With restored image on new Laptop HD - Sign in then auto log offthen sign in and ditto ditto

Old April 12th 08, 10:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rock

Default With restored image on new Laptop HD - Sign in then auto log offthen sign in and ditto ditto

Hi,

As a follow up to a previous post..

I have just put a new larger HD in my laptop and with True Image, made an
image, then just restored it.

It boots okay to the Login panel.

When I log in (without a pwd which is how I have been doing it forever),
I see the 'Loading your files' panel for a second, then get the 'logging off'
panel.

I hear both Windows songs, logging in and logging off then it takes me back to
the Login panel and it all starts again.

Any help please?

I have XP Pro with all the updates (Legit!)

rock
Old April 12th 08, 10:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Rock wrote:

As a follow up to a previous post..

Its better to reply to your original post.

I have just put a new larger HD in my laptop and with True Image, made an image, then just restored it.

It boots okay to the Login panel.

When I log in (without a pwd which is how I have been doing it forever), I see the 'Loading your files' panel for a
second, then get the 'logging off' panel.

I hear both Windows songs, logging in and logging off then it takes
me back to the Login panel and it all starts again.

Any help please?

I have XP Pro with all the updates (Legit!)

Try a repair install using the XP CD.

Old April 12th 08, 10:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rock

Rod Speed wrote:
Rock wrote:

As a follow up to a previous post..

Its better to reply to your original post.

I have just put a new larger HD in my laptop and with True Image, made an image, then just restored it.

It boots okay to the Login panel.

When I log in (without a pwd which is how I have been doing it forever), I see the 'Loading your files' panel for a
second, then get the 'logging off' panel.

I hear both Windows songs, logging in and logging off then it takes
me back to the Login panel and it all starts again.

Any help please?

I have XP Pro with all the updates (Legit!)

Try a repair install using the XP CD.

For the life of me I can't find the CD. I bought it in 2002 when I got the
laptop and haven't had to use it since with all the updates coming in from the
i'net.

I'm still looking though.

I do still have the original Hard Drive with the working XP on it, maybe I can
put it back and do something pre the clone or image?

Thanks

Old April 12th 08, 11:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rock

Rock wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Rock wrote:

[...]

Well, I put the original HD into the external USB, plugged it in and started it.

To my surprise XP loaded from the external version. No choosing just went
straight to it in preference to the cloned one on the C drive in the laptop.

I am able to see the C drive and all the others now and was wondering if there
was anything I could do now that i have this access. Is there a file I can add
to the cloned version on the C drive?

There is obviously something missing in the cloned one for it to choose the
other external over it, correct?

rock
Old April 12th 08, 11:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Rock wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Rock wrote:

[...]

Did you image the physical drive or just the partition ?

If you did image the physical drive, try a later build of True Image.

Old April 12th 08, 11:48 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Rock wrote:
Rock wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Rock wrote:

[...]

Try resetting the laptop bios and telling it to boot off the new internal drive.

I am able to see the C drive and all the others now and was wondering
if there was anything I could do now that i have this access. Is
there a file I can add to the cloned version on the C drive?

Yes, likely something is missing on the new internal drive, but its easier
to just image the original again using a later build of True Image.

There is obviously something missing in the cloned one for it to choose the other external over it, correct?

Not necessarily, its more likely you have told the bios to boot the external
first and when there is no bootable external, it boots the internal instead.

Old April 13th 08, 12:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rock

Rod Speed wrote:
Rock wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Rock wrote:

[...]

Thanks.

I imaged the CD drive partition with the XP Pro on it only.

Yes I'll try the Bios first then, may do another image to see if that one
works. I am choosing the option that gives me the USB drives etc.

I'd try a clone however it will only clone the full drive and not the partition
and I am going from 1 2 partition old drive to a 3 partition larger drive which
already has gobs of stuff on it.

I have TI 10, so I guess it is not the program, either me or a gremlin
somewhere. Trouble is, it is so time consuming at a time when I need it like a
hole in the head.

Your help is gratefully received, thank you again.

rock

Old April 13th 08, 03:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andy

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 08:22:53 +1000, Rock wrote:

Rock wrote:

Well, I put the original HD into the external USB, plugged it in and started it.

To my surprise XP loaded from the external version. No choosing just went
straight to it in preference to the cloned one on the C drive in the laptop.

I am able to see the C drive and all the others now and was wondering if there
was anything I could do now that i have this access. Is there a file I can add
to the cloned version on the C drive?

There is obviously something missing in the cloned one for it to choose the
other external over it, correct?

XP won't boot from a USB drive.
Run Disk Management, and take a look at the status of the system,
boot, and page file partitions. They should all be on the clone disk,
but obviously are not.

rock

Old April 13th 08, 07:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Rock wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Rock wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Rock wrote

[...]

Thats likely the problem, you should image the entire physical drive.

Yes I'll try the Bios first then, may do another image to see if that one works. I am choosing the option that gives
me the USB drives etc.

The main problem with your story that its booting from the original
drive over the USB is that XP shouldnt be able to do that, so that
is unlikely to be what is actually happening. Its more likely that its
actually booting from the new 160GB drive, and is finding what is
missing on the 160GB drive on the old drive on the USB and so
boots the 160GB drive when the old one is visible to the boot.

I'd try a clone however it will only clone the full drive and not the partition and I am going from 1 2 partition old
drive to a 3 partition larger drive which already has gobs of stuff on it.

OK, that will be the problem. You arent getting the stuff thats on the
front of the physical drive, outside the partitions, onto the new drive.

I have TI 10, so I guess it is not the program,

It can be. Acronis does release stuff too early, so if it doesnt work as it
should, its always worth trying a later build, particularly with the latest version.

either me

Yes, the problem is that you arent imaging the entire physical drive, just the partitions.

or a gremlin somewhere. Trouble is, it is so time consuming at a time when I need it like a hole in the head.

Yeah, more complicated configs like you are attempting can be a real pain to get going.

Your help is gratefully received, thank you again.

No problem, thats what these technical newsgroups are for.

Old April 14th 08, 12:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

"Rock" wrote in message u...
Rock wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Rock wrote:

[...]

XP is booting from the internal drive, but it no longer is C. Hence the failure at logon.

By the time it reaches logon screen, everything is loading from the USB drive, which is C.