Antec Sonata case + GeForce 8800GTX

Old December 28th 06, 04:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Access

Default Antec Sonata case + GeForce 8800GTX

Hello,

I currently have an Antec Sonata ATX case, any idea if a GeForce 8800 GTX
card will fit into it ??? Anyone with the same set-up ?

Thanks
Matthias

Old December 28th 06, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken Maltby

"Access" wrote in message
Hello,

I currently have an Antec Sonata ATX case, any idea if a GeForce 8800 GTX
card will fit into it ??? Anyone with the same set-up ?

Thanks
Matthias

I have a Sonata II, and it can take a full sized vid card. What
is it that has you worried? Is it the fan duct?

Luck;
Ken

Old December 28th 06, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Access

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message

"Access" wrote in message
Hello,

I currently have an Antec Sonata ATX case, any idea if a GeForce 8800 GTX
card will fit into it ??? Anyone with the same set-up ?

Thanks
Matthias

I have a Sonata II, and it can take a full sized vid card. What
is it that has you worried? Is it the fan duct?

Luck;
Ken

The GeForce 8800 GTX is the longest video card currently available, it's
length is +/- 11 inch. I read some stories of people that needed to buy a
bigger case because the card didn't fit, so i'm a bit worried :-)

Matthias

Old December 28th 06, 05:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Lorne Mower

"Access" wrote in message

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message

"Access" wrote in message
Hello,

I currently have an Antec Sonata ATX case, any idea if a GeForce 8800
GTX
card will fit into it ??? Anyone with the same set-up ?

Thanks
Matthias

I have a Sonata II, and it can take a full sized vid card. What
is it that has you worried? Is it the fan duct?

Luck;
Ken

The GeForce 8800 GTX is the longest video card currently available, it's
length is +/- 11 inch. I read some stories of people that needed to buy a
bigger case because the card didn't fit, so i'm a bit worried :-)

Matthias

Just fitted a 8800GTX into an Antec Solo, which I think is the same as a
Sonata but without a PSU.

Had to nibble a bit out of one of the drive bays (2nd down) as card is an
interference fit - appox 10mm longer than will fit.

Its no prob though with a pair of tinsnips :-). It does mean you only have 3
HDD bays that are useable though.

8800GTS card fits fine.

Lorne

Old December 28th 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Access wrote:
"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
"Access" wrote in message
Hello,

I currently have an Antec Sonata ATX case, any idea if a GeForce 8800 GTX
card will fit into it ??? Anyone with the same set-up ?

Thanks
Matthias

I have a Sonata II, and it can take a full sized vid card. What
is it that has you worried? Is it the fan duct?

Luck;
Ken

The GeForce 8800 GTX is the longest video card currently available, it's
length is +/- 11 inch. I read some stories of people that needed to buy a
bigger case because the card didn't fit, so i'm a bit worried :-)

Matthias

On my original Sonata, the GTX card would fit, but what won't work out,
is you won't be able to move it into place. If the card is held on
an angle, as you try to plug it in, it won't fit. That would
be my guess. It'll be too tight to install. (At least they put
the power connectors on the top edge of the card.)

If you remove the lower drive bay, then it might work. But you'd have
to drill out the aluminum rivets, to do that. Pretty easy to do, if
you can get a drill on the right angle. Hard to do, if the rivet is not
out in the open.

You could buy the card, enjoy its beauty, and then buy a bigger
case, to allow it to fit. You don't have to buy the new case right
away. You can check the fit, see it doesn't fit, and then get a new
case couriered to your door in two days. What is another couple
hundred dollars ? Only equiv to 40 or 50 Big Macs :-)

Paul
Old December 28th 06, 11:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken Maltby

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Access wrote:
"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
"Access" wrote in message
[...]

I just measured it, and on my Sonata II there is at least a 29cm
space. On this case the lower drive bay is turned sideways, so
it's not taking up as much space, in that direction. It could be
this is one of the features that distinguishes the Sonata II from the
original Sonata case, I don't know.

Luck;
Ken

Old December 29th 06, 01:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Access

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Access wrote:
"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
"Access" wrote in message
Hello,

I currently have an Antec Sonata ATX case, any idea if a GeForce 8800
GTX
card will fit into it ??? Anyone with the same set-up ?

Thanks
Matthias

snip

I just measured it, and on my Sonata II there is at least a 29cm
space. On this case the lower drive bay is turned sideways, so
it's not taking up as much space, in that direction. It could be
this is one of the features that distinguishes the Sonata II from the
original Sonata case, I don't know.

Luck;
Ken

How did you measure the 29cm ? I seem to have only 28cm between the card
slot and the hard drive bay. I think in my Sonata case the hard drive bay is
also turned sideways, since the hard disk back end (where the connectors
are) is facing towards the side panel of the case (so the longest side of a
hard disk is parallel to the shortest side of the case). I do have another
old midtower ATX case but it's just too ugly to look at :-)
Well, in the end I might buy a GTS card instead of GTX anyway. I looked at
some benchmarks and I believe a GTS card, combined with a core 2 duo 6600
processor will run all the games I want to play smoothly for the coming 2
years or so :-)

Matthias

Old December 29th 06, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken Maltby

"Access" wrote in message

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Access wrote:
"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
"Access" wrote in message
[...]

:-)
Well, in the end I might buy a GTS card instead of GTX anyway. I looked at
some benchmarks and I believe a GTS card, combined with a core 2 duo 6600
processor will run all the games I want to play smoothly for the coming 2
years or so :-)

Matthias

I just stuck a plastic ruler against the back plate with the
slots, and read the mm scale. It was 28.5cm to the flange
that sticks out from the hard drive bay, but easily 29cm
where the card would be.

Old December 29th 06, 03:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

I just measured it, and on my Sonata II there is at least a 29cm
space. On this case the lower drive bay is turned sideways, so

How did you measure the 29cm ? I seem to have only 28cm between the card
slot and the hard drive bay. I think in my Sonata case the hard drive bay

Don't forget that there are a few versions of the Sonata out there.