1.395
V, Vmin = 1.315 V and VID = 1.525, Vmax = 1.420 V, Vmin = 1.340 V
(http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...x?sSpec=SL7EY#)

That voltage could be borderline. The VID (CPU-requested voltage) for your
CPU is anything from 1.475 to 1.55V. Your voltage is well below that range.
Can you please go into BIOS and change vcore. I assume you have it on
"default"? Change it to 1.50V, then boot back into Windows and re-test with
CPU-Z. If CPU-Z doesn't say 1.50V then take into account the difference and
CPU-Z.

Fingers crossed, it just might fix the problem. Can't do any harm anyway,
you can always put it back.
--
TTFN,

Shaun.