Modem problem with Presario 1810 laptop

Old April 13th 04, 05:32 AM
Porthos

Default Modem problem with Presario 1810 laptop

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario 1810 laptop and I’m having problem with the
configuration (detect) of the internal modem in Win2k, as you know it
originally comes with Win98. I have tried with many drivers and I
couldn’t get it work for me (don't detect it). Can someone help me with
this problem?.., what is the correct driver?.

Thanks in advanced,

Porthos

Old April 13th 04, 11:53 AM
HH

You will need to purchase a PCMCIA modem that comes with W2K drivers. None
are available for the internal modem since W2K is not a supported OS on the
1810.
HH

lkaboutcomputing.com...

Old April 14th 04, 02:16 AM
Terabyte

"Porthos" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario 1810 laptop and I'm having problem with the
configuration (detect) of the internal modem in Win2k, as you know it
originally comes with Win98. I have tried with many drivers and I
couldn't get it work for me (don't detect it). Can someone help me with
this problem?.., what is the correct driver?.

HH is right. You are better off getting a Pcmcia modem. Something in
the 1810 bios doesn't allow Win2K/XP to set the resources for the
modem. If you even try to set the resource manually it too won't work.
Even the most current lucent/conexant driver will not work either.
Just an aside, if you have to do a warm restart in Win2K does your
system freeze when it attempts to reboot and the only way to clear it
is to power off and then on again? I could never solve this problem on
the 1810. I had the same problem when I tried running Linux and BSD
too on the 1810. However, WinNT 4.0, Win98, and WinME had no problems
restarting from a warm boot. I eventually gave up and traded my 1810
at a local computer shop for a used Armada M700. It works quite nice
with Win2K and Linux. =)