Multiple IDE devices. How should I arrange them?

Old October 31st 03, 05:28 PM
Nathan

Default Multiple IDE devices. How should I arrange them?

Hi,

I've just bought a couple of extra bits of hardware so I now have:
2 x 80Gb hard drives (a older one which currently has my OS and data
on it and a new one I've just bought, presumably slightly faster).
1 x DVD-Rom drive
1 X DVD+RW burning drive

How should I arrange them on my two IDE cables:
An HD and a DVD on each, or the HD's on one, DVD's on another.
Which should be master and which slave?

Any advice much appreciated.

Old October 31st 03, 05:47 PM
Will Dormann

Nathan wrote:

Hi,

I've just bought a couple of extra bits of hardware so I now have:
2 x 80Gb hard drives (a older one which currently has my OS and data
on it and a new one I've just bought, presumably slightly faster).
1 x DVD-Rom drive
1 X DVD+RW burning drive

How should I arrange them on my two IDE cables:
An HD and a DVD on each, or the HD's on one, DVD's on another.
Which should be master and which slave?

I'd recommend one HD on each controller as master, and the DVD+RW on the
opposite controller from the HD that's storing your data to burn.

-WD

Old October 31st 03, 07:01 PM
Rod Speed

Nathan wrote in message
om...

I've just bought a couple of extra bits of hardware so I now have:
2 x 80Gb hard drives (a older one which currently has my OS and
data on it and a new one I've just bought, presumably slightly faster).

Worth checking that if the first one is getting a bit elderly now.
The new one could be significantly faster and better as the OS drive.

1 x DVD-Rom drive
1 X DVD+RW burning drive

How should I arrange them on my two IDE cables:
An HD and a DVD on each, or the HD's on one, DVD's on another.
Which should be master and which slave?

Its generally best to do what's most convenient mechanically
and thats usually with both hard drives on one ribbon cable
and both DVD drives on the other. Just because both hard
drives are usually in the 3.5" bay stack and both DVD drives
are usually in the 5" bay stack and most ribbon cables dont
have enough distance between the drive connectors to allow
the other config, one hard drive and one DVD drive on each cable.

The OS boot drive should normally be the master on that cable.

The DVD+RW drive would normally be best as
master on the cable with the DVD drives on it.

While some other configs can in theory be better, I bet
you wouldnt be able to pick the difference in a proper double
blind trial without being about to use a diagnostic or benchmark
so its generally best to go with whats easiest mechanically.

Old October 31st 03, 07:19 PM
Will Dormann

Rod Speed wrote:

While some other configs can in theory be better, I bet
you wouldnt be able to pick the difference in a proper double
blind trial without being about to use a diagnostic or benchmark
so its generally best to go with whats easiest mechanically.

Yeah, I guess I should further explain my previous suggestion. That
setup technically should work best, *but*, do not go out of your way to
set up your machine that way if it's not practical to cable. As Rod
says, you'll probably notice no difference whichever way you go.

-WD

Old October 31st 03, 07:26 PM
Tod

When you mix a harddrive and CR-ROM, DVD or burner on the same IDE cable,
the harddrive will be slowed down.
So put both Hard drives on IDE 1(boot drive as master)
and the DVDs on IDE 2.
Put the DVD Burner as master and the DVD player as slave.

om...

Old October 31st 03, 07:38 PM
Will Dormann

Tod wrote:

When you mix a harddrive and CR-ROM, DVD or burner on the same IDE cable,
the harddrive will be slowed down.

Please don't spread mis-information. This hasn't been the case for years.

-WD

Old October 31st 03, 08:47 PM
Bill Funk

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:26:03 GMT, "Tod"
wrote:

When you mix a harddrive and CR-ROM, DVD or burner on the same IDE cable,
the harddrive will be slowed down.
So put both Hard drives on IDE 1(boot drive as master)
and the DVDs on IDE 2.
Put the DVD Burner as master and the DVD player as slave.

Two words: Independent Timing
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Old October 31st 03, 10:08 PM
CJT

Rod Speed wrote:

Tod wrote in message

When you mix a harddrive and CR-ROM, DVD or burner
on the same IDE cable, the harddrive will be slowed down.

Wrong.

Well, they're not both going to be able to access the bus at the same
time, although unless the bus saturates at some point that won't affect
throughput.

So put both Hard drives on IDE 1(boot drive as master)
and the DVDs on IDE 2.

Put the DVD Burner as master and the DVD player as slave.

"Nathan" wrote in message
.com...

Hi,

I've just bought a couple of extra bits of hardware so I now have:
2 x 80Gb hard drives (a older one which currently has my OS and data
on it and a new one I've just bought, presumably slightly faster).
1 x DVD-Rom drive
1 X DVD+RW burning drive

How should I arrange them on my two IDE cables:
An HD and a DVD on each, or the HD's on one, DVD's on another.
Which should be master and which slave?

Any advice much appreciated.

After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the
mirror image of what you see before the "@" symbol. It's a shame such
steps are necessary. ...Charlie
Old October 31st 03, 11:10 PM
Rod Speed

CJT wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
Tod wrote

When you mix a harddrive and CR-ROM, DVD or burner
on the same IDE cable, the harddrive will be slowed down.

Wrong.

Well, they're not both going to be able
to access the bus at the same time,

Just as true with two hard drives on the same IDE cable.

although unless the bus saturates at some point

And thats much less likely to happen when its a
CD drive on the same IDE cable as the hard drive.