Unable to Get LiteOn CD-RW Drive Recognized i n DOS

Old December 28th 04, 08:19 PM
Charles V

Default Unable to Get LiteOn CD-RW Drive Recognized i n DOS

Am trying to adapt my "CD Rescue" dos backup program to work with a 2nd
computer equipped with a LiteOn CD RW drive instead of the Plextor drive
installed in my #1 computer. Both computers are using win2k operating
system. The CD Rescue program is a DOS based program

The LiteOn drive is model SOHR-5238S

My LiteOn drive is recognized by my BIOS in the #2 computer , but I've been
unable to get it recognized in DOS when using the modified CD Rescue floppy
start up diskette.

I assume the problem is due to my failure to properly modify the
"config.sys" and "autoexec.bat" files on my startup diskette.

The startup disk for the Plextor equipped #1 computer include the following
entries for these respective files:

The autoexec entry is:
A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:PLEX0001

The config.sys entries a
Last drive=Z
DEVICE=A:\ASPI8XX.SYS
DEVICE=A:\SYMCD.SYS /D:PLEX001
DOS=UMB
Files=30
buffers=30

Any suggestions as to changes that I should make in these two files to
enable the LiteOn drive to be recognized in DOS would be much appreciated.

Old December 28th 04, 09:19 PM
BobS

Charles,

the autoexec.bat and config.sys files you have are too specific, and point
to the plextor drive. win 98 can create a boot disk for you with the generic
oaki.something drivers, or you can go to bootdisk.com and download a generic
boot floppy that will enable your LiteOn CD drive to work with.

Bob

"Charles V" THIS.net wrote in message
.net...
Am trying to adapt my "CD Rescue" dos backup program to work with a 2nd
computer equipped with a LiteOn CD RW drive instead of the Plextor drive
installed in my #1 computer. Both computers are using win2k operating
system. The CD Rescue program is a DOS based program

The LiteOn drive is model SOHR-5238S

My LiteOn drive is recognized by my BIOS in the #2 computer , but I've
been
unable to get it recognized in DOS when using the modified CD Rescue
floppy
start up diskette.

I assume the problem is due to my failure to properly modify the
"config.sys" and "autoexec.bat" files on my startup diskette.

The startup disk for the Plextor equipped #1 computer include the
following
entries for these respective files:

The autoexec entry is:
A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:PLEX0001

Old December 28th 04, 10:12 PM
Noik

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:19:36 GMT, "Charles V"
THIS.net wrote:

The autoexec entry is:
A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:PLEX0001 =================

The config.sys entries a
Last drive=Z
DEVICE=A:\ASPI8XX.SYS
DEVICE=A:\SYMCD.SYS /D:PLEX001 =================
DOS=UMB
Files=30
buffers=30

You have different device names, they should be the same. Note the
extra "0" in PLEX0001 in autoexec.bat.

Old December 28th 04, 10:47 PM
Charles V

Thanks Noik,
That was a typo error when I typed my posting. The device names are correct
on the actual floppy ---- the floppy works on my #1 computer that has the
Plexwriter drive. I just need to change the device listings and cd driver
listing to reflect the use of the LiteOn drive (in lieu of the Plexwriter
drive), for use with my #2 computer. I have no info as to what to use as an
identification entry for the LiteOn drive ---- hopefully, someone in the
forum will know the correct identification symbol for the LiteOn model,
noted in my posting.

In my posting, I failed to mention that I have the LiteOn drive connected as
a single drive to the IDE Secondary socket and jumpered as Master/single.

CharlesV

Noik wrote in message ...
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:19:36 GMT, "Charles V"
THIS.net wrote:

The autoexec entry is:
A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:PLEX0001 =================

Old December 29th 04, 12:13 AM
Nil

On 28 Dec 2004, "Charles V" THIS.net wrote in
.net:

I have no info as to what to use as an identification
entry for the LiteOn drive ---- hopefully, someone in the forum
will know the correct identification symbol for the LiteOn model,
noted in my posting.

If you mean the string to use where you currently use "PLEX0001", I
thought that was aribitrary, that you could use anything as long as it
agreed in both autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Maybe SYMCD.SYS isn't compatible with the Lite-On?

Maybe you don't have enough low memory to load the driver. Try
installing HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE and loading the CD driver like this
(although I think it will usually load high on its own if it can):

LOADHIGH DEVICE=A:\SYMCD.SYS /D:PLEX0001
Old December 29th 04, 12:21 AM
Charles V

Thanks BobS for your response.

I've checked out bootdisk.com ---- but am not sure which of the multiple
bootdisk options to use as a win2k startup disk. I have downloaded the
WinImage file that appeared to be suggested for use on win2k. However, I
cannot find the procedure for generating the single bootdisk that was
referenced under the paragraph 3, copied below:
"3. The W2K Pro disks are zipped images from the MS CD. Best bet is to
download them, upzip them to a new folder where you also put makeboot.exe
and makebt32.exe into and then run one of the makeboot utils depending on if
you're in dos or windows to create the diskset. Or, one can use Winimage to
just create a single bootdisk. "

I'm on unfamiliar ground here ---- can you give me some further guidance?

CharlesV

Old December 29th 04, 12:29 AM
Dave Cohen

You neglect to mention the dos messages as you boot. Prior to getting the
command prompt you should get an acknowledgement that dos was able to
recognize and assign a drive letter. If you are not getting that, try using
a generic driver.
Dave Cohen

Old December 29th 04, 01:07 AM
Charles V

My last attempted edit of a startup disk for the #2 computer included the
following:

config.sys

LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICE=A:\SBIDE.SYS
DEVICE=A:\cdrom.SYS/D:MSCD001

files=30
buffers=30

autoexec

ECHO OFF
A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

On this disk, I also included the driver file "cdrom.sys" which is listed as
the LiteOn driver in the win2k Control Panel under Systems/hardware/device
manager.

I used the location entry as "DEVICE=A:\SBIDE.SYS" , based on a suggestion
covering instances where the IDE Secondary was used as the interface ----
not sure that this was a proper entry, however.

When using this disk, the DOS sequence stalled out at config.sys ----- prior
to reaching the point of recognizing the CD drive.

CharlesV

Old December 30th 04, 12:37 AM
BobS

David,

if you download the DOS 6.22 boot disk file, and make a boot floppy from it,
you should be able to boot with the floppy; when it boots up, choose the CD
support item. It has been a really long time since I did it, but I remember
that it did work fine. After it finishes booting to the DOS A: prompt, You
can run the file you want from your recovery CD. You mentioned that your
Recovery program runs from a DOS prompt, so this is the reason I went this
way with you.

Also, as I remember, the CD drive letter when you boot up with the Bootdisk
floppy is letter R. I could be wrong, but I believe that is is R.

You are running Win2000, but if your recovery program "sees" the NTFS files
on your hard drive or other Image source, it should work OK. You never
mentioned your recovery program, so I do not even know if I am familiar with
it or not.

Best regards,