how do you tell which ati driver your using?

Old October 15th 04, 08:39 AM
cowboyz

Default how do you tell which ati driver your using?

Confusing the hell out of me.

Under ATi control panel it has:

CATALYST Version 04.8
2D Version 6.14.10.6467
Packaging Version 8.042-040803a-016701C
Control panel version 6.14.10.5117

On Atis website I go to download the latest driver and it has CATALSY 4.1
Driver download.
But heres the kicker. Scrolling down I find the driver version
6.14.10.6483 which I can only assume is the 2D Version driver so that is a
latter one to what I have? Control panel is listed at 6.14.10.5125 so that
is a latter one again. And then there is a control CENTER at 1.0.1698.24142
No idea what I should be updating here.

Old October 15th 04, 11:48 AM
Martin Pick

"cowboyz" wrote in message
Confusing the hell out of me.

Under ATi control panel it has:

CATALYST Version 04.8
2D Version 6.14.10.6467
Packaging Version 8.042-040803a-016701C
Control panel version 6.14.10.5117

On Atis website I go to download the latest driver and it has CATALSY 4.1
Driver download.
But heres the kicker. Scrolling down I find the driver version
6.14.10.6483 which I can only assume is the 2D Version driver so that is a
latter one to what I have? Control panel is listed at 6.14.10.5125 so
that
is a latter one again. And then there is a control CENTER at
1.0.1698.24142
No idea what I should be updating here.

Retailers modify ATI`s catalyst drivers for themselves and only update every
so often. Use ATI Catalyst drivers from their website to stay up to date. Or
the omega drivers if you prefer. never used them myself.

Old October 15th 04, 02:53 PM
JT

"cowboyz" wrote in message
Confusing the hell out of me.

Under ATi control panel it has:

CATALYST Version 04.8
2D Version 6.14.10.6467
Packaging Version 8.042-040803a-016701C
Control panel version 6.14.10.5117

On Atis website I go to download the latest driver and it has CATALSY 4.1
Driver download.
But heres the kicker. Scrolling down I find the driver version
6.14.10.6483 which I can only assume is the 2D Version driver so that is a
latter one to what I have? Control panel is listed at 6.14.10.5125 so
that
is a latter one again. And then there is a control CENTER at
1.0.1698.24142
No idea what I should be updating here.

The latest version is 4.10 not 4.1. It's a bit confusing because you'd
expect it to go from 4.9 to 5.0, but ATI dates their drivers according to
the number of the month.....ie 9 for September and 10 for October etc....

Control Center is a new version of the old Control Panel which uses much
more memory but looks prettier and has a much different layout. It's more
for your average user IMO. Lots of complaints about it being a memory hog,
however and you also need to have .NET installed to run it. I tried it and
it didn't offer anything new and it seemed a little buggy and slow so I went
back to the old Control Panel. The download that is larger contains the
newer Control Center and the smaller download is the regular Control Panel,
but the driver version is definitely the newest official version.

Old October 15th 04, 04:20 PM
cowboyz

"JT" wrote in message

"cowboyz" wrote in message
[...]

Now that makes sense! It really seems like they are *trying* to make it
hard. In any case, I updated to 4.*ten* (when I went to school there was
no point ten but your explanation is a good one, they should have a short
explain on the top of the download page) and it gave me a nice little kick
of speed with my 9800pro so that is good. I don't play alot of different
games, just stick to a couple at a time which at the moment is FarCry and
Tiger Woods 2004 and they both play smoother than before so that is good.

Old October 15th 04, 06:15 PM
Inglo

On 10/15/2004 8:20 AM cowboyz brightened our day with:

"JT" wrote in message

"cowboyz" wrote in message

[...]

It would make more sense if they just called it 4·10 or 4-10.

--
"Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards and watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Old October 15th 04, 07:38 PM
cowboyz

"Inglo" ioo@??.¿¿¿ wrote in message news:SATbd.5979
[...]

agreed. Or could just add a .05 to it. like 4.95 or something just to keep
it normal.

Old October 16th 04, 01:27 AM
cowboyz

Mark wrote:
You wrote in thusly:

It would make more sense if they just called it 4·10 or 4-10.

agreed. Or could just add a .05 to it. like 4.95 or something just
to keep it normal.

It would make much more sense to add a zero before any month that is
not two digits. So, v4.8 would be v4.08, v4.9 would be v4.09, v4.10
would stay 4.10 and so on. Starting next January with 5.01

Didn't think of that - and neither did ATi apparently.