Catchup and More HD upgrade questions...

Old July 20th 04, 05:23 PM
Ralph D.

Default Catchup and More HD upgrade questions...

First things first... for those who answered my last situation... I have not
wanted to claim a fix until I drove it around the block a while, but: The
boot fail at the splash screen appears to have been caused by an HP printer
that went south. It was suggested that I try booting without it connected
and it all fired right up and XP fixed itself accordingly. I have now used
it with new printer for a couple of days without incident.

That brings me to the new situation. I am finally going to clone this sucker
for protection's sake as that was too close of a call.

I decided to buy a Seagate 8M 7200 120G drive (snagged it at Best Buy $69
after rebate). I intend to clone my old Maxtor 40G to it and then eventually
install a removable bay and update the OS's and Data to the then removable
40 G from time to time (or at least the OS's once I run outta room for data
in a year or more). I have read the threads on drives, but I have a slightly
different situation.

I have a 40G with 4 partitions. 1 Win98SE, 1 XP Home, 1 large Data (jpgs and
PSP files, etc) and one small (1G) data. This drive was formatted entirely
FAT (and likely will stay that way) and then I used Partition Magic 4 to
partition. I spent all my change on the new drive and do not want to buy
PMagic 8 or whatever it is now (I can handle a few dollars for Ghost or
something, but not PM as it seems to be pricey now).

Ideally, I would just clone the 40G to the 120, and then extend the 1G
partition to utilize the other 80G, but I do not know if Partition Magic 4
can see 80 or 120 Gigs. Can it? Any Work-arounds? I could FDISK the 120 into
three 40's and then still have the 4 partitions on one, but how difficult
will that make life for everything involved (not to mention that I would now
add two more drive letters where I've already got 4 for partitions, two each
for CD and DVD and I still have the removable drive bay to add and the
removable card slots on the printer)?

Since I primarily use XP and the Large Data partitions, I could just clone
those every week or three, but it seems I'm just not seeing the simple
solution.

Any suggestions appreciated.