Baby-AT/mATX case recommendation needed

Old October 6th 04, 04:37 AM
Hackworth

Default Baby-AT/mATX case recommendation needed

I need a small tower case that supports *both* Baby-AT motherboards *and*
Micro ATX motherboads. I'm putting a basic system together for my
mother-in-law using an Asus P5A-B motherboard now, but will upgrade her
system with a Micro ATX/AthlonXP combo which I will have available after
Christmas. The case can have an ATX power supply in it (because the P5A-B
supports AT or ATX power supplies), but I need a case that comes with two
backplates, one to accommmodate the P5A-B's AT form factor and one for the
future ATX form factor. Any recommendations?

Old October 6th 04, 07:31 AM
Matt

Hackworth wrote:

future ATX form factor. Any recommendations?

ATX is not only in the future. ATX has been dominant for something like
six years. Maybe you mean you need one that works with both ATX and
Micro ATX. If a case works for Micro ATX, it also works for ATX, unless
I am wrong. More at formfactors.org.
Old October 6th 04, 08:23 AM
David Maynard

Matt wrote:

Hackworth wrote:

future ATX form factor. Any recommendations?

ATX is not only in the future. ATX has been dominant for something like
six years. Maybe you mean you need one that works with both ATX and
Micro ATX. If a case works for Micro ATX, it also works for ATX, unless
I am wrong.

It's the other way around as mATX is the shorter version of ATX. I.E. If
it'll hold a full size ATX then the shorted mATX will also fit.

More at formfactors.org.

Old October 6th 04, 08:39 AM
Matt

David Maynard wrote:
Matt wrote:

Hackworth wrote:

future ATX form factor. Any recommendations?

ATX is not only in the future. ATX has been dominant for something
like six years. Maybe you mean you need one that works with both ATX
and Micro ATX. If a case works for Micro ATX, it also works for ATX,
unless I am wrong.

It's the other way around as mATX is the shorter version of ATX. I.E. If
it'll hold a full size ATX then the shorted mATX will also fit.

Whoops, yes, of course.
Old October 6th 04, 09:02 AM
David Maynard

Matt wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

Matt wrote:

Hackworth wrote:

future ATX form factor. Any recommendations?

ATX is not only in the future. ATX has been dominant for something
like six years. Maybe you mean you need one that works with both ATX
and Micro ATX. If a case works for Micro ATX, it also works for ATX,
unless I am wrong.

It's the other way around as mATX is the shorter version of ATX. I.E.
If it'll hold a full size ATX then the shorted mATX will also fit.

Whoops, yes, of course.

Btw, WRT his original question, a Baby AT will fit in a mATX case (but mATX
won't go in a Baby AT case), and I've got the plates for an Antec (both
with and without the PS2 mouse port), but I don't know if any case
manufacturer is just automatically supplying them with new cases now days.
Considering how old AT is I'd suspect not.

Old October 7th 04, 04:34 AM
Hackworth

"Matt" wrote in message
Hackworth wrote:

future ATX form factor. Any recommendations?

ATX is not only in the future. ATX has been dominant for something like
six years.

Matt, I'm afraind you misunderstood my original post. Perhaps I wasn't veyr
clear. By "future," I meant the mATX motherboard that I intend to install in
her computer after Christmas. Right now, all I have for her is a Baby-AT
format motherboard. I guess what I really need is a case that comes with
both an ATX backplate *and* an AT backplate.

Old October 7th 04, 05:42 AM
David Maynard

Hackworth wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message

Hackworth wrote:

future ATX form factor. Any recommendations?

ATX is not only in the future. ATX has been dominant for something like
six years.

Matt, I'm afraind you misunderstood my original post. Perhaps I wasn't veyr
clear. By "future," I meant the mATX motherboard that I intend to install in
her computer after Christmas. Right now, all I have for her is a Baby-AT
format motherboard. I guess what I really need is a case that comes with
both an ATX backplate *and* an AT backplate.

Oh heck, for that short a period of time don't bother with a backplate.
Just put the baby AT in without one. Technically it'll leak some EMI but I
doubt you'd notice it and it would be no worse than folks who knock out the
5 1/4 inch bay plates and then don't use them all.

Except for some 'convenience' knock outs for serial and parallel ports,
which your baby AT probably provides PCI slot plates for anyway, the only
thing in an AT cover plate is a single hole for the keyboard connector. So,
if you are paranoid about EMI, you could simply cut a wire screen to fit
and snip a hole into it for that one keyboard connector, but I wouldn't
even bother with that.