S.m.a.r.t. hd error upon booting...

Old July 18th 04, 02:35 PM
David Ciemny

Default S.m.a.r.t. hd error upon booting...

Hi all..I keep getting a f1 error message when booting this machine
regarding that s.m.a.r.t. technology feels my disk will eventually crash. I
disabled this option in the bios yet the message still comes up during the
boot process and I have to hit f1 to proceed. I have an image of my drive
and other back ups so a crash would not be a disaster. How can I stop this
message from reappearing?

Dave

Old July 18th 04, 02:42 PM
Shepİ

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:35:27 GMT As another one bit the dust "David
Ciemny" wrote :

Hi all..I keep getting a f1 error message when booting this machine
regarding that s.m.a.r.t. technology feels my disk will eventually crash. I
disabled this option in the bios yet the message still comes up during the
boot process and I have to hit f1 to proceed. I have an image of my drive
and other back ups so a crash would not be a disaster. How can I stop this
message from reappearing?

Dave

Do you have any other software monitoring the S.M.A.R.T?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old July 18th 04, 02:55 PM
David Ciemny

Ciemny" wrote :

Hi all..I keep getting a f1 error message when booting this machine
regarding that s.m.a.r.t. technology feels my disk will eventually crash.

disabled this option in the bios yet the message still comes up during

the
boot process and I have to hit f1 to proceed. I have an image of my drive
and other back ups so a crash would not be a disaster. How can I stop

this
message from reappearing?

Dave

Do you have any other software monitoring the S.M.A.R.T?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

hello Shep )

no other monitoring software.

Dave

Old July 18th 04, 03:03 PM
Shepİ

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:55:40 GMT As another one bit the dust "David
Ciemny" wrote :

.. .
Ciemny" wrote :

Hi all..I keep getting a f1 error message when booting this machine
regarding that s.m.a.r.t. technology feels my disk will eventually crash.

disabled this option in the bios yet the message still comes up during

the
boot process and I have to hit f1 to proceed. I have an image of my drive
and other back ups so a crash would not be a disaster. How can I stop

this
message from reappearing?

Dave

Do you have any other software monitoring the S.M.A.R.T?

hello Shep )

no other monitoring software.

Dave

Weird :O
Can't think of anything else except to try enabling and disabling it
again in the BIOS :/

Old July 18th 04, 03:09 PM
David Ciemny

"Shepİ" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:55:40 GMT As another one bit the dust "David
Ciemny" wrote :

.. .
Ciemny" wrote :

[...]

It's really no big thing I guess. Just hit f1 and it continues on. Just a
little annoying to keep having to hit that button. I thought disabling it in
the bios would be sufficient.

Dave

Old July 19th 04, 04:18 AM
David Ciemny

"David Ciemny" wrote in message

"Shepİ" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:55:40 GMT As another one bit the dust "David
Ciemny" wrote :

.. .
Ciemny" wrote :

[...]

even flashed the bios to a newer version, disabled it and the f1 message
still appears. strange..

DC

Old July 19th 04, 06:01 AM
Paul Murphy

"Shepİ" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:55:40 GMT As another one bit the dust "David
Ciemny" wrote :

.. .
Ciemny" wrote :

[...]

Depending on the make and model of HDD there may be a utility provided by
the manufacturer which enables you to turn off S.M.A.R.T. on the drive
(haven't seen anything that resets a tripped flag though). Have a nosey at
their web site.

Paul

Old July 19th 04, 10:31 AM
David Ciemny

"Shepİ" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:55:40 GMT As another one bit the dust "David
Ciemny" wrote :

.. .

Ciemny" wrote :

[...]

will do..thanks Paul

Old July 20th 04, 02:14 AM
David Ciemny

"Shepİ" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:55:40 GMT As another one bit the dust "David
Ciemny" wrote :

.. .

Ciemny" wrote :

[...]

I did look at their website. States to disable in the bios. Only thing I can
think of now is to clear the cmos. Might that work? Like stated before it is
no big thing I can hit f1 and go but now it is the principle of the matter.
Want to fix it ))

DC

Old July 20th 04, 09:57 PM
David Ciemny

"Trentİ" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:35:27 GMT, "David Ciemny"
wrote:

Hi all..I keep getting a f1 error message when booting this machine
regarding that s.m.a.r.t. technology feels my disk will eventually crash.

disabled this option in the bios yet the message still comes up during

the
boot process and I have to hit f1 to proceed.

Did the BIOS revert to checking again?...or does the change that you
made stay as 'not check' in the BIOS?

If it stays set to 'not check', then you have another program that is
doing the checking.

Investigate msconfig...also any running processes and things in your
Event Viewer.

Have a nice week...

Trentİ

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

Still set to disabled in the bios. Don't see anything else running in the
background. Fresh install of windows on the machine.

DC

Booting w/ a flash drive Jon Davis General 4 May 22nd 04 06:14 AM
Intermittant Booting Paul General 12 February 25th 04 03:54 AM
S.M.A.R.T Monitoring Shark Boy General 3 January 11th 04 05:02 PM
Problem booting up after adding new hardware Slaphead General 4 October 17th 03 10:49 PM
Fooling motherboard into booting without CPU fan Michael Strorm General 7 October 6th 03 10:27 PM