Why are Belkin leads so expensive (in the UK)?

Old September 18th 04, 11:13 PM
Richard Dower

Default Why are Belkin leads so expensive (in the UK)?

"CrackerJack" wrote in message
Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?
The price of some of their leads is amazing.

They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.

Based on my belief that they are overcharging massively for leads, I won't
buy anything else from them as I suspect they are overcharging for that
too!

Are my observations about Belkin reasonable?

It's true, all their leads are expensive, dunno why.

Old September 19th 04, 03:17 AM
Matt

Richard Dower wrote:
"CrackerJack" wrote in message

Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?

Are "leads" what you Brits call what we Yanks call "cables"?

In the US, you pay way more when you buy directly from Belkin than you
do when you buy Belkin stuff through a general retailer.
Old September 19th 04, 08:20 AM
George Macdonald

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:42:29 +0100, CrackerJack
wrote:

Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?
The price of some of their leads is amazing.

They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.

Based on my belief that they are overcharging massively for leads, I won't
buy anything else from them as I suspect they are overcharging for that too!

Are my observations about Belkin reasonable?

Somewhat. They are quite strange... with some products, including some
cables, at hugely inflated prices and others quite competitive. A dual
DVI-D cable I looked at was $70. at a CompUSA store - even higher than
price shown at www.belkin.com. I've also found their parallel printer
cables at reasonable prices so I don't know what to make of it. Maybe they
still have dreams of the days when people would spend $100. for an
external SCSI cable.

The funny thing is that they also sell junk - I bought a Belkin brand
keyboard based on their reputation, though the price was very low... and
turned out to match the "quality". It had several keys which didn't work -
couldn't figure why BIOS Setup changes were not umm, taking at first, when
I was sure I'd hit "Y":-) - and the keys felt as bad as anything I've come
across. It came with a nice USB-PS/2 adapter though.:-)

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old September 19th 04, 08:13 PM
Ace Internet

Some of the lower value items are more expensive than other
cheaper imported leads.

However, Belkin do offer a "lifetime warranty" on their leads. I
suppose this has to come at a cost.

Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 0870 740 7555 | f: 0870 740 5335 | e:

Old September 20th 04, 04:22 AM
keith

wrote:

Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?
The price of some of their leads is amazing.

They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.

Based on my belief that they are overcharging massively for leads, I won't
buy anything else from them as I suspect they are overcharging for that too!

Are my observations about Belkin reasonable?

Somewhat. They are quite strange... with some products, including some
cables, at hugely inflated prices and others quite competitive. A dual
DVI-D cable I looked at was $70. at a CompUSA store - even higher than
price shown at www.belkin.com. I've also found their parallel printer
cables at reasonable prices so I don't know what to make of it. Maybe they
still have dreams of the days when people would spend $100. for an
external SCSI cable.

OTOH, my Belkin KVM switch is superb. I got a decent deal on it, so I'm
*quite* happy with Belkin. ...understanding that no company is perfect.

snip

--
Keith
Old September 22nd 04, 11:33 PM
John Hardaker

"CrackerJack" wrote in message
Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?
The price of some of their leads is amazing.

They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.

Based on my belief that they are overcharging massively for leads, I won't
buy anything else from them as I suspect they are overcharging for that
too!

Are my observations about Belkin reasonable?

Anybody who attends computer fairs knows how much leads/cables can be bought
for. Mains leads a pound, etc. PC-World and the like are 10 times the price.

Old September 23rd 04, 12:44 PM
Brian B.,

"John Hardaker" wrote in message ...
"CrackerJack" wrote in message
Why are Belkin leads so expensive here in the UK?
The price of some of their leads is amazing.

They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.

Based on my belief that they are overcharging massively for leads, I won't
buy anything else from them as I suspect they are overcharging for that
too!

Are my observations about Belkin reasonable?

Anybody who attends computer fairs knows how much leads/cables can be bought
for. Mains leads a pound, etc. PC-World and the like are 10 times the price.

Worked for a small pc retailler briefly. They had a 500% - 1000%
markup on various computer leads and were still miles cheaper than the
big pc outlets.
Why are they so expensive? Because they can get away with it.
Old September 23rd 04, 01:46 PM
Rob S

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:33:00 +0100, "John Hardaker"
wrote:

- They don't seem that much better made than much cheaper leads.

*Some* Belkin products are better quality than cheaper ones. But of course YMMV
depending on what you order. I have some really decent quality parallel cables
from them - they may not be electrically any better than cheapos, but they
"feel" nice, and have v smart and easy to use thumbwheels to screw them in.

I put them, mentally, in the same bracket as Targus, who make some similar
stuff......

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com