ATIMMC invalid page fault

Old January 6th 04, 07:07 PM
Larry B.

Default ATIMMC invalid page fault

I have Win98SE and just installed a new AIW 9000Pro with MMC 8.1.

The card works fine. I wanted to try the MMC program for capturing video but
within 3 seconds of opening up the TV tuner from the Launch Pad, I get two
atimmc errors. First is an invalid page fault to CONEXC.DLL. After I clear
that, I get an invalid page fault to Kernel32.dll. Of course, when that
happens, its all over.

I have uninstalled every ATI program and removed the two program file
folders left behind, too. I even deleted the two ATI registry keys that
referred to conexc.dll and the dll file itself. Then I reinstalled but
nothing has changed. I was hoping to eventually upgrade to the downloaded
8.8 but for right now, I am working with the CD supplied with the card. Let'
just get that stabilized to start with!

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

LarryB

Old January 6th 04, 10:28 PM
Larry B.

"Larry B." wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

After having done another search for info, I did find a thread on this that
I will pursue (about corrupted codecs). And I do recall that this problem
seemed to
happen after I had installed (and then subsequently uninstalled) Pinnacle
Studio 8 (Ati). So, I will ck this out and get back if need be. Thx

Old January 7th 04, 12:14 AM
Laurence Wilmer

"Larry B." wrote in message
link.net...

"Larry B." wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Just had to chuckle at that - "install then uninstall Pinnacle" - yes that's
exactly what I did!

Anyway, most problems I have had with ATI AIW 9000 drivers have been to do
with less than totally thorough uninstalls. So my new policy is to keep a
Ghost backup of a fresh Windows install with soundcard drivers and all my
apps, but NO ATI software, and work from that.

Since doing that, I have had no problems, using ATI AIW 9000 PRO on W98SE,
have had Cat3.7 MMC8.1 working fine for a long time, recently went to Cat
3.10 MMC 8.8. But ever got MMC8.6 to work - just 8.1 now 8.8

It takes quite a bit of work to ensure that Windows Media Encoder, DAO/MDAC
are all present and correct versions before adding MMC. There is a good
summary of how to do a clean uninstall he
http://www.pcphotovideo.com/ati.htm

Good luck.
Laurence

Old January 7th 04, 03:43 PM
Larry B

"Laurence Wilmer" wrote in
message ...

"Larry B." wrote in message
link.net...

"Larry B." wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

There is a fix process using an ErrorLog that involves adding a
registry key. I can do this but would appreciate a little more info on
doing it. The info on the key looks more like an entry in Win.ini so I
am not sure of how to set up the data in the key.

The original posting on this is:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33675153

Thanks, LarryB

Old January 7th 04, 07:31 PM
Laurence Wilmer

"Larry B" wrote in message
hlink.net...
snip

There is a fix process using an ErrorLog that involves adding a
registry key. I can do this but would appreciate a little more info on
doing it. The info on the key looks more like an entry in Win.ini so I
am not sure of how to set up the data in the key.

The original posting on this is:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33675153

Thanks, LarryB

So far as I understand it, the fix mentioned is the removal of the bad
codec.
The registry entry, I would guess, creates a file logme.txt when the crash
happens so as to help identify the bad codec that is causing it.

I don't have any entry ErrorLog under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI
Technologies\Multimedia\ so I assume its a case of using regedit to create
that key. (After making a backup, of course!).

But installed codecs are listed in Control Panel, Multimedia, Devices. I
can't see any easy way to get a text file listing, so here is my manually
transcribed list (with just Catalyst 3.10 and PowerDVD installed - all
working!).

ATIYV12 [YU12]
ATIYV12 [YV12]
ATI VCR1
ATI VCR2
ATI YUY
Cinepak
DVIDEV
Indeo 3.1
Indeo 3.2
Indeo Video 5.06
" " 4.4
iyuv_32
IYVU9_32
msh263 [UYVY]
msyv [YVYU]
RLE
VDOnet
Video 1

Good grief what a load of double dutch!

Why not just try removing any you have that are not on this list?

Also, I have found Gspot http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html
helpful to determine just what codecs are needed to play individual files.

Good luck,
Laurence

Old January 7th 04, 08:21 PM
Laurence Wilmer

"Larry B" wrote in message
hlink.net...

snip

There is a fix process using an ErrorLog that involves adding a
registry key. I can do this but would appreciate a little more info on
doing it. The info on the key looks more like an entry in Win.ini so I
am not sure of how to set up the data in the key.

The original posting on this is:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33675153

Thanks, LarryB

PS: To answer the question you actually asked:- (!)

1.Run Regedit - navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ATI
Technologies\Multimedia

2. EDIT NEW key - add ErrorLog key

3. Select the new key and EDIT NEW String Value - 4 times to add the
strings Min, Max, Window, File (you do NOT need the quotes)

4. Select each new String and MODIFY the values (right click on mine) for
each string to those given.

Works for me - get a text log when run MMC, which will list errors

HTH,
Laurence

Old January 9th 04, 01:00 AM
Larry B.

"Laurence Wilmer" wrote in message

"Larry B" wrote in message
hlink.net...

snip

[...]

Hi Laurence, thanks.

Point of question. When I create the 4 new string values, am I supposed to
rename each one with Min, Max, etc and only put in the 0, 500, 1000,
c:\\logme.txt via MODIFY?? I tried it and it did not work. I assume that
the log will be located in the c: root directory.

Thanks, Larry