ATI SUCKS!!!! DO NOT BUY ATI PRODUCTS OR YOU'LL BE SORRY!!

Old October 16th 03, 04:24 AM
Chimera

tonto wrote:
You are absolutely right. I have spent so much money on different ATI
cards since my first AIW 8 Meg. up to 8500DV 64 Meg. and I still can't
believe my stupidity. I keep buying their crap. But I think this is
the last card I buy from them. You literally have to be a computer
programer to install and or update their drivers.
Support is non existant because we are to stupid to see through the
false advertising and the flashy ads that they promote.

its their MMC stuff that is horse ****, granted. The AIW is a great idea,
backed up by some woeful software.
In the end i gave up on their AIW cards, bought a R9000 & a cheap tuner card
for half the price

Once again, the software that comes with the tuner card was horse ****, but
using software like VirtualDub, it is not extremely simple to use

Old October 16th 03, 06:41 AM
GMAN

In article , "Tim Reed" wrote:
I have used an AIW Radeon w/Media Center for a couple of years and it has
ALWAYS been trouble; thru 3 different OSs - Win98, Win2000 & Win XP Pro -
and I have NEVER been free from crashes & malfunctions despite frequent
updates. But tonight I really blew a gasket. I was using MC 8.5 to record a
crucial ball game - and when I got home the f**ker had CRASHED during the
record!!! No temp file to salvage, either (and no, the storage drive was
*not* full; 65gb available). This is on a machine that got a recent clean
install starting w/XP Pro and the latest drivers from ati.com!!! GODDAMN
THIS PRODUCT SUCKS, THIS IS A FREQUENT OCCURANCE AND I AM *SICK* OF
IT!!!!!!!!

Am I the only user who has had these problems? Does this product work
reliably for anyone???? Windows error reporting has identified the source of
many other crashes as being the ATI graphics drivers; I've also been
experiencing spontaneous reboots, which I can't say for sure are caused by
ATI but I have a pretty strong suspicion ...

Can anyone recommend a competitive TV tuner/capture card that actually
WORKS??? I've had enough of ATI, and am advising all of my friends &
relatives to RUN, DON'T WALK from ATI products. (Yeah, I know I've got an
older card - but it has *NEVER* worked properly; why should I pay $$$ for
another ATI product & trust that it will work better?)

My machine:
V-Card: AIW Radeon
ASUS A7M266 w/AMD 1.333 GHz Athlon
RAM: 512 MB
Scratch drive: Has 65Gb free
System: Recent *clean* install WinXP Pro
Drivers: Latest from ATI (6.14.10.6387)

Some scenarios:
1. Set up PVR record. Come home later to either (a) MC is frozen, Windows
crash notification, or (b) freshly-rebooted system, no recording. Happens
MORE THAN HALF of the time!
2. Sometimes MC crashes while just watching TV. Frequent.
3. Sometimes while watching TV, picture spontaneously "zooms" (upper 1/4 of
picture fills screen, no way to restore). Not common, but not rare either;
may be more common while watching TV-on-demand.
4. Use the jog feature more than once or twice & the picture freezes.
5. Just got MC to crash by resetting screen res & turning off TV display,
them moving the TV window (I can still hear the audio, but the player app is
gone).

There are *plenty* more, these are just the most recent/frequent.

pant, pant ... Sorry to bitch but this POS has been a thorn in my side for
years. I've been lurking here occasionally and haven't seen anything likely
to help ...

Get a Goddamn TIVO and be done with it!!!!

Old October 16th 03, 07:22 AM
ernie samulaitis

you're first mistake is putting a lame-ass AMD processor in there.

have fun heating your house...
zax0n

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, J.Clarke wrote:

Quit dinking around and get a Tivo.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old October 16th 03, 12:53 PM
Jamie_Manic

"Tim Reed" wrote in message

Am I the only user who has had these problems?

I've never had any problems.

Old October 16th 03, 04:26 PM
chrisv

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:08:17 -0500, "Strontium"
wrote:

Cubs suck, anyway.

Ever hear of trimming posts?

Old October 16th 03, 07:29 PM
Tim Reed

"Chimera" wrote in message

its their MMC stuff that is horse ****, granted. The AIW is a great idea,
backed up by some woeful software.
In the end i gave up on their AIW cards, bought a R9000 & a cheap tuner

card
for half the price

Once again, the software that comes with the tuner card was horse ****,

but
using software like VirtualDub, it is not extremely simple to use

It's not the software so much as the crappy graphics drivers; they've just
never seem to have gottem them right.

Old October 17th 03, 06:57 PM
Pluvious

wrote:

I have used an AIW Radeon w/Media Center for a couple of years and it has
ALWAYS been trouble;

I suggest you buy a Tivo.

Pluvious

Old October 17th 03, 10:33 PM
Tim Reed

"ernie samulaitis" wrote in message
you're first mistake is putting a lame-ass AMD processor in there.

have fun heating your house...
zax0n

Just out of idle curiosity ... Are you suggesting that the processor is, in
fact, the cause of the specific troubles described in my post? Or ... are
you just an opionated asshole with nothing of substance to add to this
thread?? Apart from my video problems my system is just fine, thank you.

Old October 17th 03, 10:56 PM
Tim Reed

wrote:

I have used an AIW Radeon w/Media Center for a couple of years and it has
ALWAYS been trouble;

I suggest you buy a Tivo.

Okay, here's the fifth lame-ass post suggesting that I bag the card as a
PVR. My question for all of you is: The f'ing card was MARKETED and SOLD as
a PVR - shouldn't we hold ATI responsible for making the damn thing do what
it was MADE for???