PC2700 Vs PC3200 Memory

Old January 14th 05, 10:40 PM
Sudhi

Default PC2700 Vs PC3200 Memory

My computer (eMachines T3256) came with PC2700 memory. Specs are he
http://www.emachines.com/support/sup...prodName=T3256

I found a good deal for PC3200 memory. But I am not sure if my computer
will recognize and work with this memory.

Would I be taking a big risk if I bought the PC3200 memory?
Thanks for your time.

Old January 14th 05, 11:26 PM
jacoby

"Sudhi" wrote in message
oups.com...
My computer (eMachines T3256) came with PC2700 memory. Specs are he
http://www.emachines.com/support/sup...prodName=T3256

I found a good deal for PC3200 memory. But I am not sure if my computer
will recognize and work with this memory.

Would I be taking a big risk if I bought the PC3200 memory?
Thanks for your time.

I believe the nforce2 chipset only supports up to pc2700. Others may
confirm.

Old January 15th 05, 02:08 AM
kony

On 14 Jan 2005 14:40:56 -0800, "Sudhi"
wrote:

My computer (eMachines T3256) came with PC2700 memory. Specs are he
http://www.emachines.com/support/sup...prodName=T3256

I found a good deal for PC3200 memory. But I am not sure if my computer
will recognize and work with this memory.

Would I be taking a big risk if I bought the PC3200 memory?
Thanks for your time.

Get the PC3200, it's backwards compatible and you're less
likely to have stability issues due to higher clockspeed
margin.

Old January 15th 05, 09:19 AM
WebWalker

On 14 Jan 2005 14:40:56 -0800, "Sudhi" wrote:

My computer (eMachines T3256) came with PC2700 memory. Specs are he
http://www.emachines.com/support/sup...prodName=T3256

I found a good deal for PC3200 memory. But I am not sure if my computer
will recognize and work with this memory.

Would I be taking a big risk if I bought the PC3200 memory?
Thanks for your time.

Theoretically all fast speed RAM (PC3200) are backward compatible.

--
WebWalker
Old January 15th 05, 10:29 PM
Alceryes

I believe the nforce2 chipset only supports up to pc2700. Others may
confirm.

Nforce2 officially supports up to PC3200. Many nforce boards will easily hit
PC3500 (217MEM/FSB) speeds with good memory.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"

- Alceryes

"jacoby" wrote in message
news

oups.com...

Old January 16th 05, 12:17 AM
kony

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:29:51 -0500, "Alceryes"
wrote:

I believe the nforce2 chipset only supports up to pc2700. Others may
confirm.

Nforce2 officially supports up to PC3200. Many nforce boards will easily hit
PC3500 (217MEM/FSB) speeds with good memory.

Early nForce2 chipsets only supported 166MHz/DDR333 FSB &
memory. Later steppings supported 200MHz/DDR400, except
only 166/333 when using the integrated video. While there
was potential to run asyc memory, it is not a good idea.

As for the last steppings of nForce2 IGP, maybe the
integrated video is officially spec'd to do 200/400? I
don't know for certain but I vaguely remember having one's
video @ 200/400.
Old January 17th 05, 02:47 PM
Sudhi

Thank you all for your input and help.

I had an online chat with eMachines support. (S)he told me that PC3200
wouldn't work. With the way my conversation (interaction) went with
him/her, it looked like a "safe" recommendation rather than an informed
and intelligent recommendation.

Meanwhile, the deal I found on memory turned out to be from a
manufacturer that didn't get good reviews on the Net. So, I am
temporarily postponing my purchase.

When I do purchase, I am considering PC3200 (with a good return policy)
and if that doesn't work, I will settle for PC2700.
Thanks again for your time.

Old January 17th 05, 07:19 PM
kony

On 17 Jan 2005 06:47:01 -0800, "Sudhi"
wrote:

Thank you all for your input and help.

I had an online chat with eMachines support. (S)he told me that PC3200
wouldn't work. With the way my conversation (interaction) went with
him/her, it looked like a "safe" recommendation rather than an informed
and intelligent recommendation.

Meanwhile, the deal I found on memory turned out to be from a
manufacturer that didn't get good reviews on the Net. So, I am
temporarily postponing my purchase.

When I do purchase, I am considering PC3200 (with a good return policy)
and if that doesn't work, I will settle for PC2700.
Thanks again for your time.

There is no technical reason why a motherboard that can run
PC2700, won't run PC3200. Occasionally a board will be
picky about the CAS or other timings, but this problem is no
more ore less prevalent whether the installed module were
spec'd as PC2700 or 3200.
Old January 17th 05, 07:41 PM
William W. Plummer

Sudhi wrote:

Thank you all for your input and help.

I had an online chat with eMachines support. (S)he told me that PC3200
wouldn't work. With the way my conversation (interaction) went with
him/her, it looked like a "safe" recommendation rather than an informed
and intelligent recommendation.

So you wanted an intelligent sounding recommendation that might not
work?????