Heatsink for Northbridge chip?

Old February 15th 04, 04:11 PM
DesignGuy

Default Heatsink for Northbridge chip?

The fan on my Northbridge chip has failed, and in my efforts to reduce PC
noise would like to replace with a larger heatsink such as Zalman's. Problem
is, I can't get the old heatsink off and I suspect it is held on with epoxy.
So my questions a

Is it possible to bold a larger heatsink to the existing one? Would this eve
be effective given the smaller contact surface area of the fins?

Do I even need to add a larger heatsink, given there will be no fan running?

Motherboard specs (courtesy of Belarc Adviser software):

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 761-686B
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 12/13/2000

The machine is a early 2000 vintage Micron with an AMD Athlon processor at
1.2 GHZ. I am not overclocking, nor do I plan to.

As far as I know there is no temperature sensor on the Northbridge that I
can monitor.

Old February 15th 04, 04:47 PM
Chris Stolworthy

Not really 100% on this, but if memory serves, the northbridge on a board
that old does not need to be "actively" cooled, shoul work fine with a
passive heatsink.

Old February 15th 04, 05:20 PM
philo

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
The fan on my Northbridge chip has failed, and in my efforts to reduce PC
noise would like to replace with a larger heatsink such as Zalman's.

Problem
is, I can't get the old heatsink off and I suspect it is held on with

epoxy.
So my questions a

Is it possible to bold a larger heatsink to the existing one? Would this

eve
be effective given the smaller contact surface area of the fins?

Do I even need to add a larger heatsink, given there will be no fan

running?

Why not play it safe and just replace the fan?

Old February 15th 04, 05:39 PM
DesignGuy

Why not play it safe and just replace the fan?

I'm trying to reduce the noise of the computer, and this particular fan is
one of the main culprits (even a borrowed replacement is noisy). I'd like to
go to passive cooling where possible.

Old February 15th 04, 07:00 PM
philo

"DesignGuy" wrote in message

Why not play it safe and just replace the fan?

I'm trying to reduce the noise of the computer, and this particular fan is
one of the main culprits (even a borrowed replacement is noisy). I'd like

go to passive cooling where possible.

you can probably use a lower r.p.m. fan that's physically
larger (and quieter)
i've done it for cpu's by using a home-made bracket...
although there are commercially made adaptors

Old February 15th 04, 07:32 PM
*Vanguard*

"DesignGuy" said in news:GSMXb.186920$U%5.920269@attbi_s03:
[...]

The trick that I've heard for removing an epoxied heat sink is to use dental
floss. You use it to saw through the epoxy. Some types of dental floss are
less effective (e.g., don't use waxed floss, and flat floss is probably is
worse than using string floss).

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old February 15th 04, 09:49 PM
w_tom

Reason for a Northbridge fan would be a 'fear' that normal
chassis airflow might be restricted. Serious systems attach
ribbon cables properly to not restrict airflow - making that
heatsink fan unnecessary.

Heatsink do cooling with a 200 LFM airflow. That means
airflow so gentle as to not be detectable by hand. Locate a
chassis fan to guarantee some airflow over that Northbridge
heatsink. That would be more than enough cooling without that
noisy little fan.

Better designs don't mount fans on heatsink. A larger (and
therefore quieter) fan sits off to side and blows air across
all heatsinks. Should the highest failure rate device in a
system (the fan) fail, then heatsink still provided sufficient
cooling - airflow not restricted by a noisy little fan.

Old February 16th 04, 12:19 AM

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:32:58 -0600, "*Vanguard*"
wrote:

The trick that I've heard for removing an epoxied heat sink is to use dental
floss. You use it to saw through the epoxy.

aw man, whats that doing to your teeth!?
Old February 16th 04, 12:42 AM
do_not_spam_me

"DesignGuy" wrote in message news:GSMXb.186920$U%5.920269@attbi_s03...

The fan on my Northbridge chip has failed, and in my efforts to
I can't get the old heatsink off and I suspect it is held on with epoxy.
So my questions a

Is it possible to bold a larger heatsink to the existing one?

Not unless you grind off all the heatsink fins to create a nearly flat
surface.

Place a single-edge razor blade or very thin knife blade between the
heatsink and chip at one corner and press and rock it sideways until
the epoxy cracks. It's safe to gently tap on the razor to wedge it in
more deeply, but don't overdo it. Do not try twisting off the
heatsink or prying between it and the circuit board because that can
pull the chip from the board. Clean off all the remaining epoxy
(scrape), and use epoxy or silicone rubber (RTV) to attach the new
heatsink. Silicone rubber (not paste) is preferred because it it
makes heatsink removal easy, and you don't need any special thermal
glue for this chip because it doesn't get that hot. Do not follow the
advice of the ignorant and use thermal grease in the middle and a drop
of super glue in each corner. A heatsink made for a 486 or Socket 7
CPU will cool this chip sufficiently.

How to identify my graphics chip? edek General 3 February 16th 04 08:08 AM
How to lap (polish) a heatsink? *Vanguard* General 7 December 4th 03 01:11 AM
Faulty fans: dust or bearings? S.Boardman General 37 October 16th 03 10:34 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
heatsink for socket 7 AD C General 8 July 27th 03 08:45 PM