Pundit, Maximum hard disk size

Old April 1st 04, 10:34 PM
Rob

Default Pundit, Maximum hard disk size

I currently use a pundit as an MP3 server, but I am about to fill the hard
disk with data and need to get as big a disk as possible.

Can the Pundit handle disks over 137Gb with the standard built in ATA
controller?

Thanks In Advance
Old April 1st 04, 11:50 PM
KCB

"Rob" wrote in message
I currently use a pundit as an MP3 server, but I am about to fill the hard
disk with data and need to get as big a disk as possible.

Can the Pundit handle disks over 137Gb with the standard built in ATA
controller?

Thanks In Advance

What exactly is a pundit?

Old April 2nd 04, 01:23 AM
Guardian

"KCB" wrote in message

"Rob" wrote in message
I currently use a pundit as an MP3 server, but I am about to fill the

hard
disk with data and need to get as big a disk as possible.

Can the Pundit handle disks over 137Gb with the standard built in ATA
controller?

Thanks In Advance

What exactly is a pundit?

I believe Rob is talking about a mini pc... here's one for example:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...pn=AB-P2600-HT

Old April 2nd 04, 11:06 AM
Tim

The mobo is a P4S8L - not familiar with it. The details on Pundit are he

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=Pundit&langs=01

Chipset is SIS 651/962, so that will be a major factor.

The manual is available he

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/downl...delName=Pundit

I suspect the answer will be in the manual.

Failing that, I don't see any reason why, so long as you have Windows XP SP1
installed, you can't have the biggest disc drives available installed. You
may need to update the bios.... Check with your supplier and get them to
plug one in to confirm the bios sees the full size.

- Tim

Old April 3rd 04, 12:20 AM
Clas Mehus

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 22:06:01 +1200, "Tim" wrote:

The mobo is a P4S8L - not familiar with it. The details on Pundit are he

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=Pundit&langs=01

Chipset is SIS 651/962, so that will be a major factor.

The manual is available he

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/downl...delName=Pundit

I suspect the answer will be in the manual.

Failing that, I don't see any reason why, so long as you have Windows XP SP1
installed, you can't have the biggest disc drives available installed. You
may need to update the bios.... Check with your supplier and get them to
plug one in to confirm the bios sees the full size.

From what I remember, the SiS962-chip has ATA/133-support, and that
48-bit LBA is a part of Maxtor's specs on ATA/133. Will anyway be very
strange if such a new system don't have 48-bit LBA-support, so I don't
think this should be a issue.

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/