I spilled water on my toshiba laptop keyboard

Old September 2nd 04, 01:04 PM
moonslight

Default I spilled water on my toshiba laptop keyboard

spilled water on my toshiba laptop keyboard. Then i try to dry it for
12 hours by taking battery and adaptor and all drives out. so it
started working fine but few bottom keys on which water was spilled
are still not working. Please advice me what to do.

==============
Old September 2nd 04, 01:25 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
moonslight wrote:
spilled water on my toshiba laptop keyboard. Then i try to dry it for
12 hours by taking battery and adaptor and all drives out. so it
started working fine but few bottom keys on which water was spilled
are still not working. Please advice me what to do.

==============

Use a hair drier on it. (I've seen professional recovery people use a
resteraunt convection oven on water-soaked electronics circuit
boards.)

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old September 2nd 04, 06:36 PM
BigJIm

if the above post doesn't work and you cant get a replacement keyboard you
can buy a mini
usb keyboard. they are about 30 dollars.
"moonslight" wrote in message
spilled water on my toshiba laptop keyboard. Then i try to dry it for
12 hours by taking battery and adaptor and all drives out. so it
started working fine but few bottom keys on which water was spilled
are still not working. Please advice me what to do.

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.

Old September 3rd 04, 06:06 AM
Kitsune

If your laptop is still under warranty, take it back to the
distributor and have it serviced. If not, visit a computer repair
technician. The contacts are probably fried now, and the board will
have to be replaced. I'm not familiar with the internal architecture
of toshiba laptops, so I can't even ballpark how much it will cost to
fix, but my advice is to avoid big chains like Future Shop if at all
possible, as they tend to charge more than small independent computer
places.

==============
Old September 3rd 04, 03:05 PM
moonslight

I see...my warranty expired last year.

I was wondering, considering that everythign is working fine like all
applications and i am using even internet, and i am also accessing
all files from hard drive and everywhere, will only replacing laptop
keyboard will help ?or do i have to take it for a check.

==============
Old September 3rd 04, 07:16 PM
spodosaurus

moonslight wrote:
I see...my warranty expired last year.

I was wondering, considering that everythign is working fine like all
applications and i am using even internet, and i am also accessing
all files from hard drive and everywhere, will only replacing laptop
keyboard will help ?or do i have to take it for a check.

==============

You can run basic hardware checks like hard drive and memory yourself
fairly easilly, using the hard drive manufacturer's testing software
which tests for SMART errors and memtest86. Are you still having those
keyboard difficulties? Personally, I hate messing about with laptops.
But if you can get your hands on a dead old one and the service manual,
you could replace it yourself.

Old September 4th 04, 02:39 AM
David Maynard

moonslight wrote:

I see...my warranty expired last year.

I was wondering, considering that everythign is working fine like all
applications and i am using even internet, and i am also accessing
all files from hard drive and everywhere, will only replacing laptop
keyboard will help ?or do i have to take it for a check.

Odds are the problem was caused by deposited dirt/grime left on the
keyboard contacts when the water dried up, or even some corrosion.

==============

Old September 4th 04, 04:16 AM
PaulCsouls

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 20:39:49 -0500, David Maynard
wrote:
Odds are the problem was caused by deposited dirt/grime left on the
keyboard contacts when the water dried up, or even some corrosion.

That's probably it. You'll need to open it up and wipe it down. Just
make sure everything is dry before you turn it on. Also if you try the
hair dryer idea make sure the unit is off and cools down before you
turn it on.
Old September 4th 04, 06:02 AM
spodosaurus

wrote:

Odds are the problem was caused by deposited dirt/grime left on the
keyboard contacts when the water dried up, or even some corrosion.

That's probably it. You'll need to open it up and wipe it down. Just
make sure everything is dry before you turn it on. Also if you try the
hair dryer idea make sure the unit is off and cools down before you
turn it on.

He already turned it on after only 12 hours....*sigh*