Will PC4200 memory (ie 533MHz) can replace PC3200 (400MHz) - beingDDR2 ?

Old August 29th 04, 06:13 PM
@ earthlinkSPAM.net

Default Will PC4200 memory (ie 533MHz) can replace PC3200 (400MHz) - beingDDR2 ?

Hi

I use a ECS Motherboard model L4VXA2 that supports 533MHz

I currently use a PC3200, ie 400MHz bus memory.

If I put a PC4200, will it work - I understand that PC4200 is a DDR2
technology.

Thanks

Old August 29th 04, 08:04 PM
Noozer

"@ earthlinkSPAM.net" ""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net" wrote in message
k.net...
Hi

I use a ECS Motherboard model L4VXA2 that supports 533MHz

I currently use a PC3200, ie 400MHz bus memory.

If I put a PC4200, will it work - I understand that PC4200 is a DDR2
technology.

No, it's not... DDR2 is DDR2 technology.

My P4C800E works fine with PC4200 DDR 533 memory.

Of course if you're using a CPU with 533Mhz bus speed you only need DDR 266
memory. Even an 800 Mhz P4 CPU uses DDR400 memory at a 1:1 ratio.

Old August 30th 04, 07:21 AM
@ earthlinkSPAM.net

Hi

Thanks;

I am running DDR 400 memory - a matched pair of 256 MB - but it has a
total of 3 slots so there is one vacant.

My CPU is 533 FSB - should I upgrade to PC4200 so that I get the full
FSB of 533?

Old August 30th 04, 07:38 AM
kony

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:21:26 GMT, "@ earthlinkSPAM.net"
""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net" wrote:

Hi

Thanks;

I am running DDR 400 memory - a matched pair of 256 MB - but it has a
total of 3 slots so there is one vacant.

My CPU is 533 FSB - should I upgrade to PC4200 so that I get the full
FSB of 533?

P4 with 533 "FSB" is a quad-pumped (4X) 133MHz clock rate FSB.
DDR for 133MHz is (2X) 133, (X8) = ~2100... PC2100 memory is all
you need, certainly NOT PC4200.
Old August 30th 04, 08:55 PM
@ earthlinkSPAM.net

Is your argument strictly true if there are only multiples of 2 memory
slots - ie either 2 or 4 slots for memory that are matching (configuration).

I have 3 slots on the motherboard for memory.

Pls clarify me?

Old August 30th 04, 09:21 PM
kony

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:55:46 GMT, "@ earthlinkSPAM.net"
""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net" wrote:

Is your argument strictly true if there are only multiples of 2 memory
slots - ie either 2 or 4 slots for memory that are matching (configuration).

I have 3 slots on the motherboard for memory.

Pls clarify me?

It's not an argument unless you have some reason to disagree?

It does not change based on 2 or 4 slots or any other (anything).

Old August 31st 04, 02:27 AM
@ earthlinkSPAM.net

Hi

When I look in the Bias, it shows that the current FSB as 100 - I am
using a pair of matching memory of 400MHz, each 256MB.

It also shows 512 MB as the memory size.

So its using it as 512MB memory of 400 FSB - therefore the BIOS shows as
100 since somehow P4's has a factor of 4.

So I feel that I can go to PC4400 (or PC4200 - as long as the meory is
DDR adn NOT DDR2) and therefore my bias would shoe 533/4 = 133 (instead
of 100).

Is this correct?

Old August 31st 04, 02:54 AM
Hmmm Spam

"@ earthlinkSPAM.net" ""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi

When I look in the Bias, it shows that the current FSB as 100 - I am using
a pair of matching memory of 400MHz, each 256MB.

It also shows 512 MB as the memory size.

So its using it as 512MB memory of 400 FSB - therefore the BIOS shows as
100 since somehow P4's has a factor of 4.

So I feel that I can go to PC4400 (or PC4200 - as long as the meory is DDR
adn NOT DDR2) and therefore my bias would shoe 533/4 = 133 (instead of
100).

Is this correct?

I have some magic beans if you would like to buy them!

Seriously though you clearly have no understanding on this subject what so
ever. PC3200 is the fastest DDR RAM your Mobo is spec'd to use, anything
faster would be a great waste of money as you wouldn't see any benefit from
it. That is unless you happen to have the Mobo that is coloured purple and
happens to be the L4VXA2 V1.0C, this supports PC2700 Max so in that case the
PC3200 would already be faster than required.

Old August 31st 04, 04:07 AM
David Maynard

@ wrote:

Hi

When I look in the Bias, it shows that the current FSB as 100

Then your processor is a 100Mhz clock/400 Mhz Data rate P4.

- I am
using a pair of matching memory of 400MHz, each 256MB.

It also shows 512 MB as the memory size.

So its using it as 512MB memory

Yes

of 400 FSB

No. The memory is DDR, which means it's data rate is twice the clock
frequency. Your clock is 100 MHz so the DDR is running a 200 MHz data rate.

However, your PC3200 is rated for a 200 MHz clock (3200/16) for a DDR rate
of 400 (3200/8) so it's being run at half it's capability.

There's no reason to buy even faster RAM to run at even less than half it's
capability.

- therefore the BIOS shows as
100 since somehow P4's has a factor of 4.

So I feel that I can go to PC4400 (or PC4200 - as long as the meory is
DDR adn NOT DDR2) and therefore my bias would shoe 533/4 = 133 (instead
of 100).

Is this correct?

No