problem playing avi files

Old January 29th 07, 04:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default problem playing avi files

Geforce FX5900XT on an asus K8VSEDX board with a 2.2 g AMD Athlon 64
cpu and 1024 mb ddr memory.

The problem: I can select and play an avi file in vlc, Nero showtime
or Creative Media Player. It plays fine. When it ends I select the
second part, or another, different avi file and try to play it.

Frame speed is reduced dramatically, leaving a jerky picture with the
sound out of sync. The only way I can play a second avi is to reboot.

Has anyone seen this, or can anyone point me at a cure? It's really,
really irritating....

ps I have tried with the very latest Nvidia files. No difference.

TIA...Pete
Old January 29th 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message . ..
wrote:
Geforce FX5900XT on an asus K8VSEDX board with a 2.2 g AMD Athlon 64
cpu and 1024 mb ddr memory.

The problem: I can select and play an avi file in vlc, Nero showtime
or Creative Media Player. It plays fine. When it ends I select the
second part, or another, different avi file and try to play it.

Frame speed is reduced dramatically, leaving a jerky picture with the
sound out of sync. The only way I can play a second avi is to reboot.

Has anyone seen this, or can anyone point me at a cure? It's really,
really irritating....

ps I have tried with the very latest Nvidia files. No difference.

TIA...Pete

Try these:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

At the very least, it will eliminate codecs as the source of the
problem, if it doesn't fix it completely.

That's about the worst advice I've ever heard.

A crap/hacked/cracked codec pack is that last thing you
need. Your AVI problem is likely due to too many codecs
installed on your system, not too few.

Old January 30th 07, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:50:54 -0500, "Mr.E Solved!"

Geforce FX5900XT on an asus K8VSEDX board with a 2.2 g AMD Athlon 64
cpu and 1024 mb ddr memory.

The problem: I can select and play an avi file in vlc, Nero showtime
or Creative Media Player. It plays fine. When it ends I select the
second part, or another, different avi file and try to play it.

Frame speed is reduced dramatically, leaving a jerky picture with the
sound out of sync. The only way I can play a second avi is to reboot.

Has anyone seen this, or can anyone point me at a cure? It's really,
really irritating....

ps I have tried with the very latest Nvidia files. No difference.

TIA...Pete

Try these:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

At the very least, it will eliminate codecs as the source of the
problem, if it doesn't fix it completely.

Thanks for the input - tried that - same result exactly.
Old January 30th 07, 12:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote in message ...
[...]

Now try uninstalling it, and when that doesn't work, you'll
need a fresh reformat/reinstall of your operating system to
get rid of these crap codecs.

Old January 30th 07, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Roger

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:18:28 GMT, wrote:

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message . ..
wrote:
[...]

The Lite codec pack is pretty well known and should cause no problems.
I use the Combined Community Codec Pack 2006 and previous versions for
the last year of so.

The thing to remember when installing new codecs is to remove the old
ones first. It may not be necessary in all cases, but is often
recommended.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old January 30th 07, 03:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message . ..
wrote:
[...]

K-Lite is better then Nimo, but they both still suck. At
least in many cases you can forget about removing old
codecs before installing these packs, because it's not
possible to do so.

If I had a dollar for every system that's been hosed by
these codec packs I'd be a multimillionaire.

Old January 30th 07, 05:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
goPostal

wrote in message
et...
wrote in message
[...]

How about some proof to back up your claim? There are thousands of people
who use K-Lite with great success. I think your view is more on the line of
"Well, there's a problem. It MUST be K-Lite causing it."

Old January 30th 07, 05:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"goPostal" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
et...
wrote in message
[...]

Good for them. My "proof" is almost ten years of fixing
systems hosed by these codec packs.