Which Wireless Option Is Good For Streaming Video?

Old October 21st 04, 04:32 PM
Jay Chan

Default Which Wireless Option Is Good For Streaming Video?

I want to know which wireless option is good for streaming video.

According to PC Magazine, they suggest dual-band A+G because we can
use the 802.11a for video and use 802.11g for other things. I don't
understand this. If 802.11a is good for video, I can simply get a
pure-802.11a and save some money. If I want 802.11g for longer range,
I can simply get a pure-802.11g because I believe the through-put
ratings for both 802.11a and 802.11g are the same anyway. I am
wondering why they made that suggestion. Are they talking about
combining the through-put of both 802.11a and 802.11g channels to
stream video; therefore getting double the through-put? But the info
from the manufacturer doesn't seem to suggest that.

I also see something called "Double-108Mb-Super-G" from NetGear that
claims to double the through-put of their 108Mb Super-G. That sounds
great. I heard good result from people who use NetGear single-108Mb to
stream "OK" quality video across multiple floors and walls. But I am
wondering if this is so good, why would people wait for 802.11n? (my
impression is that 802.11n will double the through-put of 802.11g)
There must be a catch somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan