bootable cd does not boot in new system

Old June 4th 04, 10:19 AM
Rob Beattie

Default bootable cd does not boot in new system

I have finally got all my bits together so that I can start building a
new computer. After installing the hardware I find that I am unable to
boot from XP cd.
Have set the cd rom to be the the 1st boot drive but all I get is the
'booting from cd' message followed by a blank screen with flashing
cursor in the top left hand corner.
I have an Abit IS7 board with two hard drives on IDE1 and a Pioneer
107 DVD rewriter(from which I am trying to boot) as master on IDE2.
I know that the XP cd is ok as my old computer can boot from it with
no troubles so could the problem be that you cannot boot from a
secondary drive or maybe I have to do something to the dvd rewriter to
make it bootable?
and I thought I knew how to install XP!

Old June 6th 04, 10:47 AM
Rob Beattie

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:04:32 -0700, "Dave"
wrote:

Are the jumpers on you hard drives set correctly?

"Rob Beattie" wrote in message
I have finally got all my bits together so that I can start building a
new computer. After installing the hardware I find that I am unable to
boot from XP cd.
Have set the cd rom to be the the 1st boot drive but all I get is the
'booting from cd' message followed by a blank screen with flashing
cursor in the top left hand corner.
I have an Abit IS7 board with two hard drives on IDE1 and a Pioneer
107 DVD rewriter(from which I am trying to boot) as master on IDE2.
I know that the XP cd is ok as my old computer can boot from it with
no troubles so could the problem be that you cannot boot from a
secondary drive or maybe I have to do something to the dvd rewriter to
make it bootable?
and I thought I knew how to install XP!

I used a cdrw drive from my old system and everything worked ok. The
problem was that the dvd-rw drive does not work :-(.
Thanks for replying.