Problem with External Hard Drive

Old February 13th 04, 09:19 PM
Flake

Default Problem with External Hard Drive

Hi,

I am using a Pentium III 733MHz with 384MB RAM with a Maxtor 40GB
Primary Master, 60 GB Primary Slave, HP 9300+ CD-Writer Secondary
Master, 16x DVD-ROM noname brand as Secondary Slave. I have a CompUSA
PCI 1394 Firewire adapter, geforce 2 MX video, Creative SB Live sound.
The external hard drive enclosure is from CompUSA and supports Firewire,
USB 2.0 and USB 1.1. The drive works fine in USB 1.1 but not in
firewire. Don't have USB 2.0 so I don't know if this will work or not. I
am running Windows 98 SE with all of the critical updates.

I am having a VERY aggravating problem with an external hard drive. The
hard drive is on a 1394 port (firewire). Whenever I want to copy files
from it to my IDE hard drives, the access LED on the external drive
stops flashing and eventually an error pops up. According to the
Microsoft Knowledge Base, I have to update the 1394bus.sys file and the
ohci1394.sys file. I have all of the updates that I need from Microsoft.
My version of the files are 4.10.2224 which was upgraded through a
special patch I downloaded from microsoft. It used to be 4.10.2222. The
MSKB mentions another update for version 4.10.222x where x is either 6
or 8, can't remember which, but won't tell me where or how to get this
update. Sometimes the drive will show an error message stating that it
can't write to the drive. The problem with this message is that I was
reading from the drive at the time, not writing. My firewire card works
fine because I am able to get video from a firewire digital camcorder.
This problem is really driving me nuts. I have usually managed to find
out how to fix problems that I have with my computer through internet
searches and newsgroup searches on google but I can't this time. If any
one has been able to fix this problem, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks for your help,

Dan
Old February 13th 04, 11:33 PM
kony

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:19:04 GMT, Flake wrote:

[...]

Here's a patch with file versions 4.10.0.2225 in it.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=252183

It appears that for newer verisons of these files you'll either have to
contact Microsoft, or search the 'net for them:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267304
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284837
Old February 15th 04, 03:02 AM
Flake

Hi,

I tried the enclosure with my 20GB hard drive in it on my fathers
computer. He has windows XP and the exact same problems occurred. I
tried it using his USB 2.0 connection and still the same things
happened. Only USB 1.1 seemed not to have these problems.

I have figured out a way to get the drive to work. The only way appears
to format the hard drive when it is in the enclosure. This is not
something I want to do right now as my 20GB drive only has about 100MB
of free space on it.

I found this out by taking an old 4GB hard drive and putting it into
the enclosure. I then formated the hard drive and ran scan disk on it.
Everything checked out okay. To make sure, I then copied 1.3GB of data
to the drive and then copied it back to my internal hard drives. There
were absolutely no problems.
Hopefully this information might help someone else that is having the
same problems. I can't format my 20GB drive yet but I will after I move
all of my files to CD. Good luck to everyone and thank you for your help
on this issue.

Dan

Old February 15th 04, 02:14 PM
Flake

Hi,

I'm learning about firewire, LOL. I put a reply to myself above, I
figured out what was wrong. The drive has to be formated in the
enclosure that you use it in. Once I did that to an old 4GB drive I had
laying around, all of the problems went away.

As far as drive letters, I do have my DVD-ROM drive as M: for movie. My
CD-RW drive I have as W: for writable. I will be naming my new drive as
Y: or Z: as soon as I get my 160GB hard drive to put into it.

Thanks for your reply,

Dan

Trent© wrote:

I know NOTHING about firewire! lol but...

The only thing I can think of...and you didn't mention any of this
so's I'm just guessin'...is that there may be a drive letter conflict.

Re-letter yer drives...W for the writer, R for the reader, and maybe
something near there for the other drive.

What letter is the firewire given?

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Old February 16th 04, 10:09 PM
Cyde Weys

Let me get this straight - you're not using a "true" external hard
drive, but rather, an adaptor/enclosure that allows you to plug a normal
hard drive into and then connect to a computer via USB/FireWire?
Old February 17th 04, 06:14 PM
Flake

Hi,

Yes, I purchased an external firewire enclosure from CompUSA and then
tried the hard drive I had in a USB 1.1 enclosure in it. The hard drive
in the USB enclosure was purchased separately from the enclosure and is
20GB. I had all sorts of problems with it in the firewire enclosure. It
was recognized fine and would allow me to copy files to it but when
copying files from it, it unmounted itself randomly. I tried updating my
ohci1394.sys file and my 1394bus.sys file but couldn't get up to the
versions that Microsoft said existed. Instead I could only upgrade to
4.10.2224 instead of 4.10.222x where x was either 6 or 8.
I had searched the internet for some posts about this problem. Most of
the posts said to update ohci1394.sys and 1394bus.sys and that may do
it. It didn't. A few posts said to format the hard drive in the
enclosure, but I had a 20GB hard drive in there with only around 100MB
free. Formatting it wasn't an option.
I looked around and found an old 4GB hard drive and put that into the
enclosure. I then formatted it. Now it works just fine. I have since
finally received my 160GB hard drive that I ordered for the enclosure
and have put that in there. I partitioned it and formatted it and I have
had absolutely no problems with it.
The answer was to format the drive in the enclosure. As far as getting
one of those units that come with the hard drive already inside, they
cost around $200 for 80GB or 120GB. My hard drive and enclosure when I
get the rebates back from the hard drive will have only cost me around
$120 to $130.

Dan

Cyde Weys wrote:
Let me get this straight - you're not using a "true" external hard
drive, but rather, an adaptor/enclosure that allows you to plug a normal
hard drive into and then connect to a computer via USB/FireWire?

Mysterious Hard Drive Problem Bill Anderson General 4 January 18th 04 03:43 AM
strange problem with hard drive James General 3 January 1st 04 03:17 PM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Hard drive problem MyndPhlyp General 1 November 11th 03 11:39 PM
Help! WinXP can't tell that my 2nd hard drive is already formatted FitPhillyGuy General 12 September 26th 03 03:38 AM