WinDVD 3/5 sez "Cann't find any cdrom/dvdrom device" - but File Manager can read all files on the drive!

Old August 12th 03, 11:53 AM
A Poster

Default WinDVD 3/5 sez "Cann't find any cdrom/dvdrom device" - but File Manager can read all files on the drive!

I get the message "Cann't find any cdrom/dvdrom device" from WinDVD!

I am running Win98 (SE), all latest M$ updates loaded.

WinDVD 3 used to work perfectly (for about two years).

I don't know when it stopped working, but I noticed the problem a few
days after I had upgraded from DirectX v8 to DirectX v9 on the
Microsoft website. BUT the problem may have been there earlier, as it
is months since I played a DVD on the machine.

BUT in Windows (File) Manager the DVDROM drive (Z: - as it always has
been) is listed, and the files on it are fully readable!

Audio CDs play perfectly.

And I can play DVDs by manually getting WinDVD to play the .VOB files
on the Z: drive. Of course, that means manually selecting another file
every 20 minutes or so (yech), and I lose all the DVD's menu features.

Which is why I don't think it is anything to do with the graphics
card, which is an ATI AGP 4x 32Mb card.

What I have tried so far...

- deinstalling and reinstalling WinDVD 3
- updating drivers for the ATI video card
- deinstalling the DVDROM device (a Toshiba) from the
StartSettingsControl PanelSystemDevice Manager menu, and letting
Windows automatically reinstall it on rebooting. Device Manager shows
no bad devices
- downloading some "ASPI" updates from the Adaptec site, which seemed
to be to do with SCSI but had some relevance (I read on Google)
- running Norton Systemworks diagnostics - on the Multimedia
diagnostics, it pops up the same "Cann't find any cdrom/dvdrom device"
error message in a window with title bar "WinDVD". No errors shown
with Norton "Windows Doctor".
- looking through Google - a few others have reported the same error
message, but no resolution (I emailed them too)
- downloading WinDVD 5 trial and using it instead: pressing Play does
nothing (as if there was no DVD in the drive)
- updating the M/Board BIOS (yes, desparation)

but nothing has changed the problem one tiny bit.

HELP!! Isn't this weird? The DVDROM and all the files are fully
accessible as a drive (Z, but WinDVD (v3 and now also v5) cannot
find it.

HELP!!