Althlon 64 Retail Heatsink

Old December 12th 04, 12:43 AM
Not Known

Default Althlon 64 Retail Heatsink

Hi,

When you buy a retail athlon, with the heatsink and fan, do you need to put
any more of the grey gueewy stuff (whatever it's called) on the bottom of
the heatsink? My heatsink has a nice little pacth about an inch square on
the botton and I'm wondering that's enough?

Thanks

Paul

Old December 12th 04, 01:40 AM
Skeleton Man

When you buy a retail athlon, with the heatsink and fan, do you need to put
any more of the grey gueewy stuff (whatever it's called) on the bottom of
the heatsink? My heatsink has a nice little pacth about an inch square on
the botton and I'm wondering that's enough?

It's called thermal compound, and you don't need it unless you remove the
heatsink and put it back on (the patch is single use only, if you remove the
heatsink you'll have to scrape it off with a credit card, and apply your own
compound).

Regards,
Chris

Old December 12th 04, 02:12 AM
kony

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:43:41 -0000, "Not Known"
wrote:

Hi,

When you buy a retail athlon, with the heatsink and fan, do you need to put
any more of the grey gueewy stuff (whatever it's called) on the bottom of
the heatsink? My heatsink has a nice little pacth about an inch square on
the botton and I'm wondering that's enough?

Yes, that's enough. Either leave it alone OR clean it all
off completely and apply a different heatsink grease, which
might gain you a couple degrees.
Old December 12th 04, 12:20 PM
Not Known

OK excellent.

How do I measure though the temp of the CPU?

I've ordered an Antec P160 case http://www.xpcgear.com/antecp160.html which
has a front LED swivel panel which amongst other things has two temp probes.
Where should I put probes?

Old December 12th 04, 01:05 PM
kony

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:20:12 -0000, "Not Known"
wrote:

OK excellent.

How do I measure though the temp of the CPU?

I've ordered an Antec P160 case http://www.xpcgear.com/antecp160.html which
has a front LED swivel panel which amongst other things has two temp probes.
Where should I put probes?

Measure temp with the bios health monitor or windows
software available on motherboard CD or downloaded from
manufacturer. A temp probe can't begin to get near that
accuracy.

Put the case probes wherever you want them... One could
measure video card temp if your card doesn't have that
functionality, and the other an ambient case air temp
towards the middle-to-top, or whatever else you have temp
concerns about.

If you were to change to heatsink grease, it might be a lot
easier to do so NOW, not after you install heatsink and run
system. At that point the heatsink will be stuck to the
CPU, sometimes making it difficult to remove. Additionally
you then have to get it off of the CPU too, and it doesn't
just wipe off, may need scraped with a soft plastic tool
(like a credit card) and some petroleum solvent. Much
easier to just get if off the sink before it's used the
first time.