I can only use 384MB of RAM?

Old January 12th 05, 06:35 PM
Terry

Default I can only use 384MB of RAM?

I have an Asus P2L97 mainboard that states the maximum amount of RAM
supported is 384MB. I'm confused by this as I have 512MB installed that
appears to be working fine. When the computer boots I see 512MB of RAM
installed and windows "My Computer" properties sees 512MB.

If 512 is identifed what is happening with the other 128MB (512-384) of
RAM? Is it being ignored?

Also, can I run some type of BIOS upgrade that will allow for more RAM
(I would like a total of 1Gig)?

Thanks
Old January 12th 05, 06:58 PM
Jody

"Terry" wrote in message
I have an Asus P2L97 mainboard that states the maximum amount of RAM
supported is 384MB. I'm confused by this as I have 512MB installed that
appears to be working fine. When the computer boots I see 512MB of RAM
installed and windows "My Computer" properties sees 512MB.

Go to kingston.com
Check Asus-P2L97. Max ram support = 384MB
www.shikatronics.ca says the same thing

Are you sure you don't have the p2l97-ds version?
That one supports 512mb from shik's site.

Old January 12th 05, 07:12 PM
Rob Stow

Terry wrote:
I have an Asus P2L97 mainboard that states the maximum amount of RAM
supported is 384MB. I'm confused by this as I have 512MB installed that
appears to be working fine. When the computer boots I see 512MB of RAM
installed and windows "My Computer" properties sees 512MB.

If 512 is identifed what is happening with the other 128MB (512-384) of
RAM? Is it being ignored?

Also, can I run some type of BIOS upgrade that will allow for more RAM
(I would like a total of 1Gig)?

Thanks

Most likely the manual was simply written based on the capacity
of DIMMs that were available (or expected to be soon available)
at that particular time.

By was of comparison, I have built a few systems based on the
Tyan S288x boards and the manuals for those boards states that
they can only use DIMMs up to 2 GB. However, the S2885 works
just fine with 4 GB DIMMs from Crucial - and I would expect the
other S288x boards using that chipset to work fine also.
Old January 12th 05, 07:27 PM
Terry

Terry wrote:
I have an Asus P2L97 mainboard that states the maximum amount of RAM
supported is 384MB. I'm confused by this as I have 512MB installed that
appears to be working fine. When the computer boots I see 512MB of RAM
installed and windows "My Computer" properties sees 512MB.

If 512 is identifed what is happening with the other 128MB (512-384) of
RAM? Is it being ignored?

Also, can I run some type of BIOS upgrade that will allow for more RAM
(I would like a total of 1Gig)?

Thanks

I definately have the P2L97. Here is the crucial link
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...2L97&submit=Go

It does say 384 but I'm still confused as to whats happening with the
other 128MB. Does this slow down my system? Do I have any options for
more RAM or am I stuck?

Old January 12th 05, 07:32 PM
Terry

Terry wrote:
I have an Asus P2L97 mainboard that states the maximum amount of RAM
supported is 384MB. I'm confused by this as I have 512MB installed that
appears to be working fine. When the computer boots I see 512MB of RAM
installed and windows "My Computer" properties sees 512MB.

If 512 is identifed what is happening with the other 128MB (512-384) of
RAM? Is it being ignored?

Also, can I run some type of BIOS upgrade that will allow for more RAM
(I would like a total of 1Gig)?

Thanks

forget it, figured out what was happening. thanks for help though
Old January 12th 05, 09:32 PM
WoofWoof

Terry wrote:

Terry wrote:
I have an Asus P2L97 mainboard that states the maximum amount of RAM
supported is 384MB. I'm confused by this as I have 512MB installed that
appears to be working fine. When the computer boots I see 512MB of RAM
installed and windows "My Computer" properties sees 512MB.

If 512 is identifed what is happening with the other 128MB (512-384) of
RAM? Is it being ignored?

Also, can I run some type of BIOS upgrade that will allow for more RAM
(I would like a total of 1Gig)?

Thanks

forget it, figured out what was happening. thanks for help though

Well don't leave us hanging ... what was happening? Feedback when you
fix a problem is important - it helps others.
Old January 12th 05, 10:23 PM
Dick Lewis

"Terry" wrote in message
. ..
Terry wrote:
I have an Asus P2L97 mainboard that states the maximum amount of RAM
supported is 384MB. I'm confused by this as I have 512MB installed
that appears to be working fine. When the computer boots I see 512MB
of RAM installed and windows "My Computer" properties sees 512MB.

If 512 is identifed what is happening with the other 128MB (512-384)
of RAM? Is it being ignored?

Also, can I run some type of BIOS upgrade that will allow for more
RAM (I would like a total of 1Gig)?

Thanks

forget it, figured out what was happening. thanks for help though

And since you asked for help, would you like to share what you figured
out?

TTFN,
Dick

Old January 13th 05, 03:45 AM
BobS

maybe that board has built in video with shared ram from the main RAM?

my wife's A7N266 works that way. The 512 MB actual DDR shows up in Windows
as only 480 MB. the on board video uses (shares) 129 MB.

Bob

"Dick Lewis" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Terry" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 13th 05, 01:37 PM
Terry

Terry wrote:
I have an Asus P2L97 mainboard that states the maximum amount of RAM
supported is 384MB. I'm confused by this as I have 512MB installed that
appears to be working fine. When the computer boots I see 512MB of RAM
installed and windows "My Computer" properties sees 512MB.

If 512 is identifed what is happening with the other 128MB (512-384) of
RAM? Is it being ignored?

Also, can I run some type of BIOS upgrade that will allow for more RAM
(I would like a total of 1Gig)?

Thanks

The spec I was provided (by the company that made the PC) on the MB was
way off. I have a MSI that supports up to 3 gig.