Problem with playing avi or mpeg video. Help needed

Old February 11th 05, 12:58 PM
JD

Default Problem with playing avi or mpeg video. Help needed

Hi

I have recently upgraded to amd64 3200+ plus gigabyte motherboard. On my old
32bit chip I didn't have this problem. I am using my old geforce fx5600 card
256mb ram.

My problem is I can play an avi video using realplayer or windows media the
first time fine, but when I try to play another video it slows down,
whichever software I use. It plays very slow then freezes. I have found to
fix this I change my monitor refresh rate, ie if it is running at 85hz I
change it to 75hz. The video then runs ok until the next time I want to play
a video then I have to do the same thing, change it from 75hz to 85 hz. It
seems that the refresh rate needs to be changed to any setting to continue
playing another video without a reboot. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers and
latest gigabyte bios and drivers cant figure out what's going on,

Any suggestions??

Old March 9th 05, 02:31 AM
rdbrooks

JD Wrote:
[...]

I just built an athlon 64 pc myself with a chaintech mainboard and
2800+ athlon 64 cpu. I won't go into the specifics because this is
obviously not an issue particular to certain 64 bit hardware. I used an
asus nvidia geforce 5200 128 mb card for the video. I have the same
problem on this system. I haven't tested the video with a 32 bit
system, but I reformatted the drive and reinstalled windows, this time
letting the video run off of the default driver installed by windows
xp, which is nvidia geforce fx5200 (microsoft). This is the driver
windows had already in its database. For some reason, I was not able to
uninstall the nvidia drivers that came with the card and install this
one manually. It would only install during initial windows setup. I
installed all my graphics intensive programs afterwards to check
performance and everything was good. (Maybe not quite as good as before
with the nvidia drivers installed, but quite good.) I ran some tests
ripping a dvd to divx avi format and did not have the problem as
before. It only occurs when I install the official nvidia drivers for
the card. The latest updated drivers on the web are no help and changes
in nvidia settings do not correct it. Changes in windows media player
settings are also no help. There is apparently a compatibility issue
with the nvidia drivers and the athlon 64 platform. (By platform, I
mean the problem could be in the cpu, the chipset, or the chipset
drivers.) If you just want to be able to watch video properly, you can
use the divx player. It works just fine. (divx.com) If you want it all
to work right, you may have to reinstall windows and skip installing
the official drivers. I guess nvidia will eventually work this out, but
they haven't yet.

--
rdbrooks
Old August 17th 05, 06:22 AM
ftz

I have a Gigabyte mobo also and a AMD64 3200+ with a FX 5600 and my avi
and mpeg files looked really bad. I tested with archived nvidia
drivers and got it working so I hope nvidia fixes this on later
releases. Working nvidia driver "66.93_win2kxp_english.exe"

--
ftz
ftz's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1161

Old August 17th 05, 01:36 PM
Dave

"ftz" wrote in message

I have a Gigabyte mobo also and a AMD64 3200+ with a FX 5600 and my avi
and mpeg files looked really bad. I tested with archived nvidia
drivers and got it working so I hope nvidia fixes this on later
releases. Working nvidia driver "66.93_win2kxp_english.exe"

I had OK video with 66.93_XP but games rates were bad. Don't bother with
77.72, the video overlay has a bug for the gamma that jumps from 0.5 to 3.5
and can't be set in between.

I will be trying 77.77 as it supposed to fix that. I'm running an FX5700.

Dave

Old August 17th 05, 10:10 PM
ftz

Dave Wrote:
"ftz" wrote in message

I have a Gigabyte mobo also and a AMD64 3200+ with a FX 5600 and my

avi
and mpeg files looked really bad. I tested with archived nvidia
drivers and got it working so I hope nvidia fixes this on later
releases. Working nvidia driver "66.93_win2kxp_english.exe"

I had OK video with 66.93_XP but games rates were bad. Don't bother
with
77.72, the video overlay has a bug for the gamma that jumps from 0.5 to
3.5
and can't be set in between.

I will be trying 77.77 as it supposed to fix that. I'm running an
FX5700.

Dave

77.77 didn't work for me. This is really annoying. I thought I was
upgrading my PC and added a 200GB HDD and a DVD Burner in addition to
the new Mobo and AMD 64 chip. Big dissapointment. I've stuck with
nvidia but wonder if I should follow ATI for my next card? Any
suggestions???

Old August 18th 05, 03:47 AM
ftz

I loaded up 77.77 again on top of the 66.93 install and it works just
fine now. Strange!!!
I guess I'll have to remember that if I rebuild later.

Figured I better try the new ones again since I got bad performance on
CS Source with the 66.93 driver (Like you mentioned).

Thanks
Marc