Best way for 6GB backup

Old July 24th 03, 05:06 PM
John

Default Best way for 6GB backup

Hey all...

I need to backup 6gigs of data onto CDRW's. What would be the best way to
accomplish this? I was thinking I could use winrar and split them up into
650MB parts and make 1 par file CD with smartpar. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
John

Old July 24th 03, 05:32 PM
Graham Mayor

If this is the *complete* contents of a data disc or partition, then you
could use Ghost to create a backup file in CDR sized chunks on another drive
for later copying to CDR/RW (or if you have lots of time - direct to
CDR/RW).
You can even persuade Ghost to skip files, but that would require a script
and thus your suggested method might be faster.

--

Graham Mayor

Old July 24th 03, 07:25 PM

John wrote:
: Hey all...

: I need to backup 6gigs of data onto CDRW's. What would be the best way to
: accomplish this? I was thinking I could use winrar and split them up into
: 650MB parts and make 1 par file CD with smartpar. Any other ideas?

You might want to wait until tomorrow and look at Nero6. They're
a bit short on details but it sounds like they've expanded their
"hard drive image" function into a more standard backup program.

If that doesn't work (or you don't want to spend the money), the
winrar route will work. It's even got split-points for 650 and
700 meg CDs built into the system so you don't have to worry
about getting the size right.

Jamie

Old July 25th 03, 12:33 AM
Mike Richter

John wrote:
Hey all...

I need to backup 6gigs of data onto CDRW's. What would be the best way to
accomplish this? I was thinking I could use winrar and split them up into
650MB parts and make 1 par file CD with smartpar. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
John

WinOnCD can compress and span files and folders.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old July 25th 03, 01:59 AM

John wrote:

: Huh... I have had Nero 6 for a while (my main burning program) didn't know
: it had a good backup program. I will look. Thx!

I don't think you've had 6 "for a while" unless you're running
a pre-release warez version. The latest available now is
5.5.10.42 with 6 being released tomorrow.

Jamie

Old July 25th 03, 05:40 AM
mike

John wrote:
Hey all...

I need to backup 6gigs of data onto CDRW's. What would be the best way to
accomplish this? I was thinking I could use winrar and split them up into
650MB parts and make 1 par file CD with smartpar. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
John

Skip the CDRW. You can buy a used 6gig hard drive for less than the
cost of an equicalent number of CDRW disks. Back up directly to the
second hard drive. At intervals, copy the files to CDRW for longer
term storage. Ghost has everything you need.
mike

400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $495
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Old July 25th 03, 02:41 PM
William Leech

In message , John
writes
Hey all...

I need to backup 6gigs of data onto CDRW's. What would be the best way to
accomplish this? I was thinking I could use winrar and split them up into
650MB parts and make 1 par file CD with smartpar. Any other ideas?

WinOnCD can span files across multiple discs, and includes a reader
program to allow you to retrieve the file(s). Accuburn-R will also span
files across multiple CDs; but will not be able to handle any one file
larger than the CDs capacity.
HTH
--
William Leech May the Vortex be with you:
http://www.lasersailing.com/vortex/vortex.asp
Old July 26th 03, 05:11 PM
HerHusband

John,

DVD drive to burn DVD's before.
-or+ doesn't matter for just data backup right?

I wouldn't think so since you'll probably only use your own drive to
read/write the disks. Of course, if you are going to share disks with other
computers, or if your drive fails and you have to buy a replacement, it
might become an issue?

I have heard stories of bad disks
and errors on DVD Writables. Any clue?

I've written over 100 DVD-R's and haven't had a bad one yet (cheap brand I
order online). Same goes for the DVD-RW's I've written, erased, and
rewritten.

I'm sure there are the occasional bad disks though. I've encountered it
with CD's in the past, so I'm sure DVD's are the same. That's one of the
reasons it is important to make multiple backups, just in case one of the
disks goes bad.

Anthony
Old July 29th 03, 01:03 AM
Ric

"HerHusband" wrote in message
I need to backup 6gigs of data onto CDRW's.
What would be the best way to accomplish this?

I use the backup program "Backup MyPC" by Stomp Software. It supports most
CDRW and DVD drives. It can compress your files during backup, and
automatically span disks when one gets full.

Skip the CDRW. You can buy a used 6gig hard drive for less than the
cost of an equicalent number of CDRW disks. Back up directly to the
second hard drive.

I personally use a DVD-R drive with DVD-RW disks to backup my hard drive.
That 6-gig could easily fit on two DVD's, maybe even one if the files can
be compressed significantly.

I pay about $5 for the DVD-RW disks, and they are more rugged, easier to
transport and store than a hard drive would be. They also allow me to keep
multiple backups of my files (in case a backup disk fails). I can also use
the DVD-R drive to create video DVD's from our home movies.

Anthony

Could you elaborate on "rugged"? I've come to the conclusion that CD-R is
just a horrible medium for backup or archival purposes, as I've seen too
many old discs fail to be readable. Years ago I insisted on only using
Mitsui or Kodak CD-Rs to ensure longevity. But then my Mitsui CDs started to
have the top layer flake off and produce visible hole, which one would
generally think is a bad thing. So I decided there was no point in spending
2 or 3 times the money for media that wasn't necessarily any more reliable.

Now is there something inherently different about DVD recordable media that
would make me trust them more? I currently consider the technology slightly
out of my price range, but I might reconsider that if it was a reasonable
backup solution.

At the moment, I just try to keep all my valuable data on at least 2
different hard drives and make multiple CD backups, in the hope that if
they're ever needed, at least one of them will be readable... Sadly, I'm not
that diligent...

Ric

Cheap Server for HOME LAN backup? jtsnow Homebuilt PC's 9 January 31st 05 03:52 AM
Backup Strategy Neil Rudd General 0 June 9th 04 10:30 AM
Backup My PC - Tech Support Jim T. General 5 June 4th 04 05:28 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
What kind of backup to use? JohnnyK General 4 May 15th 04 02:54 AM