PCI Express shuttle systems?!?!

Old May 28th 04, 08:22 PM
Rob Jellinghaus

Default PCI Express shuttle systems?!?!

Looks like the PCI Express wave starts to break on the shores of the PC
industry around the end of June.

I'm looking to upgrade my 1999 Abit BH6 system (Celeron 1.2Ghz, GeForce
3) this summer... been so long since I climbed aboard the bleeding edge
that I can't resist :-D

I love the small form factor PCs. My ideal system from a hardware
perspective would be a PCI Express motherboard, NV45/R423-level
graphics, high-end (maybe not Athlon FX-53, but close) CPU, dual 200+Gb
SATA drives in a RAID 1 array. And huuuuge extra bonus points if this
is in a small form factor!!! :-D

But probably it won't be possible this summer to get such a small system
because NV45/R423 will be power suckers and shuttle systems generally
can't fit two drives, can they?

Also, anyone know what AMD motherboards will be first out the gate with
PCI Express support? (Part of me wants to wait for a PCI Express
NForce, but I hear that might be late Q3 or Q4, and I really want this
system in August... see, my wife is pregnant and expecting our first
child in November, and I have to have the system for at least three
months before that :-D :-D )

Cheers!
Rob
Old June 3rd 04, 05:23 AM
Rob Jellinghaus

OK, so no one had anything to say. Fine.

Guess I'll be the only one drooling over THIS:

http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=6810

Talk about my dreams come true! Thank you, Shuttle. Where's the best
place online (or offline, for that matter) to buy Shuttle systems?

Cheers!!!
Rob

Old June 3rd 04, 05:14 PM
Rob Jellinghaus

And finally:

Is this thread off topic for this group? The silence is so resounding
that I am wondering whether everyone is just thinking "what a loser,
posting about systems in the chips newsgroup." But the
c.s.i.p.h.systems group seems so, well, low-level compared to this one....

Anyway, if my netiquette or net.clue is lacking, please feel free to
enlighten me.

Cheers!
Rob

Old June 3rd 04, 06:56 PM
Robert Redelmeier

Rob Jellinghaus wrote:
Is this thread off topic for this group? The silence is so resounding
that I am wondering whether everyone is just thinking "what a loser,
posting about systems in the chips newsgroup." But the
c.s.i.p.h.systems group seems so, well, low-level compared to this one....

Mobo Form factors are generally uninteresting around here.
People like to stick with the standard ATX for the variety
available, and most chassis see quite a rotation of motherboards.
The heat generation these days (and PSU requirements) are throwing
smaller form factors into serious doubt.

Anyway, if my netiquette or net.clue is lacking, please
feel free to enlighten me.

Top-posting is not considered good form because it makes
conversations hard to follow and others to contribute towards.

-- Robert