New HD: SMART Fail: Reallocated sector Count

Old January 31st 09, 09:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
judas

Default New HD: SMART Fail: Reallocated sector Count

Hi, I just bough a 1TB WD Black Caviar HD...installed and formatted
yesterday. Today windows has told me several times that a failure was
detected, anmd taht I should back up al lthe data.

I went on to WDs website and downloaded diagnistic utility. It says the
HDhas SMART failures, and says the item that failed is:

Smart ID: 5 Reallocated sector count
Value: 136
Threshold: 140
Worst: 136

I have no data on the HD yet, so what do you advice me to do? Warranty?
Try to fix it? how?

Thank you!!!!!

Old February 1st 09, 04:14 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

judas wrote:

I just bough a 1TB WD Black Caviar HD...installed and formatted
yesterday. Today windows has told me several times that a failure
was detected, anmd taht I should back up al lthe data.

I went on to WDs website and downloaded diagnistic utility. It
says the HDhas SMART failures, and says the item that failed is:

Smart ID: 5 Reallocated sector count
Value: 136
Threshold: 140
Worst: 136

I have no data on the HD yet, so what do you advice me to do?

See if they will replace it under warranty.

Warranty?

Yes.

Try to fix it?

Its already fixed itself. Watch it to see if that number increases over time.

how?

Its possible that you have a bad power supply or something. I'd put it
in a physically different system to eliminate that possibility if it was mine.

Old February 1st 09, 08:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
judas[_2_]

Hey, thanl for the prompt reply. I'm sorry if this is stupid question,
but a lower value is better right? 136 now dropped to 116. Also, it
fails the "quick test", but passed the extended test. Should I still try
to replace it under warranty or wait and see?

(replacement is an otion, but it is unconvenient as I lie in Colombia
and need to find someone that travels to the States to do it...)

Old February 1st 09, 05:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

judas wrote:

[...]

Its not.

but a lower value is better right?

Depends on the number you are talking about. You
should have zero reallocated sectors in a drive that new.

136 now dropped to 116.

Which 136 was that, presumably both the Value and Worst ?

Also, it fails the "quick test", but passed the extended test.
Should I still try to replace it under warranty or wait and see?

I'd replace it under warranty right now if it was mine.

They may not be prepared to do that tho.

(replacement is an otion, but it is unconvenient as I lie in Colombia
and need to find someone that travels to the States to do it...)

OK, gets tricky. Presumably you cant try it in a physically different
system to decide if its the drive or the system its being used in ?

Old February 1st 09, 07:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:38:10 -0600, judas
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hi, I just bough a 1TB WD Black Caviar HD...installed and formatted
yesterday. Today windows has told me several times that a failure was
detected, anmd taht I should back up al lthe data.

I went on to WDs website and downloaded diagnistic utility. It says the
HDhas SMART failures, and says the item that failed is:

Smart ID: 5 Reallocated sector count
Value: 136
Threshold: 140
Worst: 136

I have no data on the HD yet, so what do you advice me to do? Warranty?
Try to fix it? how?

Thank you!!!!!

It's time for a warranty replacement.

The following example shows a Caviar drive with 0 reallocated sectors:
http://www.synology.es/enu/forum/vie...=6942&start=15

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME* * * * * FLAG* * *VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE* * *
UPDATED* WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct* *0x0033* *200* *200* *140* * Pre-fail*
Always* * * *- *0

Here is an example of an 80GB Caviar drive with a FAILED SMART status:
http://forum.dobreprogramy.pl/%5C%5C...?f=19&t=195190

ID Current Worst Threshold Data Status
(05) Reallocated Sector Count 138 138 140 977 Failed

The normalised threshold is 140. Anything below that results in a
"failed" status.

In your case you need to look at the raw value. You will probably find
in excess of 1,000 reallocated sectors, maybe 1300 (current normalised
value = 116).

BTW, lower numbers are worse for the normalised value (ideal value =
200), but better for the raw value (ideal value = 0).

- Franc Zabkar
Old February 1st 09, 09:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously judas wrote:

Hey, thanl for the prompt reply. I'm sorry if this is stupid question,
but a lower value is better right? 136 now dropped to 116.

No. For all SMART (except temperature), lower is worse.

Also, it
fails the "quick test", but passed the extended test.

A failed test is grounds for a warranty return.

Should I still try
to replace it under warranty or wait and see?

It could be nothing. A few defects on a new drive can
be coincidence. It could also mean this drive was mihandled
(e.g. dropped) and will die soon.

(replacement is an otion, but it is unconvenient as I lie in Colombia
and need to find someone that travels to the States to do it...)

Ok, in this case here is my advice. Run about 5 more long selftests
and mnitor thr attributes. If you do not get additional defects,
continue to use the drive, but run a long selftest once a day
for a week, then every 2-3 days for a month. No additional
failures (one or two more defects are not necessary a problem)
and you are likely fine. Incidentially, I run a long selftest
every 14 days on all my drives, just to get early earning.

Arno
Old February 1st 09, 09:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

Ah, sorry. I mistook the "5" for the raw reallocated value
in my other posting. A "coocked" value of 5 is very, very bad and
I agree that this thing is almost dead.

Arno
Old February 1st 09, 09:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously judas wrote:

[...]

Sorry, ignore this. I am so used to work with raw SMART values
that is mistook thr 5 for the raw reallocated value. This drive
is dying (in fact almost dead), replace it.

Arno
Old February 1st 09, 11:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
fang[_2_]

Arno Wagner wrote:
[...]

It isnt even the cooked value, its just the SMART ID value.

is very, very bad and I agree that this thing is almost dead.

You're utterly mangling the story.

Old February 2nd 09, 02:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously fang wrote:
Arno Wagner wrote:
[...]

So?

is very, very bad and I agree that this thing is almost dead.

You're utterly mangling the story.

No. Reallocated below threshold (and it is) is allmost dead
with the parametrisation of practically all drive vendors.

Arno