Lockup playing AVI file with pivoted display

Old May 7th 11, 09:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Russell May[_2_]

Default Lockup playing AVI file with pivoted display

My 2002-vintage computer has a recently-installed CPU and LCD display.
The computer locks up with the display pivoted 90 degrees via
irotate.exe while playing AVI files using Nero ShowTime, producing a
medium-high-pitched sound. The lockup seems to happen only when the
display is pivoted. Nero ShowTime is the only program I have which
will show AVI movies while the display is pivoted.

The last time this happened, CPU temperature was 43 degrees C and CPU
utilization was about 30 percent.

I reset the computer to recover from these lockups, only to find that
CPU hyper-threading is disabled until I restart Windows, which runs
very slowly, and then restart the computer and Windows again.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to stop this lockup while the
display is pivoted?

System description
Windows 32-bit XP SP3, Nero 6.6 including ShowTime 2.0.1.9,
irotate.exe 1.37, Microsoft Security Essentials, 2010 Tune-up
Utilities. Dell 2700FP LCD monitor A02, 1600x1200 pixels (pivoted to
1200x1600), 32-bit color, DVI cable. Gigabyte GA-8IEXP motherboard
(533MHz FSB), 1.5GB PC-2700 ECC memory. 3.06GHz Pentium 4 CPU
(Northwood with hyper-threading). Radeon 9000 AGP-4X video board.
Samsung 200GB and 250GB IDE internal drives, Samsung 1.5TB eSATA
external drive, SiI 3512 eSATA controller board, 6Mbps DSL via 2-Wire
AT&T 2701HG-B gateway.

Old May 7th 11, 09:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
BillW50

On 5/7/2011 3:15 PM, Russell May wrote:
[...]

Anything in the Event logs? I don't think you can get to this point in
Safe Mode, but it might be worth a shot.

I'm guessing that you have a driver conflict between the video driver
and Nero. And either going to newer or older drivers (both Nero and/or
video drivers) might be the way to go.

You could also try that Performance slider under the Display Properties
as well. As that would probably fix it, but changing the driver(s)
version(s) would probably be better if possible.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0
Old May 7th 11, 11:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Russell May[_2_]

On Sat, 07 May 2011 15:15:33 -0500, Russell May
wrote:

[...]

correctionell 2007FP

Old May 8th 11, 05:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Russell May wrote:
[...]

Have you looked in the Entechtaiwan forums ? I would expect your
Radeon 9000 to work, at least a bit better than some of the
integrated Northbridge graphics. ATI and Nvidia cards usually
have the best feature support (stuff just works).

http://forums.entechtaiwan.com/index.php?board=9.0

I'm intrigued by your "medium-high-pitched sound". That could be coming
from a switching converter circuit, but exactly which one, and why, I
can't tell from the symptoms so far.

ATI might have a rotation function in their software (CCC), but depending
on when driver development stopped, it might be broken by SP3. And irotate
can't do any better than the CCC software, because irotate isn't rotating
the image itself. (There is some rotation software, that actually recomputes
what the image should look like, and displays that instead of the original
image, at some cost to GPU or CPU performance.)

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...threadid=96189

"Need help on how to rotate monitor(orientation of display)"

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-04ac30ec3642/

Paul
Old May 8th 11, 04:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
BillW50

In ,
Paul wrote:
... ATI and Nvidia cards usually have the best feature support (stuff
just works).

Huh? Which galaxy does this happen in? As here, ATI and Nvidia has an
extremely high failure rate. And I avoid either of them for my general
purpose computers. Only on my dedicated game PCs use them.

And didn't Nvidia already fork out $200 million in a class action
lawsuit? They didn't pay this because their stuff just works. But rather
because they don't work.

Nvidia settles bumpgate class action lawsuit
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...action-lawsuit

Lawsuit claims Nvidia hid serious flaw in graphics chips
http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-...hics-chips-439

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Old May 8th 11, 04:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Abi Normal

On May 8, 10:39*am, "BillW50" wrote:
,

Nvidia settles bumpgate class action lawsuithttp://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1736698/nvidia-settles-bumpg...

Lawsuit claims Nvidia hid serious flaw in graphics chipshttp://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/lawsuit-claims-nvidia-hid...

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

I believe he was referring to software that works and not hardware.
Please try to follow along! {B^)}
Old May 8th 11, 06:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
BillW50

In
,
Abi Normal typed:

Paul wrote:
[...]

What good is the software when the hardware doesn't work? So perhaps you
should try to follow along. Plus many say that ATI and Nvidia software
isn't so hot anyway.

"Remember when the first Radeon came out. They (ATI) were found to have
cheated and tweaked their drivers to do extremely well on benchmarks,
but in reality, sucked at other real world applications?"

Why I think ATI sucks and won't buy their hardware if I can avoid it
http://www.techimo.com/forum/graphic...can-avoid.html

And a simple Google search will show zillions of other people who don't
buy that neither company has such great software either.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Old May 9th 11, 12:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Abi Normal

BillW Spewed forth

And a simple Google search will show "zillions" of other people who don't
buy that neither company has such great software either.

Very factual, thanks! So you advocate integrated graphics only?
Old May 9th 11, 01:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
BillW50

In
,
Abi Normal wrote:
BillW Spewed forth

And a simple Google search will show "zillions" of other people who
don't buy that neither company has such great software either.

Very factual, thanks! So you advocate integrated graphics only?

No... I have computers that has either or. And when integrated graphics
doesn't cut it, I use dedicated graphics. But to be frank, most computer
tasks works just fine with integrated graphics.

While I don't have any of these, there are hybrid computers that has
both. And I find this very interesting. And when graphic demands becomes
too great for integrated graphics they switch to dedicated graphics.

Old May 9th 11, 02:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Abi Normal

On May 8, 7:15*pm, "BillW50" wrote:
,

Abi Normal wrote:
BillW Spewed forth

And a simple Google search will show "zillions" of other people who
don't buy that neither company has such great software either.

Very factual, thanks! So you advocate integrated graphics only?

No... I have computers that has either or. And when integrated graphics
doesn't cut it, I use dedicated graphics. But to be frank, most computer
tasks works just fine with integrated graphics.

While I don't have any of these, there are hybrid computers that has
both. And I find this very interesting. And when graphic demands becomes
too great for integrated graphics they switch to dedicated graphics.

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Sir, you definitely are in need of writing help! Please check this
out.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/six-...d-verbs-agree/

Abi