PC repeatedly restart after you install WinXP SP2

Old August 25th 04, 09:02 PM
The Chief

Default PC repeatedly restart after you install WinXP SP2

Ed wrote:
SYMPTOMS
After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), your
computer repeatedly restarts. You do not receive an error message.

This issue occurs if all the following conditions are true:
* You install the 32-bit version of Windows XP SP2 on a computer that
has an AMD 64-bit processor.

bla bla bla.....

The reason this happens on an AMD64 is because of the Data Execution
Prevention (DEP) feature of the AMD64. Several programs that try to
write in a protected area of memory cause the problem - not the AMD64
CPU by itself.

I have installed SP2 on several computers with AMD64 and have only had
one problem. That computer had an older version of ZoneAlarm Pro. I
got the BSOD on first reboot. I then booted into Safe Mode and
uninstalled ZoneAlarm Pro. Rebooted and everything was fine. Installed
the latest version of ZoneAlarm Pro and updated Norton Antivirus.
That's the only problem I have encountered.

Old August 26th 04, 12:55 AM
Jason Cothran

"Ed" wrote in message
| SYMPTOMS
| After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), your
| computer repeatedly restarts. You do not receive an error message.
|
| This issue occurs if all the following conditions are true:
| * You install the 32-bit version of Windows XP SP2 on a computer that
| has an AMD 64-bit processor.
|
| bla bla bla.....
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;878474

Works perfectly fine on my A64.

Old August 26th 04, 01:29 AM
NoneOfBusiness

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:55:21 -0400, "Jason Cothran"
wrote:

"Ed" wrote in message
.. .
| SYMPTOMS
| After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), your
| computer repeatedly restarts. You do not receive an error message.
|
| This issue occurs if all the following conditions are true:
| * You install the 32-bit version of Windows XP SP2 on a computer that
| has an AMD 64-bit processor.
|
| bla bla bla.....
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;878474

Works perfectly fine on my A64.

I had random freezes with dual opteron 242's. Disabling DEP took care
of that though, its been real stable since.

Old August 26th 04, 01:46 AM
Carlo Razzeto

"Ed" wrote in message
SYMPTOMS
After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), your
computer repeatedly restarts. You do not receive an error message.

This issue occurs if all the following conditions are true:
* You install the 32-bit version of Windows XP SP2 on a computer that
has an AMD 64-bit processor.

bla bla bla.....

No problems on my A64 with DEP on...

Carlo

Old August 26th 04, 03:22 AM
Quintillionth Quaff

"Carlo Razzeto" wrote in message
"Ed" wrote in message
SYMPTOMS
After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), your
computer repeatedly restarts. You do not receive an error message.

This issue occurs if all the following conditions are true:
* You install the 32-bit version of Windows XP SP2 on a computer that
has an AMD 64-bit processor.

bla bla bla.....

No problems on my A64 with DEP on...

Carlo

If you upgraded to xp from 98SE and you left your files as FAT32 (which you
can do) then installed SP1 or SP2 which are NTFS not FAT32 your computer
will "repeatedly restart." It happened to me. I had to do a fresh install
of xp not an upgrade and format the HD for NTFS. That solved all my
problems which means no problems installing SP1 and or 2.

QQ

---

Old August 26th 04, 03:49 AM
Yousuf Khan

NoneOfBusiness wrote:
I had random freezes with dual opteron 242's. Disabling DEP took care
of that though, its been real stable since.

I think Microsoft anticipated these problems occurring, when it enabled DEP.
A lot of legitimate programs use the ability to write into whatever memory
locations they desire, and when the hardware no longer allows that, they
choke. In this case, the software also happened to be a device driver,
mpegport.sys, at least it sounds like a device driver or a service, so
instead of a nice warning that some program tried something not allowable
anymore, they just got a reboot (probably caused by a triple-fault, as the
same device driver tries the same thing over and over again). The hardware
can handle a double-fault, but it just reboots after that.

Yousuf Khan

Old August 26th 04, 05:28 AM
Carlo Razzeto

"Quintillionth Quaff" wrote in message

If you upgraded to xp from 98SE and you left your files as FAT32 (which
you can do) then installed SP1 or SP2 which are NTFS not FAT32 your
computer will "repeatedly restart." It happened to me. I had to do a
fresh install of xp not an upgrade and format the HD for NTFS. That
solved all my problems which means no problems installing SP1 and or 2.

QQ

---

I guess it's a good thing I used Windows NT 4.0 instead of 98... Then 2000,
then XP... And I always did fresh installs (after backing up my data of
course!). :-)

Carlo

Restart problem DJS0302 General 4 June 21st 04 03:33 PM
WinXP Install Problem? BobK General 3 June 2nd 04 10:10 PM
Serial ATA drivers for fresh install of WinXP??? Alceryes General 1 December 26th 03 10:21 PM
Dual Boot, How? Paul \(Erie\) General 1 June 24th 03 04:36 PM