resolution problem

Old January 9th 08, 10:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Christophe[_2_]

Default resolution problem

I just reinstalled XP on an old machine with a geforce4 440MX card
Without the driver, XP sees a "VGA Compatible video controller" and I have access to many high resolution options
(this is a recent Samsung 19" panel).

After I install the nvidia driver (the latest one, that I just downloaded from the nvidia site) the highest resolution that can be reached is 1024*768 (but the screen operations are significantly faster)

Any hint on how to solve that ?

Thanks

Christophe
Old January 9th 08, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_5_]

There is no problem. You have simply run into the limit of that older
underpowered video card.

--
--DaveW

Old January 9th 08, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Christophe wrote:
I just reinstalled XP on an old machine with a geforce4 440MX card
Without the driver, XP sees a "VGA Compatible video controller" and I
have access to many high resolution options
(this is a recent Samsung 19" panel).

After I install the nvidia driver (the latest one, that I just
downloaded from the nvidia site) the highest resolution that can be
reached is 1024*768 (but the screen operations are significantly faster)

Any hint on how to solve that ?

Thanks

Christophe

If you use the utility here, can it see the EDID information
coming from the monitor ?

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Paul
Old January 10th 08, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Christophe" wrote in message
I just reinstalled XP on an old machine with a geforce4 440MX card
Without the driver, XP sees a "VGA Compatible video controller" and I have
access to many high resolution options
(this is a recent Samsung 19" panel).

After I install the nvidia driver (the latest one, that I just downloaded
from the nvidia site) the highest resolution that can be reached is
1024*768 (but the screen operations are significantly faster)

Any hint on how to solve that ?

Thanks

Christophe

You installed the monitor *.inf files from the Samsung LCD CD? What most
call monitor drivers.

Old January 11th 08, 03:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Christophe[_2_]

DaveW a écrit :
There is no problem. You have simply run into the limit of that older
underpowered video card.

It seems to me that this card is capable of a resolution higher than 1024*768
Is there anything I am missing ?

Thanks
Old January 11th 08, 03:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Christophe[_2_]

Paul a écrit :

If you use the utility here, can it see the EDID information
coming from the monitor ?

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Paul

I will try and let you know. Thanks for the advice.
Old January 11th 08, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Christophe[_2_]

Augustus a écrit :

You installed the monitor *.inf files from the Samsung LCD CD? What most
call monitor drivers.

No ! Did not think of it, I did not have the CD :-(
I will try to find it. Might be the reason the drivers are confused.

But really can anyone confirm that this card can handle resolutions higher than 1024*768 ?

thanks
Old January 11th 08, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Patrick Vervoorn

In article ,
Christophe wrote:
Augustus a écrit :

You installed the monitor *.inf files from the Samsung LCD CD? What most
call monitor drivers.

No ! Did not think of it, I did not have the CD :-(
I will try to find it. Might be the reason the drivers are confused.

But really can anyone confirm that this card can handle resolutions
higher than 1024*768 ?

Yes, it can. You can probably download the needed .inf files from
Samsung's website. Otherwise the .inf files from a comparable LCD screen
are useable too.

And what you missed in another posting is that DaveW is a total idiot.
Don't pay any attention to his so-called 'advice'.

What you, of course, should not expect is your videocard of being able to
do any meaningful rendering of games to the intended resolution. But
2D/Desktop related work: that should be ok. I've got a rather old machine,
with an Intel i810 videochip (probably even less powerful than what you're
using), on-board, which using Linux can display 1680x1050@60Hz just fine.

Regards, Patrick
Old January 11th 08, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Augustus a écrit :

You installed the monitor *.inf files from the Samsung LCD CD? What most
call monitor drivers.

No ! Did not think of it, I did not have the CD :-(
I will try to find it. Might be the reason the drivers are confused.

But really can anyone confirm that this card can handle resolutions higher
than 1024*768 ?

It'll handle well over 1024x768. If you can't find the CD, just grab the
files from the Samsung website.

Old January 12th 08, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
KCB

The Product Overview @ NVIDIA.com says 2048x1536
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4mx.html