P4C800-E and ICH5R RAID Problem

Old October 22nd 03, 12:58 AM
Steve

Default P4C800-E and ICH5R RAID Problem

Anyone notice if their ICH5R RAID 0 configuration produces an error after
coming out of standby? I have to restart the computer, hit CNTL-I to get
back into the Intel RAID setup and answer YES to the question confirming if
the existing configuration is the correct RAID configuration. After this, I
exit and it restarts just fine. I've noticed this about 6 or 7 times now
and it's getting old. Don't know if a bios update will fix it (running
1010) or not, but heard some not-so-good things about 1011 so hesitant on
updating again.

Anyone seen this? I'm sure it will go away if I move over to the Promise
controller, but the ICH5R is one of the reasons I bought this board so my
drives wouldn't be stuck on the PCI bus.

TIA,

Steve

Old October 22nd 03, 09:19 AM
Paul

Steve - I placed my newly built system into standby for the first time last
night and got a BSOD when I came out of it - I had to reboot but I did not
have to reconfigure using ctrl-i. However with two wd raptors running XP
pro (SP1a) in a RAID 0 setup pn the Intel ICH5R controller like yourself, I
am getting touchy and possibly paranoid if something should go wrong,
necessitating a full clean install. That said I have backed up the OS
Volume using Drive Image 7 - albeit this is on my other RAID 0 setup on the
Promise controller - hope I don't need it! Going into and coming out of
Hibernation is not a problem by the way.

Paul

This footnote confirms that this email message
has been swept by Norton AntiVirus for the
presence of computer viruses.

This computer is protected
by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

.. .

Old October 22nd 03, 05:33 PM
David Shorthouse

This may not be your issue, but a recent Windows Update for XP (KB822603)
caused my RAID0 array on a Highpoint 374 controller to begin receiving
countless errors, especially upon resume from S3 standby. Once I removed the
update, all was well.

Dave

.. .

Old October 23rd 03, 12:09 PM
Paul

Thanks Dave - yes I've heard about this somewhere in a forum, but discounted
it, god knows why! Unfortunately, silly me, I have not fully examined the
BSOD screens to see precisely what caused the fault in the first place. I
have this update - a fairly recent one - installed and probably will
install it. Camne across this: - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822603
Does this fix the problem or is it simply the original one to which you
refer?

At present I'm checking to see whether my tweak on my Radeon 9800 Pro is the
cause - I upped the core to 400 (from 378) and Memory to 350 (from 338).
I'm running now on the defaults to see if this improves matters. I will
report one way or the other - if this does not work I will remove the USB
update. Cheers

"David Shorthouse" wrote in message
This may not be your issue, but a recent Windows Update for XP (KB822603)
caused my RAID0 array on a Highpoint 374 controller to begin receiving
countless errors, especially upon resume from S3 standby. Once I removed

the
update, all was well.

Dave

"Steve" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

ICH5R chipset burn on a P4P800-E Deluxe Ian Homebuilt PC's 9 November 13th 04 06:07 AM
SATA Drives and Raid MrB General 2 June 2nd 04 01:08 AM
difference in onboard SATA RAID versus card George General 3 March 1st 04 07:20 PM
Combined RAID and non-RAID array? PghCardio Homebuilt PC's 3 October 3rd 03 03:27 AM
another raid question JT Homebuilt PC's 2 October 1st 03 10:25 PM