Compaq Evo laptop LCD Screen issues

Old February 10th 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Evo laptop LCD Screen issues

I have the same problem on my evo n800v... :crybaby:
but the pressure tip didn't work for me.
is the problem on the connector side (in notebook) , or on the other
side of the flat cable (behind the display)?

thanks!

Old February 17th 06, 12:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Good News

I had the same problem and did some research. Here's what I came up
with.

Firstly the screen type for the Eve N800v XSGA is part number
286871-001. A google search found this on ebay in the UK.

I rang HP (Australia) to be told the same thing, that cables are not
available separately and a new screen would be $1600

More searching revealed a part number 390436-001 for cables only.
I rang HP spares again and quoted the part number. Yes of course they
can supply it. About 10 days delivery from Singapore. $95.00 Au ex
I asked them what description they had and would it fit an EVO.

Searching for this part number shows several suppliers in the US.

The only information they could give was the description
"SPS-CABLE KIT, LCD"

It was delivered yesterday. It includes three cables for several
different models of EVO. I beleive the one I will use is M15BR1.5 I
will be installing it over the weekend.

There is a service guide on HP site which tells you how to disassemble
up to removing the screen. Your on your own in pulling the screen
apart to put the cable in. Just be patient and careful. Lots of
little plastic clips. I use a jewellers screw driver and sharp knife
(to get under the plastic clips)

Good Luck

Old February 28th 06, 05:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Hello there,

I bought a used Evo N800V laptop recently and found a very annoying
defect... The screen has got a vertical band where the image is not
shown correctly, but "distorted". It doesn't seem to be a
problem of dead pixels (and the LCD panel itself doesn't seem to have
been hit). The problem is that the pixels in that vertical band are
continuously flickering and reflecting the image corresponding to
other areas of the screen (like if it were a mirror). Please, have a
look at the following video (in DIVx format):

http://www.mazochungo.net/lcd.avi

You can see that, as I move the little window, the reflects produced
in the defective band change.

Here you have some static pictures where you can better distinguish
the aspect of that vertical band:

http://www.mazochungo.net/lcd1.jpg
http://www.mazochungo.net/lcd2.jpg
http://www.mazochungo.net/lcd3.jpg
http://www.mazochungo.net/lcd4.jpg

However I'm not sure that my problem is exactly the same as yours...
Do you think that in my case is also a problem of the video cable (HP
Part Number #390436-001) other than a problem of the LCD panel?

Anyway, how do I access that cable (that is, how do I check that it is
correctly connected and how do I try to apply pressure on it?). Is it
necessary to remove the LCD panel? If so, is it similar to what is
explained here?:

http://www.lcds4less.com/PDF/Laptop-...structions.pdf

Thank you very much in advance!

Old February 28th 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

I finally downloaded a "repair manual" PDF for this laptop
and managed to open it and to access the video cable. When I apply
some pressure to the end of the cable connected to the LCD panel
itself (that is the flat end), the aspect of the vertical band
changes and the number of "reflects" decrease (I mean: the
band becomes less noticeable). But when I stop applying pressure, the
band goes back to its initial aspect (or even with more reflects).

Does this mean that it is a problem of the video cable itself, instead
of a problem of the LCD panel?

I will keep trying...

PS: Johnsondata, did you finally fix the problem by changing the cable
with the one you received from HP?

Old March 1st 06, 03:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Hi mazochungo

Yes the cable from HP did fix my problems, which were general
degradation of screen resolution over the whole screen. It was like
whole vertical rows of pixels not working.

My cable was faulty where it goes around the hinge. ie where it has to
flex or bend most often. By applying pressure at this point it would
come good.

Where the flat cable attaches to the back of the LCD, you should be
able to disconnect. It has some tape holding it in place.

It does sound though, that it could be a problem with the screen.

The cable kit comes with 3 cables for 3 different models.

Mine was for the SXGA 15" LCD
there is one for XGA 15" LCD
and one for 14" LCD

regards
David

Old July 5th 06, 09:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
alanbold

Looks like i have the same problem, does anyone have a pdf of the
service manual or point me to a link that will help me open up my evo
N800 laptop.
Thanks

Old April 21st 07, 08:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
spalm

I also have the same problem with both the N800v and N800c.
Currently have about 5 to repair. Can you tell me where to purchase
the PN 390436-001 cable kit for AU$95 as I can only find it for over
$150

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 April 1st 05 04:05 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 06:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 March 13th 05 02:52 PM
Compaq Laptop Parts for Sale Valueplay Compaq Computers 1 February 20th 05 01:30 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM