Hard disk help urgently required plz read .......plz .....

Old July 2nd 03, 07:41 AM
Adrian

Default Hard disk help urgently required plz read .......plz .....

I'd try a low-level format on the drive first. A low-level formatter should
be available from IBM, or now, Hitachi.

~ Adrian ~

Old July 2nd 03, 12:28 PM
hammer

ok grabed the dft.exe from IBM will try that tonight , hopefully can get
this working again ...

Cheers for the help ...

There is a solution!"

http://www.giantcompany.com

Old July 2nd 03, 01:46 PM
G. Richard Stidger

I have successfully brought a HD back to life by sealing it in a
plastic bag and placing it in the freezer overnight.

I know it sounds strange, but I had a laptop drive that simply would
not boot. Gave a "disk controller error". After freezing, the drive
booted fine and I was able to get all the data off of it.

To my surprise, the drive continued to work after it warmed up.
However, I replaced it. My data is worth more than using a suspect
drive.

"hammer" bad_company'ala'barrysworld.com wrote:

Ok, I have ran fdisk to partition IBM deskstar 40gb drive all goes ok ,
reboot then partitions are lost. drive used to work. Then one day all
partitions where lost. Is this drive DEAD or can i repair it .

Have tried this to no avail:

fdisk/mbr
fdisk re-partitioning ( goes ok but doesn't hold partitions)
used diskpather but has error reading disk, can see old data but was only

demo version so limited functions)
partionmagic from Windows XP , get error on start up .
Tried installing Linux (mandrake 9.1 and redhat 7) to see if they could

partition drive, they failed.

any ideas would be gratefully recieved or do i just bin it, have new drive
now , but just wanted to see if i can salavage the drive.

cheers all

Jamie

Old July 3rd 03, 12:44 AM
Cyde Weys

G. Richard Stidger wrote:
I have successfully brought a HD back to life by sealing it in a
plastic bag and placing it in the freezer overnight.

I know it sounds strange, but I had a laptop drive that simply would
not boot. Gave a "disk controller error". After freezing, the drive
booted fine and I was able to get all the data off of it.

To my surprise, the drive continued to work after it warmed up.
However, I replaced it. My data is worth more than using a suspect
drive.

Where in the world did you hear to do something like that?

--
Usenet is a strange reality where you see people beating up a patch of
grass where nine years ago there used to be a horse. -Nuke

Old July 3rd 03, 01:01 AM
Adrian

Yes, I've heard of people doing that and apparently, it can work. Put it in
the freezer next to the frozen fish.

~ Adrian ~

Old July 3rd 03, 02:58 AM
kony

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:44:47 GMT, Cyde Weys
wrote:

G. Richard Stidger wrote:
I have successfully brought a HD back to life by sealing it in a
plastic bag and placing it in the freezer overnight.

I know it sounds strange, but I had a laptop drive that simply would
not boot. Gave a "disk controller error". After freezing, the drive
booted fine and I was able to get all the data off of it.

To my surprise, the drive continued to work after it warmed up.
However, I replaced it. My data is worth more than using a suspect
drive.

Where in the world did you hear to do something like that?

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...DD+AND+Freezer

Dave
Old July 3rd 03, 04:26 AM
G. Richard Stidger

I forget who told me, but it was a friend who knew someone whose HD
was revived by a computer tech using the freezer method.

I thought it was a real stretch, but I had nothing to lose.

Rich

Old July 3rd 03, 12:52 PM
santa

"Adrian" wrote in message
: I'd try a low-level format on the drive first. A low-level formatter
should
: be available from IBM, or now, Hitachi.
:
: ~ Adrian ~
:
:

Adrian,
unless the drive is MFM or some such there's no such thing as low level
format anymore. Hasn't been for years gone the way of the 5 1/4 floppy.
cheers
claus